PDA

View Full Version : 2012 so far...

JeffK26
04-05-2012, 01:53 PM
This is basically how it's been working so far...I work for my LCO mentor on Mon, Wed, Fri and mow my lawns on Tues and Thurs..

I've lost a few bids to other companies, won a few...I've even won 2 bids when I bid higher.

-I have 15 accounts...started the season with 5 from snow removal customers.
-one bid outstanding (calling her tomorrow for a follow up)
-handed my business cards out to 3 people asking me for one in stores, one business card to someone that stopped while i was mowing a customer ( gonna get the card holder for my truck soon )...another to an older couple that asked me how busy i was and complained their guy hasn't shown up the day they scheduled 3 weeks in a row now.
-One customer i signed yesterday is scheduled for next week, he mowed it Tuesday and his arthritis is worse this year and is giving up on it, so he called me from a flyer. He says his neighbor is going to see how I do and if he approves of the job I do, then he'll hire me as well.
-I have turned down 2 PITA's...one never gave me the go ahead for mowing...I did snow removal for her and she said she'd let me know about mowing, I called repeatedly, but without a yes I didn't mow...So the 5th time I called her I left a message telling her I have clients saying yes and I can no longer fit her in my schedule on a maybe...another wanted to cut her own lawn, but call me when she didn't feel like it or got too busy. I politely said I'm not an on call service, I have a schedule and adhere to a schedule and said no.
-I bought a trailer and an edger.
-And in the crew comments on the route printouts I have in all caps "TAKE PICS" so i remember to get the camera out and take pics. I'm always forgetting.

Hedgemaster
04-05-2012, 08:06 PM
I don't know if you've seen my thread (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=14103), but while time consuming to do, I found it very interesting to go back and read later.

Glad things are shaping up for you!

I had an "as needed" client last season. It was cool because they were near another client that really isn't close to any of my other jobs, so I was happy to grab a few extra dollars here and there.
He moved, and asked about having me mow his new place. I knew that he wasn't interested in keeping a pristine lawn, so I asked if he's like to be put on a biweekly schedule. He didn't want to commit - he "wanted to see how fast the grass grows" first. I explained that I can't stretch cuts out past 2 weeks as I need to keep on a schedule. He agreed to biweekly.

What size trailer did you get?

Pics are a really good idea for several reasons:

Before/after
Proof of pre-existing conditions/damage
Images for a web site
Images for advertising
A visual reminder of when things bloom/how high the grass is on a certain date in the spring for first cuts
Taking pics of your freshly waxed mower instead of working :D

JeffK26
04-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Glad things are shaping up for you!
Thanks! It's going better than expected.

I had an "as needed" client last season. It was cool because they were near another client that really isn't close to any of my other jobs, so I was happy to grab a few extra dollars here and there.
He moved, and asked about having me mow his new place. I knew that he wasn't interested in keeping a pristine lawn, so I asked if he's like to be put on a biweekly schedule. He didn't want to commit - he "wanted to see how fast the grass grows" first. I explained that I can't stretch cuts out past 2 weeks as I need to keep on a schedule. He agreed to biweekly.
I would consider if it was a neighbor of an existing or future client where I didn't have to move my truck...but this lady is a true pain. She works at the place I had my shirts done. She took forever to do them, messed them up by putting my personal number on them instead of business number...she's always "forgetting" something, so I imagine it would only get worse than better.

What size trailer did you get?
5x8...very sturdy, my uncle has a welder and is experienced so we're going to add some things to it. I'll take pics this weekend when I get it. I couldn't pass up on the price so I bought it and the guy was nice enough to let me keep it at his place until this weekend. I'm not huge yet, but I am growing faster than expected so I still have to take my truck in to get wiring and a hitch for it.

Pics are a really good idea for several reasons:

Before/after
Proof of pre-existing conditions/damage
Images for a web site
Images for advertising
A visual reminder of when things bloom/how high the grass is on a certain date in the spring for first cuts
Taking pics of your freshly waxed mower instead of working :D
Good pointers. I just plain forget, I carry a camera but I'm out mowing and halfway finished before I think "crap i should have taken pics!"...so now i have a reminder on the crew comments in Gopher haha

Hedgemaster
04-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Most cameras can be had in a relatively small size. If I think of it, I pop it into a cargo pocket in my pants, but most times it's in the truck, so I have to walk back to get it.

I'm thinking of getting a phone case for it and carrying it on me like my phone - always ready.

CHEESE2009
04-06-2012, 09:24 PM
You can get a fancy phone with a nice camera...

Mine has it, but I HATE new technology... I'll be burying my VHS movies tomorrow...

JeffK26
04-06-2012, 10:22 PM
You can get a fancy phone with a nice camera...

Mine has it, but I HATE new technology... I'll be burying my VHS movies tomorrow...

haha...

I have a good camera...a very good camera, i just forget to take it out to take pics. I don't want to carry it since breakage happens.

btw, picked up a cleanup from a current customer. I talked to the mentor LCO today after working for him....we may be parting ways since i'm getting busier than expected.....I offered to fill in...it's just I'm at that point like Mark is...I'm not big enough to want to drop a paycheck with a very knowledgeable person....but I'm no longer small enough that I can dedicate 3 days a week to him...

JeffK26
04-07-2012, 09:28 AM
My new used trailer...Gotta get plates for it on Monday and then it's ready to go!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ufV0YdcLuLY/T4BP_iQx6xI/AAAAAAAAAZo/zSTmBISZzdo/s640/DSCF1837.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-MLo2dFYE8Nc/T4BP_ts5QKI/AAAAAAAAAZg/u-vuBxPr1kg/s640/DSCF1838.JPG

CHEESE2009
04-07-2012, 04:27 PM
My new used trailer...Gotta get plates for it on Monday and then it's ready to go!

Thank for reminding me, my license plate fell off the trailer, no idea where the hell it went. FUUUU! :mad: lol