PDA

View Full Version : Very new newb here...

fishguy
04-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Hello all. I am just trying to start up a lawn care business of some sort and found this site while searching for info.

A little about me; I am 38 and just got laid off about 3 weeks ago when the restaraunt I managed closed down. I am finding that I make bad employee anyway since I dislike making someone else wealthy from my efforts and I prefer to be responsible for myself rather than answering to someone else. So after looking for and applying to a number of crappy jobs I don't want anyway, I have decided it is time me to strike out on my own.

I am an avid outdoorsman. I enjoy everything outside from hiking, cycling, hunting, fishing, shooting, paddling, etc. I also enjoy cutting my own little yard, so I figured lawn care is the ticket.

I am operating on a shoe string budget, though. I have not tried to get any clients yet, but I am just about ready to start looking. Sold my old family sedan and bought an 11 year old Ford F150 as a work truck. I just got that running, inspected, and tagged. My old push mower just died last year, so I just found a deal on a used Honda push mower yesterday. I already picked up a gas trimmer and a blower, so I guess I am ready to start really simple jobs. I just printed up some simple half page flyers on the MS Word and went to Kinkos to make a bunch of copies. I'll be going out to distribute these door to door starting this afternoon.

If you guys have any tips or suggestions for someone like myself who is newer that new, I am all ears and I appreciate it. I look forward to learning and participating on this forum.

Thanks.

Hedgemaster
04-03-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm a few years older than you and got into this under similar circumstances.
Started out with inexpensive gear which was replaced mostly within the first season with commercial stuff as things improved.

Good luck with it!

Steve
04-04-2012, 02:01 AM
Welcome to our forum!

I'd say reach out to the people you know and let them know you are in business. As you read through the forum, you will find many success stories of lawn care businesses that got their start this way.

So get out there and do it! Keep us posted on all your success!

CS-LawnService
04-04-2012, 05:10 AM
welcome to the Forum .
Every one has to start some where and many of us started the same way you have .
Only advice I have is upgrade to commercial equipment when you can afford to it will benefit you in the long run .

fishguy
04-04-2012, 02:36 PM
welcome to the Forum .
Every one has to start some where and many of us started the same way you have .
Only advice I have is upgrade to commercial equipment when you can afford to it will benefit you in the long run .

What should be the first piece of commercial gear I need? How much should I spendn on it?

willshome
04-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Learn the size lawns you will be working on and get the right size mower then. A 50" mower is not helpful on real small yards. Get a feel for what you have see what you like and what you don't. Don't feel bad that your tools are not the best it's how the lawn looks when done.