PDA

View Full Version : We talk about this all the time I know

Steve
08-13-2007, 03:22 PM
I know we talk about this all the time, but what is your view why more lawn care owners aren't offering this service as an upsell?

Is it worthwhile?

Bombs Away! (http://www.courant.com/features/lifestyle/hc-petspoopscooper0811aug11,0,7005831.story?coll=hc_t ab01_layout) - Bobby Doyle picks up dog doo for a living.

For as little as $10 per pickup visit, Doyle will come to your house and scoop up what your dog leaves behind. His clients' turds span the state from Niantic to Waterbury. No dump is too small or too big for Doyle, not even the doo of five bull mastiffs in Enfield that he hauls away.

"I grew up on a farm, so it doesn't bother me," Doyle says. "It's not a bad job. The dogs at the houses I service get excited to see me. I get to play with them for a few minutes."

Doyle started Bowser's Bomb Banishers in 1999, after he was laid off from an aeronautical engineering job. But the idea came to him years earlier. He always dreaded coming home from work and having to pick up after his dogs. He wished he could pay someone to do it for him.

Now people pay him - and business keeps piling up.

http://www.courant.com/media/alternatethumbnails/storygallery/2007-08/26005319.jpg

lawncareinnovations
08-13-2007, 08:52 PM
maybe cuz its a bit time consuming?

Steve
08-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Can a fee be charged that would make it worthwhile? Or is this alwasy going to be a low profit service?

Clean Lawn
08-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Actually its something we do with my lawn care and landscaping service. We have a series of fees based on lawn sizes and the number of dogs a person may own that goes along with a yearly lawn service contract or just a yearly service contract for the removal of said wastes.
There are several services here in Hampton Roads that only do removal of dog wastes and I would venture to say just like with CleanLawns if its done correctly it can make you money.
I am sure with larger yards it can take a little longer but that is something we factored into the costs for servicing those lawns.
I hope this helps.

Little's
08-21-2007, 12:49 AM
I dont do it because a) it stinks b) its messy c) I have enough of it to pick up at my house d) it stinks!
http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Steve
08-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Quote[/b] ]Actually its something we do with my lawn care and landscaping service. We have a series of fees based on lawn sizes and the number of dogs a person may own that goes along with a yearly lawn service contract or just a yearly service contract for the removal of said wastes.
There are several services here in Hampton Roads that only do removal of dog wastes and I would venture to say just like with CleanLawns if its done correctly it can make you money.
How do you price out your services? Do you have any suggestions when estimating such a service?

quickcleanlawn
08-21-2007, 09:50 PM
here is an idea, charge by the weight.
if someone is willing to pay me to clean up pet droppings
i would charge somewhere around a dollar an once.
you also have to think about the safety part of it.
i'll make a whole getup with mask, gloves and those white overalls to protect from bacterias and diseases, especially if you have pets of your own.

Steve
08-22-2007, 05:43 PM
How do you dispose of the pet waste? Any suggestions?

tiedeman
08-22-2007, 08:16 PM
This is just my opinion, but perhaps why others don't offer it is because they feel that it is a "lower" type of service that they don't want to provide

Clean Lawn
08-27-2007, 05:38 PM
We put it in plastic disposable bags (trash bags) and it goes out with the garbage. Really there hasn't been anyone that has so much doggie droppings that I would require another method to dispose of it all right now.

Steve
08-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Oh very interesting!

Do you have any suggestions for others reading this on how to price jobs? Do you charge by yard size? Dog size?

Could you give us a few examples?

Thanks! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Clean Lawn
08-28-2007, 05:47 PM
This is how we charge for our doggie droppings removal-
with a lawn service contract for 1-2 dogs its $7.00 for a small yard,$13.00 for a medium size yard and $20.00 for a large yard.
without a lawn service contract for 1-2 dogs its $15.00 for a small yard, $25.00 for a medium size yard and $40.00 for a large yard.
for 3-4 dogs with a lawn service contract is $9.00 for a small yard, $15.00 for a medium size yard and $25.00 for a large yard.
for 3-4 dogs without a lawn service contract its $19.00 for a large yard, $31.00 for a medium size yard and $50.00 for a large size yard.
We looked at what a lot of doggie dropping removal companies were chraging to come and service your yard (and when I say a lot wow it was a lot) and we based reasonable costs for the service on what the other local companies were charging. We reduced our costs for our lawn care customers that have yearly contracts.
I hope that is helpful.