PDA

View Full Version : Watch one of my workers, I need a drink now

jymie
04-02-2012, 07:35 AM
How many of you guys have a worker like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKCR1_ybGt8

CS-LawnService
04-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Umm Speechless right now ,but sadly he probably thinks he was busting *** and doing a great job.

dpld
04-02-2012, 07:57 AM

i recently brought in a new hire 2 weeks ago, what a nightmare.

slower then dog crap, always texting someone, everyday he has drama in his life as well as is late everyday and at the end of everyday its " hey could i get twenty bucks off you for fuel ".

my other guy gets back from his layoff with knee surgery and this guy don't know it yet but he is toast on friday or maybe even sooner if he pisses me off before then.

i think i will start to record these azzhats from now on.

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-02-2012, 08:35 AM
I think we all had one of those.

willshome
04-02-2012, 10:33 AM
MAKE IT STOP to painful to watch he sounds like he is going to die. Wrong tools for the job, bags and small shovel? I like the other guy at 2:30 just kicking

dpld
04-02-2012, 11:33 AM
I think we all had one of those.

the problem is they keep coming, it used to be one of those once in a while things and now it seems as if everyone is like that.

it is a shame because i have nothing but full blood americans working for me and i go out of my way to not hire illegals as well as just plain refuse to but most younger americans don't want to work and the ones who do are just like this video.

CHEESE2009
04-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Some people just don't know how to 'get in there'. I think he was afraid of getting even a little dirty.

Depressing to watch, lol.

Make him watch a few how-to videos and maybe he'll have a better idea at what he should be doing. Set a standard for him to reach.

stevef1201
04-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Had a guy klike that he started at 7 AM, we went to the first yard, finished it at 730, took the time to take back to the shop and tell him good buy. Then went back and finished the work he did not do and got on with the day.

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-02-2012, 12:34 PM
the problem is they keep coming, it used to be one of those once in a while things and now it seems as if everyone is like that.

it is a shame because i have nothing but full blood americans working for me and i go out of my way to not hire illegals as well as just plain refuse to but most younger americans don't want to work and the ones who do are just like this video.

If it isnt effort its attitude. I had to let go one of my best workers because he was always running his mouth. He always knew the best way to do everything. You couldnt tell this guy anything. The final straw was a argument about shoveling in front of a dumpster. He wanted me to plow it? wtf!

CHEESE2009
04-02-2012, 12:48 PM
If it isnt effort its attitude. I had to let go one of my best workers because he was always running his mouth. He always knew the best way to do everything. You couldnt tell this guy anything. The final straw was a argument about shoveling in front of a dumpster. He wanted me to plow it? wtf!

Yeah, that's pretty much what I have to deal with. It's really annoying lol.

Lopes Lawn Care
04-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Wow, I feel for ya man. I've lucked out with the helpers i've gotten here and there. (mostly friends that were out of work) I would have definitly ripped my hair out watching that guy work.

CHEESE2009
04-03-2012, 01:40 AM
From what I've learned from training several employees, is that they really need to know what you are expecting. It's easier said than done.

What I mean is, a lot of the times they are too busy trying to impress their employer, rather then focusing all of their attention on the job. Their mind goes blank.

In this case for instance, he needs to take a step back and fully understand what needs to be done, and more importantly, why. He shows a serious disinterest because he is most likely overwhelmed and feeling out of place.

My advice, show him how to get the job started, and set a pace for him.

When I have someone new with me, it goes like this;

1. Explain why the job has to be done.
2. Show how the job should be done, and explain why some tactics are better than others.
2.5. Give them options, "You can use gloves if you want to".
3. Give an example of how long the job should take.
4. Allow him/her to join you, correct his/her mistakes.
5. Leave them to handle the job alone.
6. Keep/Fire.

-

I used to get very upset over employees who seemed incompetent, but that's only because I have been doing this longer than they have. We have to remember that they don't have the experience we do.

I do understand that time is money, but you will lose even more time by not getting yourself involved with them.

He was probably thinking;
1. Boss is in the truck, watching me work :mad:
2. Everyone else is working as a team, but I'm the outcast
3. Why should I bust my arse for these guys?

bruces
04-03-2012, 08:28 PM
was that an april fools joke ?

Hedgemaster
04-03-2012, 09:20 PM
This video is unlisted. Only those with the link can see it.

Why is it everyone else can see it but me?

:mad:
I'm telling my MOM!!!

Johnny_boy02
04-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Maybe if you got out of the truck and showed him how you want things done he would improve.

You mock him to a bunch of people online but the fact is he was working circles around you while you were just sitting there.

Poor management = poor employees.

CHEESE2009
04-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Why is it everyone else can see it but me?

:mad:
I'm telling my MOM!!!

It's because you got lawn swag and I didn't!!!! lol

picframer
04-04-2012, 05:04 AM

Very sad, personally would have fired him long before the video was over for a few reasons, what came to mind is if you had a company truck on the street and people saw this what would they think, what would the home owner think and as we know neighbours love to talk. It's things like this that although humerous to watch can break our reputation, IMHO

picframer
04-04-2012, 05:05 AM
Maybe if you got out of the truck and showed him how you want things done he would improve.

You mock him to a bunch of people online but the fact is he was working circles around you while you were just sitting there.

I thought about this also, very good and valid points

CS-LawnService
04-04-2012, 05:07 AM
Very sad, personally would have fired him long before the video was over for a few reasons, what came to mind is if you had a company truck on the street and people saw this what would they think, what would the home owner think and as we know neighbours love to talk. It's things like this that although humerous to watch can break our reputation, IMHO

That was one aspect I did not even think of but a very valid point

jymie
04-04-2012, 06:55 AM

This was after I showed him how to do it, my other worker showed him how to do it as well, yet he still chose to do it the way he did, which is why I videoed it in the first place. Just thought you guys would get a chuckle out of it. After I videoed it I explained to him how to better do the task, he did improve but I really needed to guide him. If he wasn't a very good friend I'm not sure I could keep him, but he's willing to do anything I ask and he shows up everyday. He's one that needs to be showed things more than a few times before he grasps onto it. Good thing I have more patience than some.

Steve
04-06-2012, 12:56 AM
The video is gone but can anyone describe what was going on so others following this can have the back story to this discussion?