PDA

View Full Version : finally its working

wihoyt
03-29-2012, 10:04 PM
I just started this year and I was very worried as last week I didnt have a single customer. now today I have only 2 contracts but I am bidding a bunch tommorow. The phone has been ringing today thanks to craigs list. I bought a great dane super surfer and a 10' trailer new echo trimmer and blower and I already had a cub cadet pusher so im pretty set for just myself to mow. I think this could get bigger than I expected since I have a total of $20 in advertisement and may already have all I wanted to mow. The best part is all my equipement is paid for. I wish I had did this years ago

Steve
03-30-2012, 01:10 PM
That is fantastic news!

I bet a lot of people kick themselves for never starting their dream business. Why do you feel you put it off? What finally got you to the point of doing it?

wihoyt
03-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Im at the point in life that i have a great Career as a career fireman in a large city and make a great living. I wanted to do this for my children so they dont have to work for MC donalds or KFC when they are in high school. I love mowing and I could finally take the leap without it hurting our family. I was able to buy my equipment out of pocket and now my wife is home to take care of our 4 month old andI can go work some more

Steve
04-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Now that you are in it and doing it, what's your view on why others hesitate to get their dream business started?

For others still unsure, do you have any words of inspiration for them?

wihoyt
04-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Yeah my advise is don't wait go do it no matter what it takes even if you have to use a garage sale push mower just go do it and don't finance anything pay for it all out of pocket. Done invest anythink you can't afford to lose. All my equipment is paid for and I couldn't imagine the stress of having to come up with the money. Its fun to build something from nothing. You don't have to be the big guy with huge mower and big f350 all lettered up. Really the customer doesn't care as much as you do. Craigs list is your best friend use it to your full advantage with many posts offering differnt things. Like the best lawn care. Average lawn care and the cheapest around lawn care.

lawnsofutah
04-04-2012, 08:46 PM
I have been following your posts intently as I have started a new business and did not have many calls.

However, the weather got warm and through my craigslist ads I have had at least 2-3 calls per day this week. Some have been for contract work the entire summer, some are just once, but it is a start!!! No matter what it takes, as you said "You don't have to be the big guy with huge mower and big f350 all lettered up.", just be there as quick as you can and bid or do the work for them.

I am not as busy as I would like to be, but in time it will come.

Best of luck to you!!!

wihoyt
04-05-2012, 06:45 AM
That's great I love getting calls it makes me feel like I'm a big operator lol we took a little vacation this week and I missed a call which really ticked me off but I been setting stuff up for when we get back and I have lawns schedualed for mows all next week. I was worried at first with no work now its exploding

Steve
04-06-2012, 01:15 AM
Have you been able to use your role as a firefighter in your marketing at all? Does being a firefighter have advantages to helping you reach out to people and market a business?

wihoyt
04-06-2012, 05:34 AM
Not really I do mention it sometimes when im selling them on someone they can trust. In our city we have been portraid to the public that we are ripping them off and they are pooor bc of our pensions. Which isn't true yes our wages are way higher than most that live in our city and they think that is wrong. We have very high unemployment rate and high crime rate. As I talk to people. I get the feeling many think oh another greedy fireman. They would rather pay the guy that's working his butt of trying to survive not just filling the time bc he has way too many days off so I don't try to mention my real job if I don't have to

Steve
04-06-2012, 05:00 PM
That is something to consider. What ever you can use to your advantage, use it.