PDA

View Full Version : Gator Blades

PITT
03-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Good Evening everyone,
I am thinking about buying some Gator Blades for my 36 " Wright Stander. Wanted to ask the people who KNOW how they work instead of taking the advice of someone who mows their yard on the weekend.
Anyone using them ? any advice before I buy ?
Thank you very much for your help,

Bull

mark123
03-29-2012, 10:58 PM
They don't lift very well and they don't throw clippings very far. The smaller clippings claim is dubious to me. I prefer a nice set of solid high lift blades.

wandfsmall
03-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Good Evening everyone,
I am thinking about buying some Gator Blades for my 36 " Wright Stander. Wanted to ask the people who KNOW how they work instead of taking the advice of someone who mows their yard on the weekend.
Anyone using them ? any advice before I buy ?
Thank you very much for your help,

Bull

You have diffrent results for diffrent grasses and soils. You have also had 6 diffrent versions of the Gator Blades most trying to get better lift. I have had good responses from the G6 Blades. for more info on the blade you would need look here.
http://www.alloutdoorparts.com/oregon-parts/blades/bobcat-blades/396-726-detail

The reason I like the G6 is it fixes most of the lift problem that has plagued the gator blades.

Hedgemaster
03-29-2012, 11:19 PM
This is embarrassing, but you guys already know I'm an idiot, so I'll ask anyway. :D

What does "high lift" refer to? The ability to "lift" the clippings up high so they get cut again, or the ability to somehow "lift" the blades of grass on the ground so they "stand up straight" for a better cut?

picframer
03-30-2012, 07:48 AM
They work very well for me on the grass we have, I suggest them to all our clients.

wandfsmall
03-30-2012, 08:17 AM
This is embarrassing, but you guys already know I'm an idiot, so I'll ask anyway. :D

What does "high lift" refer to? The ability to "lift" the clippings up high so they get cut again, or the ability to somehow "lift" the blades of grass on the ground so they "stand up straight" for a better cut?

Lift on the blade is what makes the "grass stand up strait" for a better cut and helps with kicking the grass out of the deck. All of the gator blades up until the G6 had poor lift making the grass ball up at the chute in wet conditions. The fix was to run a high lift blade on the discharge side of the deck but with the G6 blade we have not had to do that.

willshome
03-30-2012, 08:33 AM
I have hear of old worn out mowers can have a hard time spinning the G6 because of all the air movement. I like them, they pack the catch full

mark123
03-30-2012, 06:10 PM

The wing on the back of a high-lift blade is angled steeper. Check the picture here: http://www.turfmagazine.com/print-7230.aspx

Hedgemaster
03-30-2012, 06:43 PM
If they are designed to lift the grass up to cut it, why are there blades without this "lift". I've seen "medium lift", as well. Makes no sense to me.

mark123
03-30-2012, 06:53 PM
If they are designed to lift the grass up to cut it, why are there blades without this "lift". I've seen "medium lift", as well. Makes no sense to me.There is a theory that if you don't use as much lift then the grass will stay under the deck longer and get cut up finer. This theory is WRONG!

willshome
03-30-2012, 09:20 PM
If they are designed to lift the grass up to cut it, why are there blades without this "lift". I've seen "medium lift", as well. Makes no sense to me.

If your mowing in an area with sandy soil to much lift can be bad

Hedgemaster
03-30-2012, 10:13 PM
If your mowing in an area with sandy soil to much lift can be bad

Ahhh... that makes sense.

PITT
03-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Put the Gator Blades on today. Although I used them only my yard so far, they seem to be true to form. Will advise when I cut a few more yards under varying conditions.

myblacktruck
04-01-2012, 07:00 AM
We run gators all the time wet or dry work's well for us. Has anyone tried the eliminator blade from Scag. It has the gator fins and like a double cutting edge on front. Don't wanna waste any money on them to try if there junk. Maybe we'll try them on the 36 before trying them on the big stuff