PDA

View Full Version : do you catch grass or mulch it?

08-03-2007, 01:29 PM
I was just wondering if alot of you mulch or catch the grass??

it seems like alot of people here actually catch the grass.

im also finding it difficult to find somewhere to dump...

in my local area they stopped letting landscapers dump at the dump??

any suggestions??

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
08-03-2007, 04:07 PM
By far and away, my customers want the clippings bagged up. Luckily most have a spot at the back of the yard where I can dump them out. Otherwise I haul them away for a fee which is included in the contract.

My home town doesn't care who dumps the clippings off, they only real care that they originate within the city limits. They generate lots of compost to help subsidize the recycling efforts.

As a back up I have access to a private pit where the owner likes to compost clippings and seaweed. He takes them for no fee.

Little's
08-03-2007, 05:55 PM
I catch. It reduces weeds in the lawn. Especially crab-grass which spreads by clippings.

tiedeman
08-03-2007, 09:58 PM
It really depends on the customer and lawn I find. Some customers you have to bag the clippings no matter what, while others you can get away with it. My personally opinion, if you can see clumps in the lawn, then it needs to be bagged.

Yes, mulching and returning clippings to the lawn is good for it, but too much clippings is also not good for it

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
08-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Quote[/b] ]Yes, mulching and returning clippings to the lawn is good for it, but too much clippings is also not good for it

I have a power rake job this week for that very reason. The home owner stopped bagging the clippings, but the grass grows fairly thick resulting in way too much thatch. As a result the lawn looks awful with hit or miss places where the grass grows correctly.

InvisionScapes
08-08-2007, 09:47 PM
I mulch and never use chemical fertilizers. That allows the microbes to eat the fine mulch and fertilize naturally. St. Augustine and Bermuda.

Ernest
08-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Quote[/b] (tiedeman @ Aug. 03 2007,10:58)]*

Yes, mulching and returning clippings to the lawn is good for it, but too much clippings is also not good for it
Clipping can be good for the lawn, It creates it's own fertilizer(natural of coarse) Wich is a good thing. But on the other had too much clippings would cuase a build up of thatch which could suffocate the lawn of oxygen and you would have to dethach the lawn.
You would just have to see what the lawn needs, and the best intrests of the owner and go for it.

mario543k20
08-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Clipping can be good for the lawn, It creates it's own fertilizer(natural of coarse) Wich is a good thing. But on the other had too much clippings would cuase a build up of thatch which could suffocate the lawn of oxygen and you would have to dethach the lawn.
You would just have to see what the lawn needs, and the best intrests of the owner and go for it.

whats thatch? how would you go about de-thatching?

Side note: How do you go about ridding a lawn of crab grass? I searched and found nothing on this site.

Little's
08-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Crab grass is seasonal, although it doesnt die, it just goes dormant through the winter. So you can put down a product designed just to kill it. There is a product made by Monterey. It is called Weed-Hoe. It works pretty well.