PDA

View Full Version : I am new.

bluebird
03-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Hello sirs. My name is Keith. I mow grass for 3 customers so far . One is across the street from my house. The other customer is my landlords personal home and the 3rd is my personal rental duplex. I am working on the side to pay my way. I have a unusual way of cutting overhead cost. This is not by choice, but necessity. My wife and I share a car. To make things easier for her/us I decided to use my bicycle . I have a small trailer for my equip. I pull it with my bike. Its hard. And I need more customers like you guys. Keith

thegroundscrew
03-28-2012, 01:41 PM
That's awesome to hear. It is important to have the lowest possible overhead. I'd like to see your setup attached to your bike. Do you mind posting a picture of it? Also, do plan on going full time? If so, what are your forms of advertising so far? I bet your the strongest lawn care peron out there. Legs stiff as steal

bluebird
03-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Hello Sirs. Man I am so cheap that I dont even have a camera option on my phone. My equipment is a old 1992 Snapper 21 comercial hivac walk behind. It is a comercial model , has a Wisconsin robin 8 hp. it seems wrong but says 8 hp. . I bought it from a neighbor who does lawncare 15 yrs ago for 100 dollars. My blower is a Echo. not sure of model. From Home Depot.Weed eater is from Wal Mart, weed eater straight shaft. My first customer asked if I had a weedeater. I bought the mid one from Walmart for 89.00 . My wife needs the car to get to work. So I bought a bike trailer and modified it to carry my gear.. To be honest , I have only used this set up 2 times .My current customers are all neighbors. This is what I did . - (I need money) I wrote down on a piece of paper that I noticed that their yard was needing a cut, I would mow their yard for 25 bucks . it worked . The first customer I had told me that he thought I was too low. I ended getting 35 for mow, trim, cleanup.The second deal I aded on the paper that I lived close by and that I took care of others in th neighborhood ....I cut a hole in the piece of paper with a knife, and stuck the sucker on their door. The second house had me do a whole cleanup for 75 dollars.( I got screwed on it) Took me a whole day.But they want me for gutter clean also . It worked on the first 2. Havent heard anything back on the 3rd one. I am working on door hangers. .. Trying to sharpin blade on mower, and it seems to need the carb cleaned. Im going to keep tryin with what Ive got. Keith

CHEESE2009
03-28-2012, 03:56 PM
I have a feeling you will do alright this year.

All it takes is consistency. It sounds easy, but staying focused when it comes to selling yourself.. it does get tiring.

I suggest for you to try and make an investment, this is so that you would be able to buy a newer lawn mower if something were to ever happen to the lawn mower you currently use.

Other than that, lawn mowers break down quite often, and I wouldn't want you stuck somewhere far only to have to bike back home just to change mowers. You would eventually need a bigger trailer (always nice to carry a spare of everything), which means you'll probably need a vehicle... The last thing you want is to have your lawn mower break down on a property, and to have your client wait 1-2 hours for you to return with other equipment so that you can finish the job.

I'm not sure of what your financial situation is exactly, but is it possible for you to buy a car for a few hundred $$$?

-

Also, I understand you've 'gotta eat', so whatever it takes man, you go out and do it. I personally couldn't care less if your methods are legal or not.