PDA

View Full Version : make ready fee?

mcgreen1
03-27-2012, 01:03 PM
I am charging 15% on top of normal rate for make ready fee. What do you think too high or too low?

dpld
03-27-2012, 03:06 PM
I am charging 15% on top of normal rate for make ready fee. What do you think too high or too low?

what is a make ready fee?

picframer
03-27-2012, 03:06 PM

What is a Make Ready Fee?

stevef1201
03-27-2012, 03:21 PM
make ready?
Make set?
make go?
make what ready, how would you make it ready, and where would you make it ready?

You lost me too

mcgreen1
03-27-2012, 04:25 PM
It is the first cut of the year where the customer has let their yard grow long before calling you.

CS-LawnService
03-27-2012, 05:22 PM
if they are going for a year long service then i do not charge any thing extra if its a one time deal then i charge double

brian'slawncare
03-27-2012, 09:03 PM
if they are going for a year long service then i do not charge any thing extra if its a one time deal then i charge double

Same goes for me.

picframer
03-28-2012, 05:51 AM
Same goes for me.

Same here depending on how bad it is, expecially if you have to do a clean up, regular fee plus 50%+, some exceptions as always

CHEESE2009
03-28-2012, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't bother charging extra the first visit, unless their yard is you know, awful.

Usually when we all start our lawn maintenance service, the grass hasn't grown much anyway, an added fee couldn't be justified.

It's the clients you get further into the season that may have overgrown lawns, and this is where charging extra the first visit would make sense.

Hedgemaster
03-28-2012, 10:57 AM
The grass hasn't grown much???

:eek:

This is what I cut yesterday...

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Ferris%2036%20Walk%20Behind/First%20Two%20Cuts/DSCI0362.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Ferris%2036%20Walk%20Behind/First%20Two%20Cuts/DSCI0360.jpg

I'm thinking about charging extra next season for those who don't do a fall cleanup. I understand that a first cut of the season will take more time than following cuts, but there's a point when you are spending WAY too much time preparing to cut.

The other day I spent an hour picking up sticks/branches at one of my regulars before mowing. Had she not have asked me to do that as a paid cleanup, I would not have mowed the lawn at the regular rate. Why should they get a free spring cleanup?

As far as what to charge and when, I think it all depends on the lawn and the client.

brian'slawncare
03-28-2012, 11:56 AM
The other day I spent an hour picking up sticks/branches at one of my regulars before mowing. Had she not have asked me to do that as a paid cleanup, I would not have mowed the lawn at the regular rate. Why should they get a free spring cleanup?

As far as what to charge and when, I think it all depends on the lawn and the client.

If there is a big branch or other obstacle in the lawn (other than a few toys which I just kick away) I will just mow around it and leave a nice big ol patch of tall grass. They'll learn eventually...

I do the same if there is a ton of animal poop

willshome
03-28-2012, 12:27 PM
You should ALWAYS walk the yard and kick the leaf piles see how deep and how old they are. Some of my lawns the spring cleaning cost is very cheap and others that wanted to save money by not doing fall cleanup pay more now that the leaves are matted down and a pain to move.

CHEESE2009
03-28-2012, 04:37 PM
So it's settled. We all finally agree to hate something.

Spring cleanups, mother of god I hate spring cleanups.

As for animal poop, I usually just pick it up and put it in my pocket. Maybe have it for dinner later on.

Fireman Gus
03-28-2012, 09:14 PM
We charge 3 times the regular mowing rate to "make ready" (spring cleanup)the yard for the year. All our regular clients have this done. If it justr a one time job for someone it is more.

willshome
03-28-2012, 10:07 PM
As for animal poop, I usually just pick it up and put it in my pocket. Maybe have it for dinner later on.
THAT'S JUST WRONG you should not steal from your customer that is like the maid taking the change from your couch