PDA

View Full Version : Natural Mulch

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-26-2012, 09:53 PM
So far the majority of clients have been requesting cedar and hemlock mulch this year. A few wanted cedar because of the natural oils that prevent insects others just didnt want the dye. For a while everyone wanted dye colors but that seems to have changed now. The dyes seems to fade and decompose the faster too.

This got me thinking of natural mulch. I never tried using it. It looks like woodchips and mix of other random wood pieces. Its around $10-$20 cheaper then the others but I dont know much about it. Is there any drawback to using natural mulch?

The first picture is natural the second cedar.
http://www.galesferryhorticulture.com/images/products-nat-mlch-hardwood.jpg
http://www.galesferryhorticulture.com/images/products-nat-mlch-cedar.jpg

CS-LawnService
03-27-2012, 04:50 AM
I have found with the natural hardwood shredded mulch after about a month its hard to tell the garden is mulched it looks like its just dirt .
that was all I used last year but this year I have started to use the dyed black mulch ,I can get it at the same cost as I get a contractors discount this year that I did not get last year so dyed this year cost the same as natural last year for me .

avetslawncare
03-27-2012, 05:41 AM
would look better in a hamster cage

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-27-2012, 01:54 PM
I get contractors discounts too. Thats not the issue but what the client wants is $10-$12 more a yard then dyed. The natural hard/soft wood was close to half of what they wanted and wouldve saved them, not me, $400-$500.

would look better in a hamster cage

lol, was just curious, 2 different mulch yards brought it up when I was asking about cedar as a cheaper alternative.

I just did a estimate for 15 yards and they really needed 22 to be at 3" but money was a issue. Then I ran it to the same predicament with another client. They needed 15 yards, a pressure wash, spring clean, and gutters done. I felt bad handing them a $2300 bill.

Steve
03-28-2012, 11:48 AM
The natural hard/soft wood was close to half of what they wanted and wouldve saved them, not me, $400-$500.

Even though it was cheaper, they didn't want to go with it because it wasn't dyed?

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Even though it was cheaper, they didn't want to go with it because it wasn't dyed?

No they didnt want dyed. They wanted natural cedar. When I called to order the mulch yard told me about the natural mulch. I didnt ask the client about it because I didnt know enough about it.