PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys.

Localboyslawn
03-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Must be that time of year as I'm new to the site & the business as well. I see many fellow newby's.

CHEESE2009
03-26-2012, 05:48 PM
All it takes is a few beers and everything we know about grass is gone.

If I can leave you with some advice;

1. Mow lengthwise

2. Trimmer trims to your left side

3. Cut lawns 2 1/2 - 3 inches

4. Trim hills from above, never below

4. Mow hills across, never up & down

5. If possible, don't befriend your clients

6. Always get paid in advance

7. If it rains, it should be safe to continue mowing if the center of a road is dry.

8. Don't drink the booze the night before work unless you want to have the worst day of your entire life.

9. Change your socks every now and then, keeps you feeling fresh.

10. When it's hot, put a wet hand towel on your head and let it hang over the back of your neck. Keeps you cool.

Hope this helps!

JeffK26
03-26-2012, 09:44 PM
4. Mow hills across, never up & down
or diagonal, it turns out quite nice

8. Don't drink the booze the night before work unless you want to have the worst day of your entire life.
I am screwed tomorrow.

10. When it's hot, put a wet hand towel on your head and let it hang over the back of your neck. Keeps you cool.
Also, if you pour water over the veins/arteries in your wrist, you will have an immediate cool down. You can feel the cold blood flow through the body..

Steve
03-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Welcome to our forum!

What got you interested in starting your own business?

Localboyslawn
03-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Probably many things that got me interested but mainly I needed to get out of the office. I've been an office jockey for almost 11 years & I just couldn't do another day of it. I've advised many lawn care/landscapers for years and it's one profession that I always had an urge to get out and do myself.
Hopefully I was right. My old career ends on Friday & I only have 4 small residential customers lined up so far. Yikes!

Steve
03-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Well congratulations on getting started!

I've advised many lawn care/landscapers for years
What kind of advice did you give them?

Localboyslawn
03-31-2012, 01:13 PM
The biggest thing I would tell them is to simply show up. So many small start up companies in my area only work in fair weather for beer money. Anyone serious about making a go of the business has an advantage against the "weekenders" if they do that one simple thing.

Steve
04-02-2012, 03:49 PM
That's a very good point and knowing that should really give you a competitive advantage.