PDA

View Full Version : Toro PTO clutch Adjustment

pblawncare
03-25-2012, 09:41 AM
I have a 52" toro that I'm almost certain the clutch is out of adjustment. The blades were running fine, then nothing. fuse had popped. I checked the clutch, it is getting power (3.5ohms) and I hooked a lawn mower battery up to the clutch and it fired right over. also, the switches (paddle and safety) are both good, as I tested them on another machine.

How do you go about adjusting the clutch? or is there something in the wiring I may be missing here?

wandfsmall
03-25-2012, 10:54 AM
I have a 52" toro that I'm almost certain the clutch is out of adjustment. The blades were running fine, then nothing. fuse had popped. I checked the clutch, it is getting power (3.5ohms) and I hooked a lawn mower battery up to the clutch and it fired right over. also, the switches (paddle and safety) are both good, as I tested them on another machine.

How do you go about adjusting the clutch? or is there something in the wiring I may be missing here?

Most clutches are not adjustable what model of toro do you have so I can tell what clutch you have.

dpld
03-25-2012, 11:06 AM

the electric clutches don't have a adjustment and if you are having issues and you are getting power you should check and see if you have a bad ground.

they usually only have one wire going to them which is obviously the power feed and the ground is established through it being bolted to the machine.

the clutch itself could be bad but i would chech the ground first because they are usually bulletproof and the way they operate is very simple and there is not much on them to go wrong and these types of clutches are used in everything and anything from lawn mowers to stump grinders to AC clutches in automobiles.

wandfsmall
03-25-2012, 12:01 PM
the electric clutches don't have a adjustment and if you are having issues and you are getting power you should check and see if you have a bad ground.

they usually only have one wire going to them which is obviously the power feed and the ground is established through it being bolted to the machine.

the clutch itself could be bad but i would chech the ground first because they are usually bulletproof and the way they operate is very simple and there is not much on them to go wrong and these types of clutches are used in everything and anything from lawn mowers to stump grinders to AC clutches in automobiles.

act some do have an adjustment just most do not. that is why I asked for the model of the tractor, or model of the clutch would even work better:) But some of the commercial grade toro units do have an adjustable clutch.

pblawncare
03-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Toro Commercial Proline (30176)

It has an adjustable clutch, when i bought it it had to be adjusted and I had my mechanic at the time do whatever it took to get it running right, which included adjustment.

wandfsmall
03-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Toro Commercial Proline (30176)

It has an adjustable clutch, when i bought it it had to be adjusted and I had my mechanic at the time do whatever it took to get it running right, which included adjustment.

ok if it is the oem clutch you tighten the 3 nuts on the outside till you have a gap of .012 with the clutch off. You must do this evenly and do not turn them too much at one time.

pblawncare
09-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Fellas,

You'd think I'd be an expert on these clutches by now, but one question...

another one of my prolines blades were running fine, then after while they'd just shut off. no fuse pop, no loose connection. I adjusted the clutch to .012 with now change. is the gap to tight? I've heard between .012-.016 or so.

This is a Kawasaki FB460v with a recoil start.

wandfsmall
09-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Fellas,

You'd think I'd be an expert on these clutches by now, but one question...

another one of my prolines blades were running fine, then after while they'd just shut off. no fuse pop, no loose connection. I adjusted the clutch to .012 with now change. is the gap to tight? I've heard between .012-.016 or so.

This is a Kawasaki FB460v with a recoil start.

to answer your question I would need the clutch model number.