PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Cordless Trimmer - Interesting Design

Hedgemaster
03-24-2012, 09:53 PM
At my dealer's open house the other day I spoke with a guy from Core GasLess Power (http://coreoutdoorpower.com/), who was demonstrating a new, rechargeable string trimmer.

http://www.flatheadbeacon.com/images/uploads/WRGasslessEquipment_A.jpg

http://coreoutdoorpower.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Core_products_CGT400Trimmer.jpg

From the website:

The CGT400 Trimmer is reliable, lightweight and will run just as long as a tank of gas. It’s perfectly balanced and features an instant trigger start, high-energy power cell, dual-mode controls for torque and speed, open view grass guard and a comfort grip handle. This lightweight, long life, virtually maintenance free CGT400 Trimmer will retail at a price comparable with high quality commercial gasoline trimmers on the market today.

Weight (without Power Cell): 8 pounds
Weight (with Power Cell): 11 pounds
Run Time: Up to 70 minutes
Head Speed: 7,000 RPM Speed /5,000 RPM Torque
Head Type: Dual Line Bump Feed
Trimmer Line: 0.095 diameter, 20’ on spool

It was... "interesting".

Random observations after looking at it and running it. (no cutting)

SO quiet and NO vibration.
It has two speeds to give added torque when desired.
2 year commercial warranty.
Well balanced.
There's no "shaft" - the tube only contains wiring.
The motor is in the head - and it's quite unique. (see website)
I believe they source some parts (handle and head/shield) from Echo.
I believe he said it would be $419 including 2 batteries and a rapid recharger.
OK to get wet. Head can be run in/under water w/o damage. (not sure how waterproof the rear/battery section is)
Battery has been tested to run for 1 continuous hour on lower power setting.
I believe he said the cutting power was roughly equivalent to a 26cc gas trimmer.
The head/spool can be swapped for different types.
I was told it works "great" with a blade and that they are going to add a safety bar option for blade use soon.

I'm sure it has it's applications, and isn't for everyone, but I could not deny that it appeared well designed, and well built. If it were lighter, it would have made me a bit more interested. As it is, it's only .7 lbs lighter than my Stihl FS90R, so the only benefit would be near zero noise, and no more tingly hands.

Anyway, I thought someone may enjoy looking at this unusual new product.
I've always dismissed "cordless" trimmers as being unpractical, but this one appears to be closing the gap in some aspects.

mark123
03-24-2012, 10:02 PM
I'd be interested in a demo. Who's carrying them locally? I see they make righties walk backwards just like the other companies. BOOO!!!!

How about letting someone that uses the product help design it? Like me!

mark123
03-24-2012, 10:13 PM
I emailed them asking if the head can be made to spin in the correct direction. :)

Hedgemaster
03-24-2012, 10:15 PM
I'd be interested in a demo. Who's carrying them locally? I see they make righties walk backwards just like the other companies. BOOO!!!!

I dunno... I don't even know that they are being sold yet - I didn't ask.

That's funny. Before I got into this business, I just used electric trimmers and then cordless B&D trimmers around my home - it's all I ever needed.

When I got my Stihl, I was like, "OH CRAP it spins the WRONG WAY!" LOL!

mark123
03-24-2012, 10:19 PM
I dunno... I don't even know that they are being sold yet - I didn't ask.

That's funny. Before I got into this business, I just used electric trimmers and then cordless B&D trimmers around my home - it's all I ever needed.

When I got my Stihl, I was like, "OH CRAP it spins the WRONG WAY!" LOL!

Yep, bent shaft trimmers spin the right way. Straight do not. If there is no shaft in the down tube then it theoretically should be able to spin either way with either a polarity change or an axis change. Flip it on the X!

Johnny_boy02
03-24-2012, 11:03 PM
I prefer to walk backwards..

As for a battery powered trimmer... neat but I wouldnt spend the $$$.

mark123
03-24-2012, 11:15 PM
I prefer to walk backwards.. ...

Well,I am keeping track of the people on earth that prefer walking backwards. Let me get out my journal and mark you in there. Check. Totaling everyone up. Hmm. One. That makes one.

wandfsmall
03-25-2012, 10:04 AM

you will not find that many dealers as of yet, they just came out this month to distributors. But they do seem like nice units so if dealers can get over the fact that the only product on the website that is in production is the trimmer you will find a lot sign up.

dpld
03-25-2012, 10:15 AM
they would probably be ok for normal trimming but i would be skeptical in a situation where you were trimming high thick over grown weeds.

like anything battery powered the harder they work the faster the battery will drain.

Johnny_boy02
03-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Well,I am keeping track of the people on earth that prefer walking backwards. Let me get out my journal and mark you in there. Check. Totaling everyone up. Hmm. One. That makes one.

I think I will start a journal of people that intentionally take comments out of context to make snide remarks and act cool on the internet. So far today I have one.

Hedgemaster
03-25-2012, 11:46 AM
they would probably be ok for normal trimming but i would be skeptical in a situation where you were trimming high thick over grown weeds.

like anything battery powered the harder they work the faster the battery will drain.

Yes and the factory rep stated as much when he was asked about battery run times.

He said the same about the string - using heavier than .095 will cause it to work a little harder reducing run time.

I guess you'd have to factor in initial price of batteries/how many you'd need on hand per day vs cost of fuel/oil for equal amount of run time to see which is the better choice for normal duty trimming.

The only thing that I didn't care for was that it took a while for the head to stop spinning when you released the "throttle". Probably could tap it against the grass though to stop it if need be.

Steve
03-26-2012, 10:52 AM
How much would extra batteries cost and how many would you need?

Hedgemaster
03-26-2012, 08:39 PM
How much would extra batteries cost and how many would you need?

That's the magic question in determining if this thing is viable as a commercial trimmer.

I didn't ask about extra battery cost. Pretty sure he said the "commercial version" has a quick charger.
(The "homeowner" unit comes with a standard charger - the ONLY difference between the two as I recall)

If you can recharge via an inverter in the truck as you go, it may work out. Just depends on how much time on a trimmer you do in a day.

Steve
03-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Well since you are so successful at obtaining lawn swag, why not ask them if you could get one from them or at least borrow it and give us all a review on it?

Who knows, they made be very interested in handing one of them over to you for a ringing endorsement :)

mark123
03-29-2012, 06:04 PM
I emailed them asking if the head can be made to spin in the correct direction. :)

The reply:
Mark,
Thanks for your interest in CORE. Yes the motor can spin the other way but our engineers have chosen to make it spin this direction. Thanks again and have a great day!

CORE Team

Another example of engineers making the wrong decision because they don't understand the industry.

Hedgemaster
03-29-2012, 10:22 PM
LOL ^^^

Lemme ask this question. What do all the established manufacturers make them spin the "wrong way"?

There has to be a reason.

wandfsmall
03-30-2012, 07:20 AM
LOL ^^^

Lemme ask this question. What do all the established manufacturers make them spin the "wrong way"?

There has to be a reason.

because on a gas engine they would provide more torq the current way they spin. As for the electric if you change the wires you could change the way it spins. Also a lot of people like it spinning in the direction that it does, I have more complaints about curved shaft trimmers spinning backwards then I do strait shaft.

Hedgemaster
03-30-2012, 07:55 AM
because on a gas engine they would provide more torq the current way they spin. As for the electric if you change the wires you could change the way it spins. Also a lot of people like it spinning in the direction that it does, I have more complaints about curved shaft trimmers spinning backwards then I do strait shaft.

Likely because they are accustomed to the industry standard of a straight shaft's "wrong way". Anything that changes the routine complicates things - even when it makes life easier.

mark123
03-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Likely because they are accustomed to the industry standard of a straight shaft's "wrong way". Anything that changes the routine complicates things - even when it makes life easier.
Yes, people hate change. I hate straight shaft trimmers spinning the wrong way. A gas motor can be made to spin in either direction, too, so there is no real excuse except that's the way we've always done it.