PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone

wihoyt
03-23-2012, 10:17 PM
hi there Im new to the forum. I used to mow lawns a few years ago before I became a full time firefighter/Paramedic.I used to dream of running my own deal after I got my job. Now I have my job and am sitting pretty well make good living and only work 9 days a month. Anyhow this winter I decided Im going to do it. Buy a mower and get some accounts. i got all registered with the county. I bought a 52" super surfer which was my favorite mower. I have a cub cadet push mower and a bought a 5X10 trailer. I already have a nissan titan Pickup. Only problem I cant get any accounts. I walk the streets and talk to people outside. I go to the businesses and introduce myself. I make phone calls to places that have contact info outside. I hang business cards and flyers. I havnt had one single deal set yet. but anyhow hello

Hedgemaster
03-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Welcome.

Last season was my first. I advertised on Craigslist. No response initially, but when the grass started getting high, the calls started coming in.

Good luck with it!

wihoyt
03-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Makes sense maybe I need to be more active on it i see so many guys on there but consistancy is key

Steve
03-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Also are you networking within your social group? Do all your friends and family know you are in business?

This is a great way to get you business going.

Keep us posted on how things go once you start reaching out to people you already know. Then reach out to those you don't know yet.

wihoyt
03-27-2012, 08:21 PM
I dont really have social group where I live. I moved here for work last year and live an hour away from everyone i know. But I did get to mow a neighbors yard today and made my firt money. It was only $25 but it gave me hope. I also sealled a deal on a Condo assoc complex with 8 buildings. I was asked to bid the property managements other buildings they run but they are all WAY WAY to big for just me and my little 52" super surfer. I've been working over craigs list best I can and we ordered some signs and stuff from vista print last week. Anyone have any great ideas to advertise without breaking the bank. My wife is tired of me spending money as I just bought a new Echo Trimmer and blower today, New Trailer last month and super surfer. along with other junk. All so I could make $25 today

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
03-28-2012, 09:21 AM
I dont really have social group where I live. I moved here for work last year and live an hour away from everyone i know. But I did get to mow a neighbors yard today and made my firt money. It was only $25 but it gave me hope. I also sealled a deal on a Condo assoc complex with 8 buildings. I was asked to bid the property managements other buildings they run but they are all WAY WAY to big for just me and my little 52" super surfer. I've been working over craigs list best I can and we ordered some signs and stuff from vista print last week. Anyone have any great ideas to advertise without breaking the bank. My wife is tired of me spending money as I just bought a new Echo Trimmer and blower today, New Trailer last month and super surfer. along with other junk. All so I could make $25 today

Trust me I was in the same boat lol

I spent all of this $$$ and nothin lol Im still on active duty and gettin close to the end so i started this year 2 1/2 weeks ago to be exact.

What I did was put up a catchy craigslist ad up and over the last couple weeks I have been averging about 4 calls a day and I have already got 9 accounts and 2 more to cut today that I can hope to turn into accounts and after them a spring clean up job to bid!

Trust me dont get discouraged!!! I put the logo on the back of my truck and handed out flyers and seen someone on here talking about craigslist and I think it has been the best free advertising i can think of just make sure it something catchy and add pictured on there to make people want to call you!

There are so many b.s. ads on there so you HAVE to make sure your ad stands out from the rest!!!

Steve
03-28-2012, 12:34 PM
I spent all of this $$$ and nothin

What kinds of lawn care marketing techniques did you try that you didn't find to work? What methods should other start ups avoid?