PDA

View Full Version : RTF Grass

52BeltDrive
03-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Anyone here have personal experience with it? Opinions?

http://www.rtfsod.com/

picframer
03-19-2012, 07:49 PM
I have around 40 clients with RTF that we landscaped either hydroseed or sod, in short for our climate there is not a grass that is a hearty as RTF, it is the first green lawn in the spring and even after our first snow fall it stays green, requires little care compared to other grass types available here and requires little water, down side is the cost as it is substantially higher than blue grass.

mark123
03-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Tall Fescue is a hearty variety. The color is no where near as dark green as KBG though. Tall Fescue will grow faster so if your customer wants it they better also want weekly mowing. It'll be 3 feet high by you get back on a 14 day rotation. :p

52BeltDrive
03-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks guys, I have zero experience with the stuff (apparently I will soon).

Client has a reasonably nice KBG backyard and wants to redo the place with the RTF. A few weed issues but the lawn is completely salvagable "as is", his biggest problem is three female canine housepets that use the entire space to relieve themselves. I sincerely doubt any type of grass will provide his desired results without diligent attention to diluting these nitrogen deposits ASAP.

I feel kinda bad as the lawn could easily be repaired for pennies compared to labor and sod. Let the dogs in, turn on the sprinklers...I did find a product called TurfPro that is supposed be helpful, the cost seems reasonable enough. I can't in good concience do this job without trying to push toward repairing the existing turf.

I guess in the end the customer is always right, it's his money and his decision. I could see choosing this turf for the claimed "water saver" feature and drought tolerance, I know fescue is slightly less picky than bluegrass. I really fear the dogs will destroy portions of this new sod in short order.

picframer
03-19-2012, 09:24 PM
We suggest clients speak to their vet, some dogs/cats have no effect on the grass, I have a Portuguese Water Dog which doesn't effect the lawn at all yet some breeds will kill it in no time, there is a tablet they can get from the vet that you add to food, no idea what it's called but it will neutralize the urine so that the grass doesn't die and from what I have been told, it is not expensive.

You will be impressed with RTF, I would love to have it on my own property but with close to four acres of grass....won't happen unless I win the lottery, our oldest lawn is four years and not a sign of a weed or any other issue.

52BeltDrive
03-20-2012, 02:46 AM
We suggest clients speak to their vet, some dogs/cats have no effect on the grass, I have a Portuguese Water Dog which doesn't effect the lawn at all yet some breeds will kill it in no time, there is a tablet they can get from the vet that you add to food, no idea what it's called but it will neutralize the urine so that the grass doesn't die and from what I have been told, it is not expensive.

You will be impressed with RTF, I would love to have it on my own property but with close to four acres of grass....won't happen unless I win the lottery, our oldest lawn is four years and not a sign of a weed or any other issue.

Thanks again, I'm actually enthusiastic to be able to work with the "new" fescue from what I've been able to come up with so far it sounds great. I have a friend that feeds a vet endorsed suppliment and his backyard seems decent. (I tend to differentiate "yard" and "lawn" with "lawns" being predominantly grass). My understanding with both suppliments and critters is that age/ and or health issues are at play and my client's dogs cover agespan fairly well. I would guess ages at 4, 8, and 12. Doubt I'll see a puppy soon.

As for the bluegrass? Turf at my own house doesn't matter much but I'll haul it, plug it and cut it in where I can rather than dump it. I don't use my "yard" for advertising. If the local farmer's market plays to my favor this year I won't be using a mower at home very often... Other than a nice veggie garden, things I've learned to appreciate in this biz are perennials and cut flower gardens. I hybridize daylilies (nothing worthy yet) but every year more tilling, less mowing.

This job is "happening now" even though it's a bit early. I need the work, I need the money so I'll be able to update as to decisions made, work performed, and impressions of the RTF if that's the ultimate outcome.

Thanks, I do appreciate the input!