PDA

View Full Version : Selling Out

CHEESE2009
03-19-2012, 05:08 PM
On the topic of 'selling out', I have a few questions for all of you.

Question 1
If you were to hire a crew leader, how much would you pay him, and why?

Question 2
If another company wants you to join them, as a crew leader within their company, how much would you ask for, and why?

Question 3
How would you feel about shutting down your company, and joining another?

Steve
03-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Scott,

I wonder how many people are considering this with the season just starting to gear up. I think they are probably too excited to get started than to think about selling out.

What's the deal over there? Are you getting too stressed out at the prospect of the new season getting ready to start?

CS-LawnService
03-20-2012, 03:32 PM
He hates the winter, he hates the summer he hates his customers

He is my Idol

CHEESE2009
03-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Everything is alright.

Hopefully I will soon become a rich dictator and rule the world, so that I can have some real excitement.

Everything is fun when you start out, but later down the road everything is on repeat, even with progress it doesn't get very exciting. I'm exhausted just thinking about all the b.s I've put up with, I'm very tired of pretending to care about my clients enough to not roll my eyes at them while they speak to me.

It's going to be an interesting year. Let's see how well I do this year being cynical-ignorant-blunt-a-hole. lol

Steve
03-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Are there going to be any elements about your business you can change this year that would be a positive?

CHEESE2009
03-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Are there going to be any elements about your business you can change this year that would be a positive?

If I can get myself in the mood, I suppose I would advertise and go door-to-door... but I just hate people now. Life isn't fair. I'm not really choosing to avoid people, I just can't do it anymore without it really bringing me down.

It's like getting a girlfriend. In the beginning you show off and prove your worth to the lady, make her fall in love with you. Once she's convinced you are 'Mr. Right', you can become a slob again and blow your nose on bath towels.

Not really, but yeah. I feel like I have my clients, but I want to drop the relationships that came with them because they are too demanding. There is no easy way to do this.

I'm tired of pretending to take an interest with my clients, to stop and say, "Hows it going, enjoying the weather?"... I used to be great at sounding 'real', but now I'm pretty sure I sound careless.

I need to escape this mentality, maybe start smoking the green herb. Hahaha!

Actually, I think this year I will be drunk 24/7, I usually have no problem talking to clients while drunk!!!

Ducke
03-22-2012, 07:15 PM
How much for your Zero turn ?????
Your Weed Whacker how much ????
the little child how much for her ????
I will buy it all, Name your price my friend name your price....

Chaz
03-22-2012, 08:27 PM
sounds like you are bored with your business.

start offering new services, taking bigger jobs and try to grow your business that would bring in excitement

CHEESE2009
03-23-2012, 07:02 AM
How much for your Zero turn ?????
Your Weed Whacker how much ????
the little child how much for her ????
I will buy it all, Name your price my friend name your price....

I sell you goat, 40 rupees! You make nice goat milk for family yes?

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-23-2012, 12:06 PM
On the topic of 'selling out', I have a few questions for all of you.
[QUOTE=CHEESE2009;104578]On the topic of 'selling out'
Question 1
If you were to hire a crew leader, how much would you pay him, and why?

I would go with $15-$20. Or better yet $12 with commission. This way he does more jobs faster and upsells.

On the topic of 'selling out'
Question 2
If another company wants you to join them, as a crew leader within their company, how much would you ask for, and why?

I wouldnt do it unless I could compete. Get a company vehicle, $35 a hour, 401k and a paid vacation.
On the topic of 'selling out'
Question 3
How would you feel about shutting down your company, and joining another?
Not going to happen. My dad runs a construction company in Florida and was injured. Hes been reduced to a role of supervisor. He was very hands on before. He offered me the opportunity to help run the company. I said no! The weather would be nice, and theres landscaping year round, but snow money has the highest profit margins for me.

Steve
03-23-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm tired of pretending to take an interest with my clients, to stop and say, "Hows it going, enjoying the weather?"... I used to be great at sounding 'real', but now I'm pretty sure I sound careless.

Is there anything that would get you more interested in this? What if you made more money with it?

CHEESE2009
03-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Is there anything that would get you more interested in this? What if you made more money with it?

It's not necessarily about the money, it's actually just the clients who bother the heck out of me.

At first, they all come off as invasive by being over friendly - only to become a prick and screw me over.

You'd think that a client who offers you a beverage every time you show up, or makes small or even big talk with you about their lives and yours would be a good thing... It's not. You get stuck so tied up with their own events, and you have to act on them to show that you're a good person and not ignorant.

They basically force me to make things awkward when they don't play by the rules. EXAMPLE of a crappy situation involving payment;

Me: I'm here for the money.

Client: Oh good. I just got back from 100 funerals, found out I have cancer, I'm dying, I'm too old to do anything and I'm very depressed about it.... I will have your money next time! :).

......... How do you get away with saying "No, it's now or never". A TON of clients put me in situations similar to the one above.

"Here's a beverage, now I don't have to respect you."

CHEESE2009
03-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Another story, but I'll keep it in this thread.

I left my house today, only to be stuck doing the following;

Trimming 7 large plants.

Removing 4 large gardens and everything in them, and replacing them with sod.

Building a river stone garden.

Fixing concrete stairs.

2 Dethatching jobs.

Cleaning gutters, and replacing gutters.

^ All that crap, I never asked for it. I never wanted to do spring work, unless it's LEAVES on the LAWN only. Everything else gets me unorganized.

This is what I get for saying, "How are you doing today" to 6 clients.

Not a big problem though, I can't really be upset about this, but I just prefer to do work where I'm in and out, without being in the same spot for too long.

Work where I'm stuck in the same spot for too long makes me feel rushed, like I need to be somewhere else and I'm not going to make it on time.

Johnny_boy02
03-23-2012, 10:39 PM
I dont know where you live but look into property preservation companies. In Nov I got sick of all the non payers, bounce checks and other BS. I dropped all my clients except for 1 crazy old lady I feel bad for, and went strictly foreclosure/ property preservation.

So for the lawn part of my business I work only on foreclosed properties. No homeowners to deal with. It is not perfect I still have to do things I dont like changing locks and traveling a bit.

But I worked all fall and winter and in February the turd really hit the fan, I worked everyday (some days only half a day) and brought home about $4000 after my expenses.

Chaz
03-24-2012, 06:21 AM
^ All that crap, I never asked for it. I never wanted to do spring work, unless it's LEAVES on the LAWN only. Everything else gets me unorganized.

This is what I get for saying, "How are you doing today" to 6 clients.

Not a big problem though, I can't really be upset about this, but I just prefer to do work where I'm in and out, without being in the same spot for too long.

Work where I'm stuck in the same spot for too long makes me feel rushed, like I need to be somewhere else and I'm not going to make it on time.

I'd be stoked if i were in your shoes. this is where you make your money, or at least where i make mine. I make money on mowing and all but the one time jobs are premium.

Steve
03-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Do you think you will feel like you are in a better spot once you get a fulltime employee? Or no?