PDA

View Full Version : Season Starting? A Month Early? YES!

SouthallMowing
03-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Last week, first week of mowing, only got have of my clients in. Cause the rest didn't need cut yet. But this week they will. :D A extra month of mowing? Not going to complain. Didn't think that it would start this soon, but after a winter of no snow, it's a good thing. I had landscaping jobs set up, and now I have to move those. Nothing like really getting into the business. :D However, in a way it sucks, Still in high school, then 3 days out of the week I have my EMT Basic class from 6-10. So those 3 days are worthless. BUSY! Plus all my clients want me to roll their lawns, easy money, So I set up a day where I'm going to knock them all out. Gunna be the best day ever, ca-ching! Then on top of all this, I'm on the hunt for an enclosed trailer. At the rate I'm going with this business, I'm going to be a millionaire by age 30. Is anyone else starting way early this year? Also, good dimensions for a trailer to carry 2 trimmers w/ attachments, shovels, rakes, etc, 1 zero turn (38"), 2 push mowers, and some other small equipment. 6x12? 7x14? 8x16?

mark123
03-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Anything before May will be a month earlier than last year. I lost just about all of April due to the rain and one customer split because I tracked up the wet lawn. She was one I didn't mind losing though. Total hemorrhoid, she was.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
03-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Southmall. Whete are you located? I would go bigger if you expand no sense needing a new trailer in a year buy a bigger one now.

Hedgemaster
03-18-2012, 11:04 PM
I cut my own lawn today for the first time, and I expect some calls soon, so yes, it's starting early.
Like Mark said, last year I didn't get my first client cut until the last week of April due to non-stop rains.

Buy bigger than you think you need now if you have the room for it.
I don't have much room to spare in my driveway, so I started with a 5x8 - I should have went with a 10 footer at a minimum.
I just loaded my new walk behind and push mower in the trailer today and they both just fit front to back. Shoulda got a bigger trailer.

SouthallMowing
03-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Right now I have an open 5x10 trailer that could haul a tank. It's not one of those little toys from tractor supply. But I think 7x14 would be sufficient. And for whoever asked, I'm in Waverly, Ohio. Not a huge mowing market. But of the one we have, I pretty much own it. Theres a couple other companies, but I've stolen most of their properties around my clients.

mpriester
03-20-2012, 08:47 PM
i bought a 6x12 trailer and wish i would have went with a 16' or a 7x14 minimum, it hauls both push mowers, 3 trimmers, 1 blower, 1 61" zero turn and 1 50" tractor, but its a tight fit. i plan on adding a 36" or a 48" walk behind and when that happens i will be looking for a 16' enclosed trailer. my suggestion is if you need a 12' trailer to haul what you have go a little bigger as you will need it as you expand, and you will expand.

Sprinkler Buddy
03-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Those of us with year round accounts, this early summer actually cost us more money because they have been needing cut so much sooner than normal. Pick your poison I guess, do by the cut and starve in the winter. lol

SouthallMowing
03-21-2012, 12:08 AM
I got a steal of a trailer today. I'm on my phone so I can't post pictures, but I will get them tomorrow. Amazing trailer for the price.