PDA

View Full Version : Angie's List - My First Review

Hedgemaster
03-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Last week I received a postcard titled "YOU'VE BEEN REVIEWED!"

"One of your customers has posted a report on Angie's List about their experience with your business.
Find out what they said by registering today!"

So I did...

(Misc. Info - Name/Address Reviewer)

Category: Lawn & Yard Work

Overall: A
Price: A
Quality: A
Responsiveness: A
Punctuality: A
Professionalism: A

Hire Again: Yes
Approximate Cost: $30.00
Description Of Work: Oak Leaf Lawn Service maintains our shrubbery and lawn.
Member Comments:
Oak Leaf Lawn Service does our trimming of the bushes and mowing the grass, he is very dependable he is immaculate with the lawn work. He always asks if there’s anything extra we need to have done, he will do extra trimming by the sidewalk and he also takes care of the leaves. He is very professional and I will continue to use him. I highly recommend him.

Getting listed (positively) on Angie's List - what a nice compliment indeed.
I need to thank her for the review.

abbot
03-16-2012, 01:40 AM
ORM (online reputation management)

One of the single most powerful marketing tools. Currently, we work with over 100 different businesses in generating positive online reviews and managing the bad reviews (you won't need me to tell you, you will ALWAYS have that customer that you can't please) So managing the negative reviews and putting them in the hands of a decision maker is key.

But yes, overall this is some powerful stuff. Statistics speak for themselves.

- 55% of Internet users look at other people's reviews.

- 82% of Internet users trust customer reviews over expert reviews (this one is HUGE)

- 50% of ALL internet users over the age of 18 have left a review online

- Customers are actually willing to pay more for companies who have excellent reviews

- 78% of Internet users believe reviews are the most credible form of advertising

Liberty Landscaping LLC
03-16-2012, 08:16 AM
Hedge
Were you already on Angie's list? I looked into it but i felt it was a little expensive for something that wasn't direct advertising more of a review system.

CS-LawnService
03-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Hedge
Were you already on Angie's list? I looked into it but i felt it was a little expensive for something that wasn't direct advertising more of a review system.

I agree as a business I had to pay to be listed ,Seems Angie is the one getting rich

abbot
03-16-2012, 09:44 AM
I agree as a business I had to pay to be listed ,Seems Angie is the one getting rich

High google places listing with google places reviews is much more powerful then a third party website.

Hedgemaster
03-16-2012, 09:50 AM
I don't follow.
I've always understood it that you CAN'T pay to be on Angie's List.

From the main site (http://www.angieslist.com/)...

Get the best service?
Find detailed reviews on roofers, plumbers, house cleaners,
dentists and more! Over 1 Million members check Angie's List
before they hire.

- Companies can't pay to be on Angie's List
- Reviews come from real people like you, not anonymous users
- Exclusive discounts from top-rated businesses – save up to 70%
- Ratings and reviews in over 550 home repair and health care categories
- Live call center and help if a project goes bad.

From the "business" section of the site...

Businesses don't pay to be on Angie's List
Angie's List members rate and review businesses based on their personal hiring experiences.

It appears that you CAN advertise (different than being reviewed) once you're listed and have positive reviews, but I don't think you can simply "sign up" without having been reviewed.

Steve
03-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Currently, we work with over 100 different businesses in generating positive online reviews and managing the bad reviews

Can you tell us some more about this? Hoe does all this work? Do you create a whole bunch of fake accounts on such sites and then give the business owner 5 star reviews?

Also what is your view on the best way to manage bad reviews? Same thing, just overwhelm a bad review with a lot of good ones?

Hedgemaster
03-16-2012, 08:36 PM
I'll be meeting with the client who gave the review tomorrow to go over some spring projects.
I can thank her in person.

Also, about a month ago my single, female neighbor forwarded an email to me that she had sent to a local "women's organization". They were asking for references/contact info for different types of workers/services - people that they trusted, and that they would recommend to other women seeking said services.
Time will tell if anything comes of it.

CHEESE2009
03-16-2012, 09:08 PM
I'll be meeting with the client who gave the review tomorrow to go over some spring projects.
I can thank her in person.

Also, about a month ago my single, female neighbor forwarded an email to me that she had sent to a local "women's organization". They were asking for references/contact info for different types of workers/services - people that they trusted, and that they would recommend to other women seeking said services.
Time will tell if anything comes of it.

Women love to talk, this could be pretty big! Good luck!!!

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpF7Xbv_yrhVab7FIPfMLQMTeg3hxGU 42Lm2xCQPiBpndbmHkeU5-4jSoh

ringahding1
03-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Congrats HEDGE! ! Isn't it gratifying?

My first Angie's review came from one of my first customers who went out of his way and got an account just to give me a review...I will always be grateful for that! Keep it up man! ! !

abbot
03-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Can you tell us some more about this? Hoe does all this work? Do you create a whole bunch of fake accounts on such sites and then give the business owner 5 star reviews?

Also what is your view on the best way to manage bad reviews? Same thing, just overwhelm a bad review with a lot of good ones?

Here is the very basic idea,

- Set up a website that displays a smiley face :) or a frowny face :mad:
- Design a post card or business card saying something like "we value your opinion at the top" give them the website address "reviewgopherforum.com"

- Hand them out to every single person that they do business with. Ask for them to review your service as a "personal favor". They will....

So they get the card that you hand them, you have asked them to review your service as a personal favor. They go home and get on your website "reviewgopherforum.com" and they are brought to the single page with a smiley face and a frowny face.

When they click they smiley face, I have a custom made script that drops down an option box were they can leave a review on review sites ie. google places, yahoo, trip adviser, many more...

When they click the frowny face it redirects them to a contact form asking them to explain the problem. We have a very nice looking form that they fill out. When they complete the form and send it. It sends it to the business owner or upper management.

This does a few things... It only posts GOOD reviews on review sites, it gets the bad reviews into the hands of someone who can actually do something about it, and it stops "winers" from going ape **** and leaving bad reviews all over the net.

Also, if you ever encounter a very upset customer you can simply give them a card and tell them that you would love to hear about the problem in depth and that their encounter will go through a resolution process.

If the details are confusing here is a little example of a web page.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2wf7ar5.png

wandfsmall
03-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Here is the very basic idea,

- Set up a website that displays a smiley face :) or a frowny face :mad:
- Design a post card or business card saying something like "we value your opinion at the top" give them the website address "reviewgopherforum.com"

- Hand them out to every single person that they do business with. Ask for them to review your service as a "personal favor". They will....

So they get the card that you hand them, you have asked them to review your service as a personal favor. They go home and get on your website "reviewgopherforum.com" and they are brought to the single page with a smiley face and a frowny face.

When they click they smiley face, I have a custom made script that drops down an option box were they can leave a review on review sites ie. google places, yahoo, trip adviser, many more...

When they click the frowny face it redirects them to a contact form asking them to explain the problem. We have a very nice looking form that they fill out. When they complete the form and send it. It sends it to the business owner or upper management.

This does a few things... It only posts GOOD reviews on review sites, it gets the bad reviews into the hands of someone who can actually do something about it, and it stops "winers" from going ape **** and leaving bad reviews all over the net.

Also, if you ever encounter a very upset customer you can simply give them a card and tell them that you would love to hear about the problem in depth and that their encounter will go through a resolution process.

That is a good idea that way you can send all of your reviews to sites that can help your search ratings....

Steve
03-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Very interesting! It seems that negative reviewers are more driven/motivated to post reviews about you then positive reviewers.

So maybe this can help allow the negative reviewers to get some satisfaction, like you said before they go ape **** across the internet.

These review sites cut both ways so look out!

gartslawncare
03-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Our company has been extremely successful on Angie's List - so I thought I'd put in my 2 cents. We've had a presence on the site for several years and have earned the Super Service Award in several categories for the last 2 years. Most of our new customers come from this website - and they are GREAT customers.

Business cannot add themselves to the site. You must be added by a customer. Once you have been added, you can choose to advertise. However, only the businesses with top ratings are allowed to advertise or offer a coupon/discount.

Once you get on Angie's List, be sure to update your profile and keep your info up to date as much as possible. There is also a way to compare your current customer list to Angie's List member database to see if there are any matches - if so, you can request your current customer to leave a review for you.

We no longer advertise any other way and are busier than ever this spring....and I owe it to this website for sure.

Hope that helps!!

Steve
03-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Our company has been extremely successful on Angie's List - so I thought I'd put in my 2 cents. We've had a presence on the site for several years and have earned the Super Service Award in several categories for the last 2 years.

Do you have any suggestions for others as to how to get good reviews on that site and how to get your customers to review you at all? It seems most customers won't write a review because it takes extra effort. Is there anything you can do to get them to do this?

Hedgemaster
04-08-2012, 11:24 AM
I just got another "A" rating from someone I've done work for.

:)

Steve
04-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Should you somehow promote that in your marketing?

Hedgemaster
04-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Should you somehow promote that in your marketing?

I'm looking into it.

Once you have a certain level of ratings with them, you are permitted to use the Angie's List logo in your advertising.
It's trademarked and there are restrictions on the use of the name and logo (obviously), so you can't just start slapping their info in your ads.

Hedgemaster
05-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Received my third positive review...

Steve
05-28-2012, 10:37 AM
WOW! Now it will be fascinating to see how that effects where your new customers find you from.