PDA

View Full Version : From Weeds To Green Lawn

jford1995
03-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Hey guys for the past several years i have been looking at my lawn and wanting to try and make it look better but have never gotten around to it.. as spring is here i am looking at my lawn and its all weeds! i have decided i will use scotts seeds and fertilizers. however, should i spray a weed killer then aerate and seed or should i seed use a started fertilizer then kill weeds? any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Steve
03-16-2012, 02:32 PM
See if any of these two blog articles help

How to perform a lawn renovation job. (http://lawnchat.com/lawn-care-services/how-to-perform-a-lawn-renovation-job.html)

How to bid a lawn renovation job (http://lawnchat.com/lawn-care-business/how-to-bid-a-lawn-rennovation-job.html).

Keep us posted on how this job goes.

WalterLabno
03-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Hey guys for the past several years i have been looking at my lawn and wanting to try and make it look better but have never gotten around to it.. as spring is here i am looking at my lawn and its all weeds! i have decided i will use scotts seeds and fertilizers. however, should i spray a weed killer then aerate and seed or should i seed use a started fertilizer then kill weeds? any and all input is greatly appreciated.

this early in the sring you have plenty of time to get rid of the weedds first using a broadleaf weed spray that hooks up to your garden hose.

Dan Frazer Gardening
03-18-2012, 01:28 PM
You should ideally treat all weeds first before seeding. I suggest at least a 4-week gap, as any residual weed killer can kill newly-germinated grass seeds.

jford1995
03-18-2012, 07:38 PM
sounds great guys thanks!

Steve
03-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Take some before and after pictures and tell us what you decide to go with.

Organic
03-20-2012, 06:52 PM
I would not worry about the weeds and start concentrating on the soil. Get a soil test and or start putting down soil amendment products all season long,then kill everything in august. Cut the dead grass as low as possible and remove till you see dirt. GET GOOD GRASS SEED order it from a seed company not scotts keep it moist for a couple of weeks a wala! That's what I would do.

Moki
03-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Aerate your lawn then Dolopril lime it.

Next if you have very little sand in the soil distribute with a shovel/wheelbarrow up to 3/8" of sand and rake it so there are no areas over 1/2".

Go to Home Depot if you have moss buy some Moss-Out comes in an appr 1 gal container just hook it up to your hose and spray as directed.

You can do the same thing for your weeds buy Weed & Feed this will get rid of most of your weeds.

Then overseed the areas that need it.

If this doesn't help you will need an industrial strength application call your local lawn care company that specializes in lawn care it may cost a bit more than the above but it will be done right and you will have a lawn nicer than you thought possible.

Only issue is you will now have to cut your lawn a lot more because it is so healthy... :p