PDA

View Full Version : Ever have a hard time getting your blades off?

mark123
03-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Usually I get a wood block to hold the blades in place, get out my 1/2" drive ratchet and put a breaker bar extension on it and still have to use my feet to push hard enough to get my blades off. Sometimes even that won't work.

Today, I stopped at Lowe's and picked up one of these: http://www.lowes.com/pd_254285-70-DCF885C2_0__?&productId=3441518 I didn't want to get a compressor because I can't take it with me on the road and my garage isn't big enough for more stuff.

I told the guy at Lowe's what I was going to try it on and he laughed and said "good luck, you can bring it back if you want". Let me tell you, I'm so pleased with it. Zip, zip, two blades off holding them with my hand (no wood block). I could barely believe my eyes. I guess the Lowe's guy didn't have experience with the 20v equipment.

I have no doubt this will also take wheel lugs off of my truck.

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-14-2012, 08:06 PM
20v stuff is just newer and not as popular as 18v but theres no reason why it wouldnt work. The only thing I wouldnt like about that model is its 1/4". Other then that its a good driver.

I just drilled through my truck frame with a 18v dewalt to set up a plow. My carpenter buddy told me no battery powered driver would work and asked if I wanna borrow his electric drill?

Hedgemaster
03-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Hahahahaha!!!

Did you see that mentioned recently on that other lawn site?
I did. I was like, "Hmmmm... gots me a walk behind now - gonna need me sum toolz"...

Glad it works. Have to think about getting oen once the funds start rolling in.

Giant Eagle gift cards for that = $12 in free gas too!

mark123
03-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Hahahahaha!!!

Did you see that mentioned recently on that other lawn site?Heck yeah! :D LOL

Giant Eagle gift cards for that = $12 in free gas too!Crap! I should have thought of that! DANG IT!!!!!

bruces
03-14-2012, 09:26 PM
if you bought that just for changing blades,bring it back and get the same basic unit with a 3/8" or better yet a 1/2" square drive .The weak part is the 1/4" adapter has a groove and they snap right there when your knocking off nuts and bolts .If you want the best tool for running screws into wood or sheet metal ,you couldnt ask for too much better .

wandfsmall
03-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Usually I get a wood block to hold the blades in place, get out my 1/2" drive ratchet and put a breaker bar extension on it and still have to use my feet to push hard enough to get my blades off. Sometimes even that won't work.

Today, I stopped at Lowe's and picked up one of these: http://www.lowes.com/pd_254285-70-DCF885C2_0__?&productId=3441518 I didn't want to get a compressor because I can't take it with me on the road and my garage isn't big enough for more stuff.

I told the guy at Lowe's what I was going to try it on and he laughed and said "good luck, you can bring it back if you want". Let me tell you, I'm so pleased with it. Zip, zip, two blades off holding them with my hand (no wood block). I could barely believe my eyes. I guess the Lowe's guy didn't have experience with the 20v equipment.

I have no doubt this will also take wheel lugs off of my truck.

Try using anti-seize on your blade bolts, and I am not sure if that impact will get the blades tight enough... I would tighten them with a breaker bar or ratchet afterwards.

mark123
03-14-2012, 09:43 PM
if you bought that just for changing blades,bring it back and get the same basic unit with a 3/8" or better yet a 1/2" square drive .The weak part is the 1/4" adapter has a groove and they snap right there when your knocking off nuts and bolts .If you want the best tool for running screws into wood or sheet metal ,you couldnt ask for too much better .

Ima use it for EVERYTHING!

mark123
03-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Try using anti-seize on your blade bolts, and I am not sure if that impact will get the blades tight enough... I would tighten them with a breaker bar or ratchet afterwards.

You could tighten them by hand and let the action of the spindle tighten up the bolt. I've done it before and let me tell you I couldn't break that sucker free with all my strength. It really pulled that mutha tight.

bruces
03-14-2012, 11:17 PM
I just checked dewalts site ,it doesnt appear they have the 3/8" and 1/2" drive units out for 20 volt yet ,but they do have them for 18 volt .The 20 volt stuff just came out in September ,I guess they havent finished filling out the line-up yet .

wandfsmall
03-15-2012, 07:11 AM
You could tighten them by hand and let the action of the spindle tighten up the bolt. I've done it before and let me tell you I couldn't break that sucker free with all my strength. It really pulled that mutha tight.

that could also damage the spindle though. I have seen it strip the threads before.

dpld
03-15-2012, 07:47 AM

exactly, and you can use a impact to take them off but never to put them back on.

that's a big no no.

mark123
03-15-2012, 08:36 AM
that could also damage the spindle though. I have seen it strip the threads before.
yeah. I'd never do that again. I just wasn't thinking and started the blade when moving the mower to a better angle for tightening the blades.

mark123
03-15-2012, 08:42 AM
exactly, and you can use a impact to take them off but never to put them back on.

that's a big no no.
Why's that? Every other lawn care operation around here uses air powered impact wrenches to put the blades on. Local repair shops, too.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just to explain your position.

Hedgemaster
03-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Should a torque wrench be used to put it on, or isn't that necessary?

wandfsmall
03-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Should a torque wrench be used to put it on, or isn't that necessary?

no in fact I am not against an impact as long as you do not let it hammer. I know shops that have done that for 20 years and never had a problem. I also know of shops that use a really heavy impact and have lots of problems though.

dpld
03-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Why's that? Every other lawn care operation around here uses air powered impact wrenches to put the blades on. Local repair shops, too.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just to explain your position.

you have no means of knowing if you are over tightening the bolt or if it is not tight enough as well as most spindle houseings are aluminium.
take a piece of cast aluminium and hit it with a hammer hard and see what happens or even a peice of cast iron, it will break.
to some extent that is how a impact gun operates and the excessive tightness and hundreds of impacts per second will give you the same result.

even car and truck tires are supposed to be torqued by hand to a specific ft lb of tightness, so why would you do that to a little rinky dink spindle?

if everyone were jumping off of a cliff would that mean you will follow.

just because everyone does something does not mean it is right, i think the reason why you see so many people doing it is because they are lazy, afterall we live in the society of lazyness and everyone wants the quickest easiest way to do things.

depending on the size of your mower what will you have, 1 to 4 bolts to remove by hand? if you put ant sieze on the bolts prior to replaceing them which you are supposed to do anyway, you will never have to fight a bolt again.
you can't expect power equipment to make up for the improper techniques applied during maintenence regimines

mark123
03-16-2012, 03:12 PM
... if everyone were jumping off of a cliff would that mean you will follow. ...
No, but let's go ahead with this. Why don't you tell me how many mowers you've serviced for people over the past 35 years.

What I'm saying is I don't just follow the crowd but if everyone, everywhere is using something there is probably a reason and the fact that they are highly successful with a backlog of customers year around, tell me why I should ignore it. Tell me why they're wrong. Then tell me if you're advice is based on experience or speculation.

mark123
03-16-2012, 05:13 PM
I don't know. That came out wrong. Re-reading it sounds, umm, hostile? Maybe? Apologies.

Just looking for real world information. This tool can literally save the day in the field by changing blades in 30 seconds instead of having to take the mower back to home base.

Hedgemaster
03-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Needed or not, I picked up a torque wrench at Harbor Freight today for $9 w/coupon.

"Quality", Chinese tools for minimal US dollahs. :D

mark123
03-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Needed or not, I picked up a torque wrench at Harbor Freight today for $9 w/coupon.

"Quality", Chinese tools for minimal US dollahs. :D You could buy 22 of them for the price I paid and just keep throwing them out as they break. :p

JeffK26
03-16-2012, 09:46 PM
I ordered Beef fried rice, sesame chicken and got a tool from harbor freight tonight for dinner.

Total was 13.50 plus tip.

dpld
03-17-2012, 08:26 AM
No, but let's go ahead with this. Why don't you tell me how many mowers you've serviced for people over the past 35 years.

What I'm saying is I don't just follow the crowd but if everyone, everywhere is using something there is probably a reason and the fact that they are highly successful with a backlog of customers year around, tell me why I should ignore it. Tell me why they're wrong. Then tell me if you're advice is based on experience or speculation.

i think being in business for 22 plus years and being in the industry for 28 years makes me a little qualified.
i think doing over a half mil a year in business and having close to $200,000 grand in equipment qualifies me enough to have a opinion.

i don't fix other peoples equipment i buy and fix my own equipment and to date i probably spent in my 22 plus years in business over a half mil on mowers, trucks, trailers, etc ,etc.

i tend to lean on the side of caution because it might take me a whopping 5 extra minutes to take a set of blades off then you but that is still less time then to replace a aluminium spindle on one of my several exmark lazers or a gear drive unit on one of my 4 walker mowers.

so i think all of the above more then qualifies me and puts my opinion far above " speculation " as you put it.

as i said if anyone who works for me wants to take the blades off with a impact gun, feel free, but if you try to put them back on with the impact you will never touch my equipment again and you will need to find another job.

someone inquired about opinions and i gave mine and no one ever got into trouble taking the side of caution and everyone is free to do as they wish but when it comes to my equipment it is my way or the highway.

wandfsmall
03-17-2012, 09:51 AM

"Quality", Chinese tools for minimal US dollahs. :D

I always worry about how accurate the harborfreight tools torque wrench is.

wandfsmall
03-17-2012, 09:57 AM
as i said if anyone who works for me wants to take the blades off with a impact gun, feel free, but if you try to put them back on with the impact you will never touch my equipment again and you will need to find another job.

I am glade you hold your mechanics to a standard. Personally I use a ratchet as it is faster, I am normally using the air for the oil evac system, and most of the time I have to get out a ratchet to get the bolts out around here anyway as my customers like to hit things with their mowers. But I do not see many problem with spindles from impacts.

mark123
03-17-2012, 10:23 AM
... But I do not see many problem with spindles from impacts.
That was going to be my next question. Have you actually seen any problems caused by impact wrenches? Driving over a brick or a softball would most likely do more damage and even that would probably have no effect on the spindle.

mark123
03-17-2012, 04:41 PM
i think being in business for 22 plus years and being in the industry for 28 years makes me a little qualified.
i think doing over a half mil a year in business and having close to $200,000 grand in equipment qualifies me enough to have a opinion. ...

Yes, you're completely correct. I just needed to know if it was an opinion based on speculation or if you had some issues with an impact wrench breaking parts off of your mowers. I do thank you for your opinion and I will take it into consideration.

willshome
03-17-2012, 05:16 PM
most auto shops are now making their techs check the torque of wheels by hand because air guns very greatly because of PSI flexing and how many "hits" after making contact. So damage from over torquing or falling off from under not worth the min. saved

mark123
03-17-2012, 06:16 PM
THIS JUST IN: CHINESE TEA PRICES ARE UP! :p