PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Which Mower

Clays Landscape
03-12-2012, 10:42 PM
I am in the market for a Grandstand mower. I have finally found 2 different ones. I would like to get your opinion on which one to purchase. I need to get this ASAP as I have started mowing.

OPTION 1:
NEW FROM DEALER 2010 40" Grandstand. 2 hours. $6800
I can get toro financing with this 0%for 24 months.

OPTION 2:
2011 36" Grandstand Mower. 94.5 hours. Mulching Kit. $5000
I have cash to be able to purchase this.

Thank you all for your opinion!

jonathan thomas
03-12-2012, 11:18 PM
I've never really tried toro. But just my opinion before you buy you should check out exmark vantage its a stander mower deck sizes from 36' to 52'. And I believe there around. 8,000. But they come with a 3 year warranty and zero percent for 36 months.
I've started running exmark recently and am completely happy with them. The best advice I can give is buy the mower from a place that has really good customer service.

wandfsmall
03-13-2012, 08:20 AM
I am in the market for a Grandstand mower. I have finally found 2 different ones. I would like to get your opinion on which one to purchase. I need to get this ASAP as I have started mowing.

OPTION 1:
NEW FROM DEALER 2010 40" Grandstand. 2 hours. $6800
I can get toro financing with this 0%for 24 months.

OPTION 2:
2011 36" Grandstand Mower. 94.5 hours. Mulching Kit. $5000
I have cash to be able to purchase this.

Thank you all for your opinion!

to give you a good answer we would need the engine options. Without that your going to get an uninformed answer.

Also for your information Exmark is owned by Toro and I can assure you the quality of the exmark is no higher then the quality of the toro units. But I do agree buy a mower from a good servicing dealer, that way you can be assured it was set up properly, and get support.

mark123
03-13-2012, 08:25 AM
I'll give the same answer as I gave on the other forum.

Stay away from the 40" Turboforce. STAY. AWAY!

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=11991

strength
03-13-2012, 08:47 AM
go # 2 with cash they might drop the price

mark123
03-13-2012, 09:10 AM
... 2011 36" Grandstand Mower. 94.5 hours. Mulching Kit. ...
I was told there is no mulching kit for the 36". :mad:

deschampsbrothers
03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
go test a 36' scag v-ride then make a decision. it's a little more money for a reason but once you test it out you will clearly understand why. It leaves the cleanest cut and u can turn on a dime, and it has the kiaw engine on it. they also redesigned the area of the gas tank where there is one on each side so it helps with evening out your weight on hills and slopes. Another thing i noticed was that the engine sticks out a little farther to give you more room to perform maintenance.
also if you are a first time scag buyer you can get special fianancing with zero percent over 3 years or 2.8 over 5 years as long as you can get approved. I only own scags but I am purchasing one of these 36' myself in the next month or so. i never purchased one new so thats how i found out about the financing. im going with the 5 year plan because your only going to pay like 200 dollars in interest over 5 years. just dont see it worth giving them my money earlier than need be over 200 bucks.
I've tested and did all the numbers on 36' Toro's, Scags, Exmarks,Walkers
and after using all them i found the scag v-ride was where it was at for effeciency and how nice of a cut it left behind.
3 yr 0% is roughly $200month
5 yr 2.5% is roughly$120 month

mark123
03-13-2012, 12:49 PM
go test a 36' scag v-ride then make a decision. it's a little more money for a reason but once you test it out you will clearly understand why. It leaves the cleanest cut ...
I talked to the local Scag dealer recently. I said all I want is for it to cut and stripe as well as my Toro and he said it could handle that. Then I showed him pictures of my lawns and he nearly choked on his tongue. 3 minutes later when he could get words out of his mouth he was reluctant to make any claims.

I need pictures of a lawn cut by a Scag with a velocity deck. Can you help?

Cut with my old dead Toro 36" fixed deck mower:
http://boughterslawncare.com/Content/images/churchYard.jpg
(picture taken with a decent camera)

Cut with my new Toro 36" Turboforce:
http://images.imaginekitty.com/jgLawn.jpg
(picture taken with a crappy cell phone)

deschampsbrothers
03-13-2012, 05:57 PM
http://C:\Users\Mark\Pictures\2012-03-08\2012-02-10

mark123
03-13-2012, 06:17 PM
I can't see pictures on your hard drive.

deschampsbrothers
03-13-2012, 06:18 PM
i tried posting pictures but it seems that they are to big for the site to load, if you have an email i can send them to you so you can see, it comes down to whether or not you spend the extra money and get the nice striping kit that has 3 different rollers, i also take sharpening my blades as a big deal, i sharpen my blades every 30-35 lawns i mow and u will be able to see in the pictures what a difference it makes

deschampsbrothers
03-13-2012, 06:26 PM
let me know if you want to see them

mark123
03-13-2012, 07:08 PM
let me know if you want to see them

I do. Thanks, man. I sent you a private message. :)

wandfsmall
03-13-2012, 07:30 PM
I talked to the local Scag dealer recently. I said all I want is for it to cut and stripe as well as my Toro and he said it could handle that. Then I showed him pictures of my lawns and he nearly choked on his tongue. 3 minutes later when he could get words out of his mouth he was reluctant to make any claims.
If that is without a roller that is an impressive stripe, whoever setup your deck did a good job. I doubt anything will do a better job. Just as good yes, but not better.

mark123
03-13-2012, 08:17 PM
If that is without a roller that is an impressive stripe, whoever setup your deck did a good job. I doubt anything will do a better job. Just as good yes, but not better.
I don't use a roller and I set the deck myself. Thanks for the compliment. :) Of course, I do the fertilizing, too. So it's a combination of both that give that nice stripe.

Just as good is fine as I am happy with the cut the Toro gives now. If anything can give me the same quality with better customer service I'll be giddy like a schoolgirl.

wandfsmall
03-13-2012, 09:40 PM
I don't use a roller and I set the deck myself. Thanks for the compliment. :) Of course, I do the fertilizing, too. So it's a combination of both that give that nice stripe.

Just as good is fine as I am happy with the cut the Toro gives now. If anything can give me the same quality with better customer service I'll be giddy like a schoolgirl.

you can make any commercial walk leave a stripe like that, hell I can make even a consumer unit stripe it is mostly in the setup. The thing is a scag is setup from the factory to stripe so some claim it is the only one that can do it. But you did a nice job on the deck setup.

another tip is someone shows you a picture with a better stripe it could be the deck is not level, that would look like a nice stripe in a photo taken at the perfect angle;)

Clays Landscape
03-13-2012, 09:41 PM
to give you a good answer we would need the engine options. Without that your going to get an uninformed answer.

Also for your information Exmark is owned by Toro and I can assure you the quality of the exmark is no higher then the quality of the toro units. But I do agree buy a mower from a good servicing dealer, that way you can be assured it was set up properly, and get support.

They both have the same 18hp motor.

mark123
03-13-2012, 09:54 PM
you can make any commercial walk leave a stripe like that, hell I can make even a consumer unit stripe it is mostly in the setup. The thing is a scag is setup from the factory to stripe so some claim it is the only one that can do it. But you did a nice job on the deck setup. 1/4" forward pitch for a small deck seems to work.

another tip is someone shows you a picture with a better stripe it could be the deck is not level, that would look like a nice stripe in a photo taken at the perfect angle;) Double blades really improves the striping, too. ;)

wandfsmall
03-14-2012, 08:06 AM
They both have the same 18hp motor.

The only good advice I see in this thread is from Mark, he apparently had trouble with the 40" deck discharging and giving a good cut. I would say you might be better off with the 36"