PDA

View Full Version : warning about aftermarket filters

FaccLndscpng
03-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Not sure how true this is but I figure I would share with everyone. I have a 2005 Ford F-250, and had some trouble with coils or a valve or something. I canít remember exactly what was fixed on the truck this time (since I have been sinking a lot of money into it these past few months). Anyway, the dealership said that itís not good to use the upgraded aftermarket oil filters on the Ford trucks. They recommend their brand (no surprise here) but I guess the filterís screens are too small and foul up other parts of the engine. You think you are doing something good by spending a lot of money on the top filter to strain out a lot of the contaminates but I guess itís not good after all.

thegroundscrew
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
I also have a 2005 ford f250 and just went to the dealership to get new fuel injectors and transmission which cost me $1,950.00. Before I went to the dealership I wanted to save some money so I replaced the oil, all fuel filters, air filters, and oil filters with non Ford brands. The dealership also told me once I was there that I should only use ford brand filters because they said every truck that has come in the repair shop was due to using after market filters. That is what they told me and I dont know if that is true or they are just trying to get money out of us. But they could be right. Could help to possibly do some research though.

jonathan thomas
03-12-2012, 10:24 PM
On the ford 6.0 diesel trucks is at the bottom of the canister where the oil filer goes the after market filters don't have an anti-drain back valve causing everytime you start your truck its just like a dry start. (What they told me)

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-12-2012, 11:03 PM
there is a difference with the oil filters for 2003 fords and above. As mentioned they dont fit right. That doesnt mean there isnt good aftermarket parts for it thought. The head studs, oil cooler, that are used to bulletproof these are all aftermarket and made better.

jonathan thomas
03-13-2012, 06:21 AM
I got so tried of all the problems with my 2004. (Blow head gaskets at 95,000,egr problems, injectors, so on and so on.. I just got a Chevrolet

wandfsmall
03-13-2012, 07:09 AM
the problem is not aftermarket oil filters it is you have to use the correct filter for the application. Most autoparts stores just care that the filter fits on and does not leak for the cross over. It is the same thing you find in filters for lawnmowers. The stats have to be correct for the filter to work correctly and not damage your engine.

strength
03-13-2012, 07:56 AM
buy a dodge problem solved

Ducke
03-13-2012, 06:52 PM
buy a dodge problem solved

Buying a Dodge is only the start of your problems :eek:

"Friends don't let friends buy Dodge's" :D

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-13-2012, 07:01 PM

buying a dodge is a never ending problem.

wandfsmall
03-13-2012, 08:42 PM

Yes but since it will be in the shop for everything else you will not see a problem with the oil filter:D

strength
03-14-2012, 05:56 AM
i have 2 95 dodges a 1500 and a 2500 i bought both new never have they let me set and i have never needed to take to a shop i have done all my own repair-es the 1500 has 250 K 2500 almost 200 K all make and models have good and bad years me i have never had luck with ford or Chevy as for buying new trucks my trucks get 12mpg now and new get 14mpg so i don't see the need i paid $60 each to have trans cooler installed from dealer both have same Eng and trans from dealer