PDA

View Full Version : Getting My Truck Lettered, Check It Out...

IVPropertyMaintenance
03-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Alright so I attached a picture of the rendering that was e-mailed to me for my truck lettering. I just wanted to let everyone know that it is possible to look like a pro with a custom logo and customer lettering for less than $100.

I know it doesn't exactly have the WOW factor, but it's clean and easy to read. I got to custom design my logo for FREE (yes free) on logosnap.com which actually gives you all the formats including vector for FREE. They appreciate a donation but it is not mandatory. Anyways, I made a pretty simple logo, e-mailed it off to the local vinyl printers and got this photo back. I think it looks pretty dang nice if I do say so myself.

Obviously you could go into a lot more detail, but with that comes a lot more cost. This is my second year in business and is a big step up from the faded and peeling magnetic signs from last year. Plus, the vinyl is only costing me $90.00 which means I have to put it on. I've applied vinyl before and as long as you take your time and have a partner help you if possible, it's pretty quick and easy (especially with an easy logo like mine).

Anyways, let me know what you think. Any advice? I was thinking that later on I could ad a sort of bullet list of featured services on the panel of the half door. Thanks for any input!

dpld
03-10-2012, 08:28 AM
i think it is very simple and to the point and looks good.

the only thing i would change is the web address on the bed, i would have been more inclined to use the line for services like:

" FOUR SEASON PROPERTY CARE "

or " WEEKLY SERVICE - SHRUB TRIMMING - MULCHING "

visual advertiseing is just like the internet and you have to use key words,
instead they are called trigger words.

for example their lawn may be fine but they might be thinking about those shrubs that need trimming or mulching that they keep putting off and it gets more of a stir out of them when they see reminders.

just my two cents because phone numbers are shorter and easier to remember then web addresses and your truck needs to make a specific impact very quickly to be effective and useing the valuble limited space on your truck for multiple ways to contact you is reduntant.

IVPropertyMaintenance
03-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Very good points... I agree about listing services, thats what I was saying about putting a list on the back door where it is blank now. I was also thinking that you could still add additional services below the website. Call me crazy but I have heard a lot of people say that it's nice to browse my website and get an idea of some of the services I offer without having to call and give me the 'ol "Do you do this? What about that?" phone call. Then they feel more prepared when they call. If more people started using my website, I could expand it by putting more money into it and utilizing it better. Just a shot in the dark I guess, still I think theres plenty of room to list services.

Eventually my plan is to pay a professional to spruce up the logo, but by then hopefully I'll be driving truck number two. I can learn from this one to make the next even better. One step at a time...

Hedgemaster
03-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Another tip:

WORDS ARE NOT AS EASILY READ WHEN USING ALL CAPITAL LETTERING.

If possible, ask if they can show you the web address with the words capitalized, as it may break it up into a more readable line of text.

I ran into an issue with my website, in that at a quick glance, "flawn" jumps out at you, and it just seems "weird".
I now capitalize each word to make it easier to read.

www.oakleaflawn.com

WWW.OAKLEAFLAWN.COM

www.OakLeafLawn.com

IVPropertyMaintenance
03-10-2012, 06:13 PM
I kinda like the capital letters because they match the logo. I know exactly what you mean though. I was even thinking that because I'm going to have to cut the website into more manageable pieces than the 7ft long piece it comes in, I would put an ever so small space between each of the words to let the eyes show a natural break in the wording. I think that will work without having to lose the capitalized look I like... I really appreciate the words of advice everyone, I know it seems like I may just be contradicting everything your saying with a "yeah but..." but I want you to know that I have already though of a couple ways to tweak it because of your tips. Thanks again!:D

Ducke
03-10-2012, 07:14 PM
I hate to use my truck as the right way but it the only one I have pictures of.
I had it done a Major Sign Shop here in town.
http://www.gopherforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4258&d=1315014500
http://www.gopherforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4261&d=1315014698

If anyone else has some pic of their trucks post them so we can see what is working out there.
I too agree the capitals is to much beside I have never seen a web address that was done in caps on a computer. You also need to list your services as well,
not all lawn care and landscape companies do the same things people will appreciate know if they should call you or not.

Steve
03-12-2012, 02:34 PM
For those that switched from magnetic signs to vinyl lettering, what was the point where you decided, I am going to do this?

What is your view on why so many seem to shy away from vinyl lettering? Is it they don't know how long their business will be around for? Or are they concerned with their truck's paint job or what is it?

And how once you got the vinyl lettering did things change for you?

Cashin H&P
03-12-2012, 08:20 PM
I had the magnetic signs on my old 1994 f150 but when I baught my new truck a 2004 chevy 1500 z71 I wanted every thing to look professional so I did it. It cost me $530 but i had some signs made to so thats why it was so high. I cant say if it has given me work but I can say it gets you noticed.

IVPropertyMaintenance
03-12-2012, 11:14 PM
The ultimate goal for me is to get noticed. I live in a small town where a lot of people have their own "small businesses" complete with magnetic door signs for their cars. More and more people are driving around with them and I noticed that I rarely read them because I don't find most of them to be a service or product I want or need. If a sign goes "outside the box" of a vinyl sign, it gets noticed (at least by me).

Not only is it NOT a vinyl sign, but it's way bigger and bolder than anything I could squeeze onto a magnet. People who need yard services provided for them will not call you if you don't catch their eye.

I also feel that the customer looks at a magnetic sign as easily disposed of. They want to know that their yard care provider isn't going to wake up one morning and pull his magnets off just before selling his equipment on craigslist and never coming to mow their yard again. Not that a decal proves anything, just that you mean business....

All in all, to each their own...:)

avetslawncare
03-12-2012, 11:48 PM
I do magnetic signs because my HOA, I have to take them off everynight.... i wish I could do lettering or even a wrap but that isn't possible unless i store my truck somewhere else....

btw, i got a job for a church today, 4100...about 2500 in profit.

thegroundscrew
03-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Avets Lawn Care you are really doing well with business it appears. I hope your success continue throughout Spring and Summer. What are your secrets? Any advice to offer us? BTW I like the new truck. I new something was lacking with that trailer.

ringahding1
03-13-2012, 08:24 AM
That is perfect Duck! I love the logo, it really stands out..excellent advertising!

IVPropertyMaintenance
03-16-2012, 01:46 PM
So I picked up the vinyl lettering and installed it yesterday. Definitely NOT easy. For the most part it was pretty straight forward but it gets tricky trying to keep all the air bubbles out and the letter like to stick to the film you're peeling off verses the backing they're supposed to stay stuck to. All in all, for under $100 my truck looks pretty dang good if I do say some myself. I took it out driving around today and could literally see heads turning. People are much more responsive to it than they ever were with the magnets. I know it's simple but it stands out now.

Steve
03-16-2012, 01:51 PM
That is fantastic! Nice job!

How long did it take?

dpld
03-16-2012, 02:52 PM
So I picked up the vinyl lettering and installed it yesterday. Definitely NOT easy. For the most part it was pretty straight forward but it gets tricky trying to keep all the air bubbles out and the letter like to stick to the film you're peeling off verses the backing they're supposed to stay stuck to. All in all, for under $100 my truck looks pretty dang good if I do say some myself. I took it out driving around today and could literally see heads turning. People are much more responsive to it than they ever were with the magnets. I know it's simple but it stands out now.

where did you get the decals from? sounds like a great price.

IVPropertyMaintenance
03-16-2012, 04:52 PM
It took me about an hour to do the entire truck. You really have to take your time (not something you want to just slap on there). Considering they wanted to charge me $180 to install or $90 for the the vinyl, I feel I did alright on the deal. Basically got paid $90 to do it myself.

As far as where i got the vinyl, it's a local business here in southern Oregon. their website is imprintsservices.com and they did an awesome job for the price. I'm going to have them cut out some bulletpoint services to throw on the half door.

Not only was I on a budget, but I also wanted to show how anyone tight on cash right now can effectively look like a pro for less that $100.

Hedgemaster
03-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Good job. I have a friend who used to have a side business doing vinyl and he said the more simple designs like that can be handled by a novice, but it can get tricky with more complicated applications.

I think I'm going to have my website put across the top of my windshield, or perhaps on a bug deflector.

IVPropertyMaintenance
03-17-2012, 02:14 PM
I think I'm going to have my website put across the top of my windshield, or perhaps on a bug deflector.

That sounds like a good idea but everyone looking in their rear-view mirror would read it backwards. You'de almost want it printed in reverse (like how the ambulances have it) so they can read it.

I'm going to have them print me out my website and phone number again so I can put it on my tailgate. How many times have you been stuck at a red light and noticed someones personalized license plate, or a bumper stick they have. Wouldn't it be nice to have your info back there so anyone getting stuck behind you gets to read it? That would make me want to stop more for yellow lights instead of trying to get through them...

avetslawncare
03-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Thank you, business is great.... brought in 820 today, paid my worked 220 bc he is great and a tough worker....he cuts trees during the week and really helps out when it comes to trees....

tricks:
Have a name or slogan or SOMETHING that makes you different from other businesses.....

....network network network

.....i put signs in some customers yards and tell them ill give them $10 for every new customer from that sign....i also keep track of how most customers find me and stick with it....2 best things...1) word of mouth 2) craigslist.....

also, when i do estimates a bring a binder of before and after pics, this is the part that seals the deals.

....i don't undercharge, that way i can ensure quality

....i keep my ipad on me, and have some plants app and mulch app, this is great...they are always impressed. This usually seals the deal too, especially when they don't know what color mulch they want

.....i find guys to help me who are dependable and trustworthy, I pay them $12 an hour put throw in nice bonuses if we get a ton of work done...treat them right & they will do the same

...facebook page with before & after pics....offer giveaways, i like to do a free mowing with fertilizer each month

...get involved in the community, i recently called the local newspaper and got a story written on my business and got people to enter in a contest for a free yard makeover....and picked 3 judges, many calls from people who wanted me to start doing their lawns.....get involved in a local church, can bring in tons of new business

Hedgemaster
03-18-2012, 12:07 AM
That sounds like a good idea but everyone looking in their rear-view mirror would read it backwards. You'de almost want it printed in reverse (like how the ambulances have it) so they can read it.

I'm going to have them print me out my website and phone number again so I can put it on my tailgate. How many times have you been stuck at a red light and noticed someones personalized license plate, or a bumper stick they have. Wouldn't it be nice to have your info back there so anyone getting stuck behind you gets to read it? That would make me want to stop more for yellow lights instead of trying to get through them...

I considered the "backwards" approach, but thinking about it, I think there are many more potential clients who will see the truck while it's parked. The people walking by as I work on their neighbor's lawn are a better target audience than some random person driving in front of me that may, or may not look in the mirror, and may not even be from an area I service.

Dan Frazer Gardening
03-18-2012, 06:50 AM
I agree, lettering should be printed normal so people notice it while it is parked. Here is mine, cost was 240, or in the region of $380 I guess. The guy helped tidy up the design I sent him.

Here in the UK we tend to use panel vans for business rather than 4x4s as diesel is so expensive (equivalent to over $10 a gallon), plus the nature of business means I need space in the van for two mowers (people here love stripes but I also need a 4-wheel mower for some lawns), spraying equipment, chainsaws, brushcutters and a lot more.

I think a written vehicle is very important as it puts across a professional image, and after all it is 24/7 'free' advertising! I have had a few 000 work from people who got my details from the van.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/glasgowdan/IMGP2511-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/glasgowdan/IMGP2514-1.jpg

avetslawncare
03-25-2012, 11:51 PM
http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg487/avetslawncare/avets/