PDA

View Full Version : bought some marketing material!

Chaz
03-06-2012, 11:11 PM
sent out my introduction letters about 3 weeks ago, got one call, ended up doing about $400 worth of work and also got a bunch more lined up and an annual mowing contract with the client.

Just ordered 5,000 business cards from vista print also got 500 business magnets

built my website up a little bit at www.local-landscapers.com

also ordered 100 24" x 18" lawn signs

also got a couple of friends to write referrals for me on here;
http://local.yahoo.com/info-97265400-local-landscapers-mineral;_ylt=AicJiCzv1_8rE_bnL2m8oCWHNcIF;_ylv=3?c sz=Mineral%2C+VA

hoping to get slammed with business this year :D

willshome
03-07-2012, 07:11 AM
100 lawn signs look great. where did you get them and if you don't mind how much did they cost?
BTW your site looks good but "why choose us" "about me" I and we, I would pick one, flipping around from I and we is hard to follow

abbot
03-07-2012, 09:18 AM
TIP: When handing out business cards, ALWAYS give in sets of 2 or more. One for them, one for a friend. TELL them to refer you.

Sometimes I tell my clients to write "tell a friend" on the back. It's statistically proven that humans have a harder time pitching something that has physical writing on it.

Encourage your customers to refer you. Tell them that you have a referral system that if they refer someone who signs a contract, you give them $200.Yes seems steep, but the idea is to get hundreds of virtual salesmen.

Facebook pages, Create a facebook page, offer "facebook only" specials. This gets them to like your page to receive the special.

Eh, I should stop now...

Good luck to you, great start indeed.

PS: Vistaprint is good because it's cheap, however IF you are ever looking for higher quality and willing to pay a little extra for prints I recommend http://www.4by6.com/

You can order a free sampler here: http://www.4by6.com/samples

(note: I am NOT affiliated in any way, I just use them a lot with many of my clients)

Steve
03-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Eh, I should stop now...

Why stop now? We'd love to hear more of your thoughts!

Facebook pages, Create a facebook page, offer "facebook only" specials. This gets them to like your page to receive the special.

What is the benefit of someone liking your facebook page? What does that do for you?

Chaz
03-07-2012, 10:25 PM
100 lawn signs look great. where did you get them and if you don't mind how much did they cost?
BTW your site looks good but "why choose us" "about me" I and we, I would pick one, flipping around from I and we is hard to follow

The signs i got from an online site based in florida. it was $3 per sign, 1 color 1 side, included free design, stand and shipping. it was printed day of order and made it here in 2 days. (excellent company)

I was bouncing around with this myself, you should see my business plan.... lol i changed it. i guess my flaw is when i think of a business i think of it more of a plural but i am a one man show, sometimes but i did change it, thanks for input!

Chaz
03-07-2012, 10:28 PM
TIP: When handing out business cards, ALWAYS give in sets of 2 or more. One for them, one for a friend. TELL them to refer you.

Sometimes I tell my clients to write "tell a friend" on the back. It's statistically proven that humans have a harder time pitching something that has physical writing on it.

Encourage your customers to refer you. Tell them that you have a referral system that if they refer someone who signs a contract, you give them $200.Yes seems steep, but the idea is to get hundreds of virtual salesmen.

Eh, I should stop now...

Good luck to you, great start indeed.

PS: Vistaprint is good because it's cheap, however IF you are ever looking for higher quality and willing to pay a little extra for prints I recommend http://www.4by6.com/

You can order a free sampler here: http://www.4by6.com/samples

(note: I am NOT affiliated in any way, I just use them a lot with many of my clients)

yeah i have 5,000 of them so i do plan to hand out in multiples, however writing something on back is difficult because i have the services i offer listed on the back.

ALSO a secret with vista print, 5k business cards and 500 magnets were like 184 + 43 shipping, i called and simply asked for a discount, they took 50% off without any hassle, i was like hell yeah that saved me like $80 for a 4 minute phone call

Steve
03-08-2012, 02:40 PM
sent out my introduction letters about 3 weeks ago

How did you determine who you would send the letters out too?

brian'slawncare
03-08-2012, 04:33 PM
could you post a link to the companies you used?

Chaz
03-08-2012, 11:13 PM
could you post a link to the companies you used?

I used Vistaprint.com for the business cards.

I used this site for the signs

http://yardsignwholesale.com/YardSigns.html?PHPSESSID=152616ced2d6fab638439b9d6 0cc4d88

i pasted the link of the prices page.

the company is really great to be honest. i got the signs so damn fast.

Chaz
03-08-2012, 11:17 PM
How did you determine who you would send the letters out too?

I drove around with my girlfriend, and she jotted down the addresses of the houses, if i didn't think they could afford, or would be interested in my business we didn't write their address down.
Essentially, I get to choose my customers. lets say with a news paper ad that covers a large region, you don't get to choose your customers.

Steve
03-09-2012, 02:29 PM
That is fantastic! Make sure when you get new calls coming in, that you ask where they initially heard of you from so you can track which of your marketing is working!

Chaz
03-09-2012, 03:28 PM
That is fantastic! Make sure when you get new calls coming in, that you ask where they initially heard of you from so you can track which of your marketing is working!

yeah i am trying to keep track of my marketing as best as i can, i have a notebook
what it keeps track of;

*Cost
*date
*website hits
*amount of material
*address list it was sent to
*all material that was included
*if something is returned i scratch the address to remove from my list
*who called (so i dont keep spamming them and focus on upselling them)

also have a spreadsheet to keep track of my website hits alone. If i put signs up or hand out a lot of business cards ill write it down along with hits of site and date

ALSO something REALLY cool i found out today with my business cards

If i spread them out the look like a sunflower, it REALLY stands out on the bulleton board, i have attached a picture

they stand out from other cards because they are black while almost every other card is white

Steve
03-12-2012, 01:08 PM
ALSO something REALLY cool i found out today with my business cards

That is cool.

I wonder, would it be worthwhile to have different web domains for your different marketing methods so you could really track which domain is hit?

abbot
03-12-2012, 11:16 PM
That is cool.

I wonder, would it be worthwhile to have different web domains for your different marketing methods so you could really track which domain is hit?

Yup, your absolutely right. Domain with redirect to main site ;)

Steve
03-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Yup, your absolutely right. Domain with redirect to main site

What size business do you recommend doing this? DO they have to be a certain size or no?

abbot
03-13-2012, 11:08 PM
What size business do you recommend doing this? DO they have to be a certain size or no?

Any size business will work. The idea is just to use it as a testing method. That way you can see what is working well. Then you know what marketing strategy to upscale.