PDA

View Full Version : Surprise inspection by the Dept. of Agriculture

mark123
03-06-2012, 05:17 PM
I got a knock on the door today for an inspection of my fertilizer and pesticide records. The lady was really nice. If I had everything in a spreadsheet it would have taken a few minutes but instead I had to flip through all my paperwork for the past three years.

I guess I made one mistake but I was able to fix it on the spot and was allowed to pass the inspection. I specifically asked if the brand name was required on the records if the EPA Reg. # was there and I was told "no" in the past but I guess that was incorrect. All I had to do was include the brand name in my records and all was well.

I'm transferring all my records to a single spreadsheet now just in case I get inspected in the future.

The nice lady did say I had the best records she'd seen in a while which surprised me because I thought everyone kept such records. Guess not.

Steve
03-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Very interesting! When they do these inspections, what happens if you aren't home and someone else is? Do they still want to do the inspection or will they come back?

I wonder how important it is to keep these records handy so anyone in the household can present them.

mark123
03-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Very interesting! When they do these inspections, what happens if you aren't home and someone else is? Do they still want to do the inspection or will they come back?

I wonder how important it is to keep these records handy so anyone in the household can present them.

I imagine they'd come back or just go to the next guy on the list. No one else will present my records.

TiedemanLLC
03-07-2012, 11:31 PM
I got a knock on the door today for an inspection of my fertilizer and pesticide records. The lady was really nice. If I had everything in a spreadsheet it would have taken a few minutes but instead I had to flip through all my paperwork for the past three years.

I guess I made one mistake but I was able to fix it on the spot and was allowed to pass the inspection. I specifically asked if the brand name was required on the records if the EPA Reg. # was there and I was told "no" in the past but I guess that was incorrect. All I had to do was include the brand name in my records and all was well.

I'm transferring all my records to a single spreadsheet now just in case I get inspected in the future.

The nice lady did say I had the best records she'd seen in a while which surprised me because I thought everyone kept such records. Guess not.

That's interesting about including the brand name. How long do you guys have to store records for there? It's one year general use, and three year restricted here in Michigan.

mark123
03-08-2012, 09:38 AM
That's interesting about including the brand name. How long do you guys have to store records for there? It's one year general use, and three year restricted here in Michigan.

Three years.

TiedemanLLC
03-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Three years.

Were they more concerned with your records then your storage/mixing site?

mark123
03-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Were they more concerned with your records then your storage/mixing site?
I think they were just getting antsy and wanted something to do that day. There were some changes to record keeping over the past few years so maybe they are just getting out there and connecting with local businesses.

Steve
03-08-2012, 04:05 PM
For those that may not be keeping accurate records, what are the downsides to it? What could possibly happen if these inspectors aren't satisfied with what they find?

TiedemanLLC
03-08-2012, 04:36 PM
For those that may not be keeping accurate records, what are the downsides to it? What could possibly happen if these inspectors aren't satisfied with what they find?

I am curious what marks Dept of Agri fines are.

I know here in Michigan you can get up to 30 days in jail, and around $1,000 for each offense. That is of course if you knowingly did something bad.

Steve
03-09-2012, 02:56 PM
I know here in Michigan you can get up to 30 days in jail, and around $1,000 for each offense. That is of course if you knowingly did something bad.

Have you ever seen that happen to anyone?

I know walmart has had some fertilizer leaking into sewer issues in the past and I have a feeling if this were to happen at a small business location, they would probably have you shut down.

TiedemanLLC
03-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Have you ever seen that happen to anyone?

I know walmart has had some fertilizer leaking into sewer issues in the past and I have a feeling if this were to happen at a small business location, they would probably have you shut down.

I have heard a couple years ago TruGreen got fined a lot in the Michigan. I almost think they were targeted on purpose.

In regards to pesticide storage, I know that once you go above a certain amount you have to follow SARA Title III storage rules.

dpld
03-10-2012, 09:07 AM

not keeping up to date detailed records only leads to fines, possible license loss and a sure fire way to get on the inspectors list next year and the years following.

the way they have it set up it just boils down to pain and anguish no matter what they get you for and the punishment is just seperate degrees of hell.

fines definitly suck, losing your license will most definitly suck and getting audited every year sucks as well and the only way to avoid it is following the law and keeping a tight book on all your information.
and always remember it is better to have too much information then not enough.

dpld
03-10-2012, 09:13 AM
I have heard a couple years ago TruGreen got fined a lot in the Michigan. I almost think they were targeted on purpose.

In regards to pesticide storage, I know that once you go above a certain amount you have to follow SARA Title III storage rules.

in my state they been cracking down on fert use due to the phosphoros due to it causing algae blooms in the lakes and ponds but since the oklahoma city bombing and the first world trade center bombing fert has been highly monitored in my state.
being fert and diesel fuel combined with a detonation device can make for a highly explosive home made bomb.