PDA

View Full Version : Spring is around the corner

CHEESE2009
03-05-2012, 12:25 PM
1. What's everyone up to, how are you getting prepared, what's left to do?

I have been going crazy with preparations on my mind, yet everyone I know just says, "Buddy, you work best when everything is done last minute".

2. Any changes you are going to make to the operation of your company this year?

3. How many of you are starting your first year with lawn maintenance? How are you feeling about it?

JP Landscaping
03-05-2012, 10:04 PM
I started advertising on craigslist this past weekend and got two hits. I did the estimates today and do the jobs tomorrow. Small jobs: 1 front yard clean up and the other 2 small retaining walls.

I'm not yet prepared for the season. I haven't done anything to prepare my equipment yet as we usually start the 1st week of April not March.

But I need to change oil in my mowers/equipment, put new brake pads on one of my trailers and build sides for the other one along with building a gate for it, buy a few tools (saws, hammers), and get my trailers and truck DOT approved.

I want to add a manager or someone to take over the landscaping part of my business so I can focus on the lawn care side and on growing the company. I will of course macro manage the whole business.

That's about it for me.

Hedgemaster
03-05-2012, 10:59 PM
I looked at mowers I cant afford today. :(

mark123
03-05-2012, 11:05 PM
I looked at mowers I cant afford today. :(

No, no, no. You've got it all wrong. You looked at mowers you have to figure out how to afford.

Johnny_boy02
03-05-2012, 11:13 PM
I never stopped working. And spring is here already, the next couple months are going to blow with super tall grass.

All of my equipment is fine, I do the basic maintenance, like blade changes, oil, air cleaners. Anything thing more advanced I drop it at the shop so over the last month I have been slowly cycling my stuff through the shop for tune ups.

I dropped all of my residential customers except for 1 crazy old lady I feel bad for. And I am doing only foreclosure/ bank work. $0 advertising cost and I am busy, have not had a day off in like 12 or so days, maybe Wednesday....

My truck has a inch of dirt on the floorboard, my trailer is growing grass in the cracks between planks, and I could grow flowers on my garage floor. I need a couple days to relax and wash everything.

Oh and I still need to do my taxes.

Hedgemaster
03-05-2012, 11:20 PM
No, no, no. You've got it all wrong. You looked at mowers you have to figure out how to afford.

Oh, I figured it out alright. Wait until next spring.

Ferris 36" Hydro walk behind $4999.
Found a dealer. Compared to the Toros I have seen, I was drooling on this thing in the showroom.

JeffK26
03-05-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm ready to get going on my first year mowing.

I have 10 mowing accounts, and I'm nervous, but more because of going out on my own. I've always worked for someone else it's nerve racking taking that plunge.

CHEESE2009
03-06-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm ready to get going on my first year mowing.

I have 10 mowing accounts, and I'm nervous, but more because of going out on my own. I've always worked for someone else it's nerve racking taking that plunge.

Well if you ever need someone to talk to, I'll be here!

You'll gain a lot of confidence with time. I find the more you understand your own company, the easier it is to talk to your clients and get into the flow of things.

The best thing you can do, is learn to say "no". When I first started out, I didn't want to break any hearts, but accepting every request that was thrown at me made me pretty miserable.

Always remember that you are the captain of your ship! :D

jonathan thomas
03-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Scott you answered that perfectly. I think we all did that at first just saying yes to everything.

willshome
03-06-2012, 03:14 PM
"NO" is not what you need to say "that cost $xx.xx to add that" is what you need to say, if you don't like doing that work charge more for it. add-ons can make or brake you.

jonathan thomas
03-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Well that is true to a certain point.. I stay pretty busy throughout the year and when you already have more than enough work to handle you don't want to say yes and leave the customer waiting for it to be performed. That gives you a bad name. If they are OK with going on a waiting list then I give them that option.

Ducke
03-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Scott
I am just like you I have everything ready to go
Mowers checked and rechecked Rake, Garbage can , Garbage bags.
Gas oil spare parts maps customers 10 so far and I just started my advertizing this week on line, I hope in two to three weeks to start the fliers. I really want to get 10 more people signed up that would give me a full schedule for 2012.
Now if I could only get rid of this friggin snow.