PDA

View Full Version : Buying an exsisting business

LuckyClover
03-04-2012, 09:39 AM
I recently took over my Uncle’s lawn care business. He has regular 40 customers, but there was no structure in his scheduling, invoicing, expenses, etc. In fact it was mainly a cash business that he did for fun, with customers he had for years. I am looking for help and advice on how to handle this transition. I work for him when he needs help with Spring/Fall cleanup, big jobs or skilled jobs, but not for the lawn care. I know most of his customers and will still have my uncle around to help with the transfer.

We plan on going to each customer personally to explain the transfer and discuss the upcoming season, but I would also like to send out a letter to them explaining the transfer and a list of services I can provide which is much more extensive than what he previously offered. Is there a letter out there for this?

I would like to make this transition as seamless as possible without losing any customers. I’m afraid that since they never have had any consistent scheduling, invoicing, etc they might be turned off by the formalness of it all. Any information, help, or advice will be greatly appreciated.

willshome
03-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Can you make it like your working with he and your just taking on more and more of the work?

Upscale2
03-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Is he giving it to you? If so, then you don't have much to worry about. Just send a card and visit with them. Some will stay some will go. If you are competitive and you do good work you should be all right.

If he is selling it to you, how did you come up with a purchase price if nothing is "on the books". Don't guess, don't waste your money. He may be related but that is when feelings can be hurt.

Just calling it as I see it.

LuckyClover
03-04-2012, 10:48 AM
He will still be around, but he would like to get out of it as much as possible, He's been at it in some form for 35 years, he has had enough. He did sell it to me, but for only $2000 including most equipment. I can't complain about the price, He's a great man, just looking to help his nephew out. He wouldn't have sold it to anyone else, he knows I was going to start a home Improvement business and figured it would help me out having a list of +35customers to pull from already. Any ideas on a logo for Lucky Clover Lawn Care? I want a 4 leaf Clover to be in the logo some how.

willshome
03-04-2012, 10:32 PM
I like the clover and it will be easy to get embroidered, most places already have it in there design offered

Sea Lancer
03-05-2012, 10:16 AM
I would rather talk in person,that would give the customers a chance to ask questions and/or request any changes they may want.It also gives them the opportunity to meet you and get to know you a bit.They may also have other work for you that you may miss out on if several weeks or months go by since reading a letter you send them.I kind of like old school of meet and greet i think it would go further for you.....

Steve
03-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Is there a letter out there for this?

I think there may be a lawn care customer transition letter (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7209) in the link provided. Look through there and see if there is anything you could use.