PDA

View Full Version : Landscape beds

Shark1611
03-04-2012, 12:39 AM
I have a hard time doing searching for subjects on this forum so I end up posting questions that are already on the forum.

I am looking for guidelines on how to bid for planting shrubs, trees, etc. Do most mark up a shrub, tree, mulch, rock, etc. plus add the labor?

Also trimming shrubs, trees etc. I just look at it by the hour and my overhead and come up with a figure.

EXAMPLE: I bought two oak trees that cost me $124.00 each. Then went and planted them for the customer. Got my dart board out and gave it a shot and one the bid but man who knows where I am. Looked at my gas, loading, unloading, materials, labor, time, and planted the two for $350.00 plus tax. Job was 5 minutes from plant farm and soil was very easy to dig.

Folks around here in the business sure not going to say anything about charges so you just wing it. Sure dont like doing it that way.

Some jobs I have had to deal with folks who have mulch and all they want me to do is put it down for them. I guess it is just a dart board as far as coming up with a price.

I have been winning a number of bed jobs so now I think I might be low balling and have no idea I am. Or maybe it is they like the job I do.

Steve
03-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Take a look at my blog. It has a lot of articles on estimating mulch bed (http://lawnchat.com/category/services-to-offer/mulch-jobs) jobs.

See if that helps and then try searching for other things on there as you go.

EXAMPLE: I bought two oak trees that cost me $124.00 each. Then went and planted them for the customer. Got my dart board out and gave it a shot and one the bid but man who knows where I am. Looked at my gas, loading, unloading, materials, labor, time, and planted the two for $350.00 plus tax. Job was 5 minutes from plant farm and soil was very easy to dig.

Were you able to figure out if you profited on the job based on your estimate price?

Shark1611
03-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Take a look at my blog. It has a lot of articles on estimating mulch bed (http://lawnchat.com/category/services-to-offer/mulch-jobs) jobs.

See if that helps and then try searching for other things on there as you go.

Were you able to figure out if you profited on the job based on your estimate price?

Yes I did. I have been told that there is more money in bed work. Well.... How much is more? :) these topics don't do well on here cuz I don't think many do much but mow, trim, and blow. Thanks Steve.

Johnny_boy02
03-06-2012, 12:25 AM
I bid/ estimate everything labor + expenses, so I wont mark up the trees but I will be paid for time spent getting them and bringing them to the property. But I know how fast or slow I work, so this method works for me.

Steve
03-06-2012, 04:34 PM
I have been told that there is more money in bed work. Well.... How much is more?

I haven't seen this discussed much but it would be my feeling if you have a current lawn care customer that wants mulch bed work or other upsells, they will probably be more likely to pay a premium to you to do the work as you already have a relationship.

You might not be able to charge as much to a newer customer because they may get multiple bids from multiple lawn care business owners to see who can do the job for the cheapest or at least within their budget range.

Any thoughts on that?

Shark1611
03-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Well then it sounds like I'm doing the right thing here. Thanks guys!