PDA

View Full Version : New Guy ready to learn

GreenRidge Lawn&Landscape
02-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Hello,

I came across this site the other day and was impressed! I've learned quite a bit already and need to learn a lot more.

I'm new to the business side of this type of work. I have 10 years experience, 7 years was for somebody else. When i started on my own i bought a brand new Country Clipper for $7,000 and all new hand held equipment. I also bought an existing route off of another lawn care company that i am friends with. It got me started and helped pay the bills while i still held down a part time job. this will be my third year now and i am starting to advertise quite a bit now.

Like i said i know how to do the work but i am finding it difficult to bid and make money. knowing your cost is something i didn't understand completely, which i have already learned a lot about here on this forum.

Lawn Cop
03-01-2012, 08:50 AM
From one new guy to another Welcome! I agree learning the administrative side of the business is harder that just doing the work. I guess that is what separates an owner from a worker. Hang in there it will come in time.

willshome
03-01-2012, 09:21 AM
So knowing what you know now what do you think is your cost per hour?
Do you think you can cover that and make a good living?
Are you estimating the right amount of hours for the job?

GreenRidge Lawn&Landscape
03-02-2012, 11:47 AM
I have not had the time just yet to figure that. I hope to get that done soon

I'm in a low wage area where most jobs are payin $8 an hour . Even though i am a company it seems like the general public almost expect me to charge that too. I went to trim some shrubs for a lady and she almost killed over that i was charging her $25 an hour (which is actually too cheap even at that).

Steve
03-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Welcome to our forum!

Like i said i know how to do the work but i am finding it difficult to bid and make money. knowing your cost is something i didn't understand completely, which i have already learned a lot about here on this forum.

What lessons do you feel stood out so far to you and how will they change the way you bid?