PDA

View Full Version : Spring Cleaning on Truck

element009
02-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Hey guys,

What a terribly boring, non-lucrative winter it has been here in NJ :-( . One snow storm the whole time. My beautiful plow is still sitting under a tarp. Well, I took it out for a few days when it was about 50 degrees in January and ground out all the bad rust spots out, primed and painted it. It looks beautiful, but didn't make me a dime all winter. I'm hoping for one freak snow storm before March is over.

On a more happy note, I've been working on my truck since I got it last January. I did a lot of welding on the EZ-dump and painted it, replaced the rusted out doors with new ones, did some minor body work around the wheel wells, replaced the rear lenses, and finally..........took the thing to maaco and gave it a fresh coat of paint. This year I'll feel much more comfortable when I park my truck in front of a potential client's home or business.

willshome
02-28-2012, 09:37 PM
I painted my plow in Dec. looks great for $10 and it's an old plow. 50% of the plows around here are rusting out and look like trash.

we need pic's of your truck

element009
02-28-2012, 10:49 PM
I think the pic is attached to the first post. Let me know if it's not

DJSOUTDOORSERVICES
02-28-2012, 10:51 PM
how much was the maaco paint job and how long did they have your truck for?

element009
02-28-2012, 11:11 PM
$1000, 6 days(4 if you didn't count the weekend)

bruces
02-28-2012, 11:35 PM
is that a big dent behind the door or a bad picture ?

element009
02-29-2012, 07:22 AM
yes it's a dent

Steve
02-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Your truck looks fantastic! Great job on it!

This year I'll feel much more comfortable when I park my truck in front of a potential client's home or business.

Do you think the way your truck used to look, effected your ability to make sales? Or was it more that you just didn't feel it looked the way you wanted the image of your business to look?

element009
02-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Do you think the way your truck used to look, effected your ability to make sales? Or was it more that you just didn't feel it looked the way you wanted the image of your business to look?

I would say both. I think the image/presentation of your business will certainly affect your ability to sell your product/service, regardless of what it is. I can't point to any particular proposals that I lost solely because of how beat up my truck looked, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a factor in some of those situations. I think the way you dress, grooming, hygiene, and quality/cleanliness of equipment and trucks can leave an important first impression on people. It may be the only indication they have regarding how neat your work will be.

btw, here's a screen shot, which i should've included in the first post:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/432324_10102364825941744_9331311_90103454_18018662 03_n.jpg

willshome
02-29-2012, 10:10 PM
WOW that helped, money well spent I think you will get more calls looking clean. They must have had to do a lot of prep with all that pealing paint.

element009
03-01-2012, 02:12 PM
They must have had to do a lot of prep with all that pealing paint.

Yeah tell me about it. It was tough going through last year with a truck like that, but I've still avoided taking out a loan to finance the business, which I promised myself I wouldn't do until the business is stable enough. So it was worth the wait.

Steve
03-01-2012, 03:52 PM
It is very fascinating how the way a truck looks can effect you mentally and potentially come out in the way you present yourself physically.

The more confident you feel, I bet the more sales you make while the opposite might be true as well. Where if you show up to a job in a beater truck, it can effect the way you carry yourself and effect the customers view of you.

Very interesting!