PDA

View Full Version : When would you consider selling out?

Fisher
02-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Surprised that I had missed this article ( http://www.powerequipmenttrade.com/servicemaster-sells-trugreen-to-aurora-affiliate/ ) last year, it got me to wondering at what point would I consider selling out. How big would you like to grow and at what point would you consider selling?

CHEESE2009
02-29-2012, 05:48 AM
$1,000,000.00

That's my sell out price.

element009
02-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Dr. Evil, don't you think we should ask for more than a million dollars? I mean, a million dollars isn't exactly a lot of money these days. Virtucon alone makes over nine billion dollars a year.

Steve
02-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Dr. Evil, don't you think we should ask for more than a million dollars? I mean, a million dollars isn't exactly a lot of money these days. Virtucon alone makes over nine billion dollars a year.

LOL that was good.

The deal has Aurora buying ServiceMaster’s landscape division for $38 million—a fraction of the $250 million ServiceMaster paid for it in 1999.

You know what is fascinating about this is that we have discussed this company in the past. There were many issues that came up about it. A big one was how their entire business model seemed to focus on performing the job as fast as possible, then bill for extra services that were never done.

I did wonder what the down side to all that was and now we see it. Look at the price drop in the value of that business. HOLY CRAP did it drop!

But beyond that, you asked when would you consider selling out. The thing I wonder is, how much of the decision would be about a dollar figure and how much of it would be that you just get too tired to do the work? It seems that the percentage of those who run a lawn care business their entire lives and then sell it is a small percentage.

I would guess more often than not, you will see as a business owner tires of the business, he/she turns their attention elsewhere and the business slowly grinds to a halt.

Anyone else have any thoughts on all that?