PDA

View Full Version : Answering Service

daverz
02-24-2012, 01:23 AM
I need some help on the phones this spring, but can't seem to find any real reviews on answering services for our industry. Is anyone using a service that has had a good experience? Thanks for the help.

CHEESE2009
02-24-2012, 08:19 AM
I need some help on the phones this spring, but can't seem to find any real reviews on answering services for our industry. Is anyone using a service that has had a good experience? Thanks for the help.

Similar to that of a receptionist?

Good post, I'll be keeping my eye on this.

dpld
02-24-2012, 10:41 AM
a lot of doctors and other businesses use answering services and it does have it's place and i tried one in the past but i found that they really can not provide any answers to your customers other then convey the message and most of the time when a customer is calling their landscaper they are in need of answers.

with that said, it really did not work out any better for me then a answering machine.
and as far as annoying customers that call you all the time the only thing a answering service is going to change is instead of being annoyed by the said customer you will just be haunted by the service instead.

they can be a usefull tool but i guess it just boils down to what your needs are but they do cost money and outside of the initial cost the machine does not.
the only other answer would be to hire a secretary but that can be costly too, but once again it really depends on your business and how much call volume you have and how much work you are doing.

i hate the phones as much as the next but in reality the best choice in the end is to suck it up and deal with the customers yourself because in the end you are who they want to speak to.

Steve
02-24-2012, 04:41 PM
but i found that they really can not provide any answers to your customers other then convey the message and most of the time when a customer is calling their landscaper they are in need of answers.

Do you think they are helpful in acquiring new customers? So if a new customer calls and they get a human, they won't just keep going down a list in their phone book to find someone that will answer their phone? Would such a benefit justify using such a service or would that not play a major role in help gain those new callers and turning them into customers?

dpld
02-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Do you think they are helpful in acquiring new customers? So if a new customer calls and they get a human, they won't just keep going down a list in their phone book to find someone that will answer their phone? Would such a benefit justify using such a service or would that not play a major role in help gain those new callers and turning them into customers?

i really don't know the answer for that other then the answering service is not going to be able to give the customers much info due to your company will not be the only one they answer calls for and they really are not trained to give that info out.

something tells me in this day and age that the people shopping around are going to go down that list anyway until they get the deal they are looking for.

daverz
02-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks for all the input. I know I'm missing calls and need some some help on the phones. I think a lot of people don't leave a message for the opportunity to get back to them. I can't afford a receptionist to answer phones, so I was hoping someone else had used an answering service and could refer me. In researching, theres a ton of them out there.

jymie
02-25-2012, 03:40 PM
I have all of my calls forwarded to my cell phone which has caller ID. If I miss a call while I am mowing a lawn, I look at my phone between each property, if I missed a call, then I return the call. Use *72 to forward to your cell phone.

Pick up the phone receiver and listen for a dial tone.

Dial #72 or *72 to activate your call forwarding. For old rotary phones you will need to dial 1172 to activate your call forwarding.

Dial the number you're forwarding the call to. After dialing #72 or *72, immediately dial the ten digit number where you want the call sent. Example: #72 + (123) 456-7890

Answer the forwarded call to confirm that call forwarding is in effect. If you're unable to answer the call because you're forwarding it to a land line rather than your cell phone, just repeat Steps 1 through 3 and wait for a confirmation tone to be sure that your call forwarding has taken effect.

Deactivate call forwarding. When you've received that all-important call and no longer need the call forwarding feature activated, turning it off is simple. From your home phone line dial #73 or *73. For old rotary phones you will need to dial 1173. Wait for the confirmation tone and once you've heard it, hang up. Your call forwarding has been deactivated.

dpld
02-25-2012, 06:28 PM
I have all of my calls forwarded to my cell phone which has caller ID. If I miss a call while I am mowing a lawn, I look at my phone between each property, if I missed a call, then I return the call. Use *72 to forward to your cell phone.

Dial #72 or *72 to activate your call forwarding. For old rotary phones you will need to dial 1172 to activate your call forwarding.

Dial the number you're forwarding the call to. After dialing #72 or *72, immediately dial the ten digit number where you want the call sent. Example: #72 + (123) 456-7890

Answer the forwarded call to confirm that call forwarding is in effect. If you're unable to answer the call because you're forwarding it to a land line rather than your cell phone, just repeat Steps 1 through 3 and wait for a confirmation tone to be sure that your call forwarding has taken effect.

Deactivate call forwarding. When you've received that all-important call and no longer need the call forwarding feature activated, turning it off is simple. From your home phone line dial #73 or *73. For old rotary phones you will need to dial 1173. Wait for the confirmation tone and once you've heard it, hang up. Your call forwarding has been deactivated.

that is what i would do and it not only is the cheapest option it leads the potential customers directly to the person they need to speak to.

problem solved.

brian'slawncare
02-26-2012, 10:03 AM

does this cost anything?

jymie
02-27-2012, 07:35 AM
does this cost anything?

No, its free.