PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Season!! Lets Eliminate These Low Ballers Killing Our Trade

MasterEdgeLawnCare
02-22-2012, 03:42 AM
Hey Everyone, I've Been In Business For Myself For Going On 5 years Now And I've Been Through Alot. Before I Opened My Own Business I Worked For An Older Guy Named "Hal". Hal Was About 65 But He Took Me In And Taught Me Everything From The Labor To The Business, All I Can Say Is He Was Right. Yes I'm Still Learning Day by Day But Some Of The Main Things I Can Say Are;
LABOR
1.) Make Sure You Know How To Trim & Edge So You Start At The Truck & End At The Truck. I Usually Have My Helper Edge First So I Can Cut Around The House & Whatever Else There Maybe. Saves Alot Of Time And My Helper Knows Exactly What He Has To Trim. Than I Cut The Front First ( Different Angle Every Week ) So While I'm Cutting The Back he Can Be Blowing The Front Clean And We Finish At The Same Time.

2.) I Bid Every Job So I Can Make Money & Do A Beauitful Job. Word Of Mouth Is Like A Forest Fire SPREADS !!!!!!

3.) There's People In My Neighborhood Bidding House's At $10.00-$14.00, After I Bid It At $25.00 & Up. In My Experiance Those Guy's Are Out Of Business Just As Fast As They Opened. Plus Some Customers ONLY WANT IT CUT AND COULD GIVE A **** LESS IF IT LOOKS GOOD.

4.) Hal Put Out Flyers I Think Once In 8 Years And They Said, Lawn Care & All Other Landscaping Services Available & His #. Yes It Worked, **** i Was Suprised Big Time

Thanks Everyone GopherHaul Is Great & Perfect For All Of Us Real Landscapers Dedicated To A Great Job! Like I Said I'm Still Learning And Accept Any Feedback:cool:

Steve
02-22-2012, 03:03 PM
There's People In My Neighborhood Bidding House's At $10.00-$14.00, After I Bid It At $25.00 & Up. In My Experiance Those Guy's Are Out Of Business Just As Fast As They Opened. Plus Some Customers ONLY WANT IT CUT AND COULD GIVE A **** LESS IF IT LOOKS GOOD.

Whats your view on how to compete against such situations? What should you do when others come in and try to undercut your bid or when customers don't care what the job looks like?

(Also you dont have to capitalize each word, just capitalize the first letter of the first word in each sentence. It makes it easier to read that way)

stevef1201
02-22-2012, 05:08 PM
I have people undercutting my bids all the time. when somebody says " I got some one cheaper", i tell them 'great, when you decide that they are not dong agood job call me. my estimate will be good'. Have had several call me a month later and ask me to come take care of thier lawn.

Word of mouth has gotten me 25 percent of my business-you cannot beat it. Remember it only takes one dissatisfied customer to kill you.

turfmaster
02-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Hey Everyone, I've Been In Business For Myself For Going On 5 years Now And I've Been Through Alot. Before I Opened My Own Business

2.) I Bid Every Job So I Can Make Money & Do A Beauitful Job. Word Of Mouth Is Like A Forest Fire SPREADS !!!!!!

Thanks Everyone GopherHaul Is Great & Perfect For All Of Us Real Landscapers Dedicated To A Great Job! Like I Said I'm Still Learning And Accept Any Feedback:cool:

I got into this biz around the time you were born. I will tell you this. Low ballers have been around forever. There may be more around the last few years because of high unemployment but they will always be around this business.

The best advice the old timer gave you was to bid every job to make money and do great work and then everything else will fall into place.....

dpld
02-23-2012, 03:35 PM
you will have better luck finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow then eliminating the low ballers.

the only thing you can do to help minimize it is point out to the consumers to check for insurance as well as if they have employees make sure they use the E-Verify system.

CHEESE2009
02-23-2012, 04:05 PM
you will have better luck finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow then eliminating the low ballers.

It's true.

I just found it!

http://www.dreamstime.com/pot-of-gold-with-rainbow-on-white-backdrop-thumb17602987.jpg

Had to kill a leprechaun and it's sister to get to it.

Steve
02-24-2012, 02:38 PM

What's your view on why some business owners tend to feel there is a time frame that low ballers will burn themselves out by and be gone for good?

turfmaster
02-25-2012, 03:27 PM
What's your view on why some business owners tend to feel there is a time frame that low ballers will burn themselves out by and be gone for good?

Usually when they figure out the true cost of running a biz legit costs a lot more than what they are charging. Also the expense of good commercial equipment is the only way to be competitive. Are they willing to make the investment ? Lastly when they get called back to their old job or find a new one they realize it's easier to punch a time clock for someone else than to run a lawn care business.

yourscape
02-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Usually when they figure out the true cost of running a biz legit costs a lot more than what they are charging. Also the expense of good commercial equipment is the only way to be competitive. Are they willing to make the investment ? Lastly when they get called back to their old job or find a new one they realize it's easier to punch a time clock for someone else than to run a lawn care business.

As far as being legit most customers do understand that they are cheap for a reason until something happens. I actually advertize on my trailer that I am insured for your protection. I am working on a bigger decal to place on my trailer with the same idea. Customers require education and it is our jobs as professionals to do that not the fly by night low-ballers just trying to make a quick buck.

Steve
02-27-2012, 01:09 PM
I actually advertize on my trailer that I am insured for your protection.

Does that ever get any reaction from your customers?