PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting lettering on my truck!

IVPropertyMaintenance
02-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Ok so this year I've decided to ditch the magnet attached to my truck. It's scratched, faded, and I've even seen another truck with the same generic sign (different company name and number of course). Anyways, This means if I'm going to say bye bye to the generic vistaprint get-up, I'm going to need to cough up the dough and pay to get a new custom logo and vinyl lettering on the truck.

What I need to know is what I need to look for when paying for files of my logo. If i'm planning on sending a file to the vinyl decal printers, what format do they typically require? I know most of them need more than just a jpeg. Also, what formats would I need if I wanted to have a company print my logo on shirts? Pretty much just need the run down on this...

Also, I need to know a good place that makes it nice and easy to print out the vinyl decals with my logo. I've found a few places but they make me nervous that they aren't going to give me the product I am looking for. I just want my logo with my number under it. What i am picturing is something that comes on a sheet, you push it against your truck, peel back the sheet and there you have it...

Please point me in the right direction. Thanks!:D

Hedgemaster
02-21-2012, 06:01 PM
What do you mean by "paying for files of your logo"?

Do you have a logo designed or not?
If you do, you shouldn't have to pay for a copy of it.

If you have a logo done properly, it will be saved as an EPS file (in a vector format) which means that no matter what size you want to make it, the logo will print/display properly, and not "blurry" or pixelated the way a low resolution JPG image would be.

Most any sign maker will be able to tell you what types of files they accept.

I don't have any suggestions for a "do it yourself" application, although many online sources offer that option.
I'm going to a local sign shop and having them apply it. A simple design can be applied yourself without much risk, but mine may be a bit more complex, and I'd rather have THEM pay to reprint it if they screw up the application. ;)

CanadayLandscaping
02-21-2012, 06:25 PM
I applied my own lettering and such to my truck, I found it was cheaper, and since mine is not complicated, it was easy. I used http://www.doityourselflettering.com just email him your logo, and tell him what size you are looking to have done. He emails back pretty quick with a price, and if you use him, he ships out even quicker! I haven't had any problems out of this guy at all. I think he's in Florida somewhere. Hope that helps

Steve
02-22-2012, 01:40 PM
What i am picturing is something that comes on a sheet, you push it against your truck, peel back the sheet and there you have it...

I would think that is how all vinyl lettering or logo applications would be shipped to you.

Keep us posted on how all this turns out.

I applied my own lettering and such to my truck, I found it was cheaper, and since mine is not complicated, it was easy

Do you have any tips on applying your own lettering? Did you get it done right the first time or was there a learning curve involved with it?