PDA

View Full Version : Commercial mowing on 3rd shift.

druda22
02-19-2012, 07:58 PM
So I have a question. I have 27 gas stations that I service. All of the stations are open 24 hours and all are located in commercial only areas. Can I cut them on 3rd shift, so That I can do residentials and fertilizing during the day? Id like to hear opinions on this. Any ideas or knowledge would also be helpful. Im just trying to make a schedule to accomodate as much work as I can, without increasing my overhead to much. Thanks

mark123
02-19-2012, 08:00 PM
When will you sleep?

bruces
02-19-2012, 08:09 PM
wouldnt that be a good question to ask the owners of the gas stations ?

jymie
02-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Most towns have ordinances in regards to noise after a certain hour. You should check into that with your town clerks office.

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Most towns have ordinances in regards to noise after a certain hour. You should check into that with your town clerks office.

I would think that but he could always go electric.

I do a commercial property in a industrial park. We were running late finishing up and it was dark at 7 p.m. A cop pulled in to ask us what was going on. I'm under the assumption if it was past 9pm we wouldve been ticketed.

druda22
02-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Thank you for the responses. I will sleep during the day. I have one truck so that will be the need for the after hours mowing. I will run full crew in the evenings, and a sigle guy 3 days a week for fertilizing, and a 2 man shift on the other two days for residentials.
Everything I have found for the cities that the stations are located in as far as ordinances go, are between the hours of 11pm and 659 am you cant exceed the volume of a normal conversation OTHER than at the point of reception. Im taking that as, if the noise from my equipment on surrounding properties does not exceed that of a normal conversation, then it shouldnt be a problem. In addition, alot of the ordinances are directed more towards residential areas and not commercial. I plan on contact each cities enforcement office to double check also.
As for the owner of the stations, they are fine with whatever is going to cause the least amount of disturbance for their customers. So with that said, 3rd shift would have the least traffic and customers.

Steve
02-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Thank you for the responses. I will sleep during the day.

I got confused on this. Why would you want to sleep during the day and mow these locations on a third shift? How would that be more productive for you?

druda22
02-20-2012, 11:29 PM
It would be more productive, because my other employees would be able to use the truck during the day to complete the fertilizing and residentials. So in theory, it would be equivilent to running two crews, just on seperate shifts. Atleast until the revenue is available to expand on the vehicles.

The stations alone take approximately 52 hours with the drive time included in that, therefore doing any additional work wouldnt be able to happen along with those.

I just picked up the stations for this coming season, in addition to the 30 residentials I already was servicing, and then there is the expansion into fertilizing, because of the high request this past season.

Steve
02-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Oh ok, I am understanding better now.

I do wonder though, if you sleep during the day to work at night, who will be managing the crews to keep tabs on them and make sure they are being productive? Is that a concern and if so, how will you deal with that?

w0283767
05-13-2012, 10:35 PM
What times do you mean by third shift? I am assuming completely dark? How would you do this, mount spotlights to mower?