PDA

View Full Version : Contracts???

TyMaC
02-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Hi I have been in the lawncare business for a while, yet never have looked in to contracts. Can anyone tell me anything about them? I am sure I am loosing out bigtime. Insurance needed? How to get contracts? How to go about pricing them? Any more information. Thank You.

CHEESE2009
02-16-2012, 08:09 PM
A contract is generally just a reference for clients to understand what they are paying you for. Often, it's also used to keep you out of trouble, and being liable for a lot of crap.

"The client understands that if I run over the cat with my mower, it aint my fault". LOL

Personally, I'm not great at writing contracts. I always end up sounding like a Nazi. Hahaha!

Ducke
02-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Scott you just gave me a idea for a new lawn care company

Lawn Nazi
"Ve Vell Scare your Lawn Straight"
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01134/nazi-gnomes_1134291c.jpg

dpld
02-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Scott you just gave me a idea for a new lawn care company

Lawn Nazi
"Ve Vell Scare your Lawn Straight"
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01134/nazi-gnomes_1134291c.jpg

that is a classic, i love it ha ha ha.

Ducke
02-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Sorry for taking this thread over,

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-srgCSMXIz5g/TZ0WHYiaaeI/AAAAAAAAAJQ/MnsBhwZcvlw/s1600/monty-python-announce.jpg

Now back to the regular schedule Programing.

"Someday we shall rise and be known then they will fear our power our darkness but until then we shall remain in the shadows"

CHEESE2009
02-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Holy crap if I find out 'Lawn Nazi' is an acceptable name and I didn't take it, I'm going to be upset. LMAO.

"Ve vill exteminate za weeds"

willshome
02-16-2012, 11:26 PM
contracts are good because if it does not rain the customer still has to get mowed or pay you a fee

Steve
02-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Hi Tymac,

Welcome to our forum!

Why not check out the lawn care contact section (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7210) here on the forum and then see if you can mix and match some of the contacts to fit for your specific needs?

wildwood
03-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Just getting started (legally) in this business part time and I'm wondering what is the best way to start the receivables? :confused:

1. On the spot...if so pre or post visit? Contract??
2 Monthly invoice to customer/contract
3. Full year lump sum/contract

Please offer your advice to this newb on how to best collect the money!

Thanks

Leon
03-02-2012, 12:29 AM
I have noticed that some people don't like to sign contract so what I do is create a customer agreement which is exactly the same as a contract just says agreement. I invoice the middle of the month on most of my customers. I call it the trust system I mow the 1st two weeks up front, then you pay me the full monthly balance. I trust that you will pay me for the work done, you trust me to finish the month out. My other customers they pay weekly.
Leon
Can You Envision the Possibilities....We Can!

Steve
03-02-2012, 03:13 PM
1. On the spot...if so pre or post visit? Contract??

Anytime you can get paid on the spot is great. If you can get paid before hand, that is even better.

The last thing you want is to have to chase down customers for payment so I would try and get paid as soon as possible.

lawn4rlife
03-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Hi Tymac,

Welcome to our forum!

Why not check out the lawn care contact section (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7210) here on the forum and then see if you can mix and match some of the contacts to fit for your specific needs?

Steve,

I was looking to run a special promotion to my repeat customers that really like my work (just for like 3 customer to try out). Please let me know your opinion on this: I am offering 2 free mows, one in March/November with advance payment of April-October.

CHEESE2009
03-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Steve,

I was looking to run a special promotion to my repeat customers that really like my work (just for like 3 customer to try out). Please let me know your opinion on this: I am offering 2 free mows, one in March/November with advance payment of April-October.

If they are repeat, don't bother offering them anything. We all learn someday that clients don't care for our generosity.

If you are going to offer free cuts, do it late in the year when it gets easier, and to be sure the client has stuck around with you for the majority of the season.

These clients of yours might switch to another company once they get those freebies out of you. Don't give them the chance.

-

There must be another way to show them how much you care about their loyalty, without lowering costs. When they are with you the following years, don't expect it to be easy to raise the price back up again.

Hedgemaster
03-04-2012, 02:56 PM
The only way you should offer something for "free" is if it's not really free.

Look at ANYTHING you buy. If you get a free offer, that freebie has been paid for many, many, many times over by profits made with a price that ALLOWS them to occasionally offer something for "free".

"FREE" is fine, if you're making a very good profit, but if you're already working for less than you think you should be, think of another way to say "thanks" that doesn't involve you giving up money.

lawn4rlife
03-05-2012, 12:58 AM
The only way you should offer something for "free" is if it's not really free.

Look at ANYTHING you buy. If you get a free offer, that freebie has been paid for many, many, many times over by profits made with a price that ALLOWS them to occasionally offer something for "free".

"FREE" is fine, if you're making a very good profit, but if you're already working for less than you think you should be, think of another way to say "thanks" that doesn't involve you giving up money.

So, i was thing of ideas to make money to get me started into my 3rd year without having any of my own money to start this season. The ideas of offer the promotion of 2 free mows, one this month and the other in November with payment in advance for 7month came to mind. I ask 4 account if they would be intrested in this promotion and it so far working for me. So far i have made $2520 on lawn that i do bi weekly at $45 a mow. Each account has also refered me to 3 account per person so i am not really losing any money. So i think it was a good choice since they take care of me! Another thing i thought was really great is that the customer is helping my business grow by offering this kind of promotion.

Hedgemaster
03-05-2012, 01:36 AM
^^^ Hey, that's GREAT if it's making you money!

My point is to not work for nothing just to be a nice guy.
Nobody should work for "free".

willshome
03-05-2012, 07:48 AM
lawn4rlife that's great is your mow season about 25 weeks if so your giving 8% off, if that means you don't have to use a 18% credit card COOL. A way of looking at it is $41.40 a mow if you spread it out.
Is Nov. fall cleanup in your area?

lawn4rlife
03-06-2012, 12:52 AM
lawn4rlife that's great is your mow season about 25 weeks if so your giving 8% off, if that means you don't have to use a 18% credit card COOL. A way of looking at it is $41.40 a mow if you spread it out.
Is Nov. fall cleanup in your area?

November begins fall clean up. I never thought that people would have given me money upfront, but because they like my work they are sold.