PDA

View Full Version : new guy

jstcs6
02-16-2012, 02:19 AM
hello i would like to say hi to everyone out there reading this i am planning on starting mowing in the spring this year and was wondering how i would go about getting my competters rate so i dont low ball i think call them but just havent desided yet any help would be much help thank you

willshome
02-16-2012, 07:05 AM
HI and welcome,
I think knowing what others are charging is good but you need to know at what level you are doing the work (can you make the lawn look great). you need to know your costs and how long a job will take.

just keep in mind spring will be here soon as you will see most of us are already doing our ads

do you a have tools yet

thegroundscrew
02-16-2012, 11:14 AM
First know your costs and what your cost is per man hour. This also constitutes your quality of work. Is it up to par with you competitors or does go below or above them?

Then... the only best way to know what competitors are charging is calling three different companies in your area and have them do a free estimate on your yard an/or parents as well. You should keep in mind what you think you would charge for the job and then wait and see what your competitors are charging.

I do this at least once a year to keep up to date on what my competitors are charging. This will definitly help you out the most.

Steve
02-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Welcome to our forum!

I agree with the importance of knowing your costs.

Keep your eye out for ads from competitors either through the mail or online and you will get an idea of what others are charging. This can be helpful, but you have to keep in mind, those that advertise prices are probably doing so because their prices are lower than the average price, so be careful.

TLC131
02-16-2012, 03:53 PM
you gotta figure out what your rate is first, when i started in my neighborhood it ended up being $20/hr and I tried to make SURE I made at least $10 an hour. When I have a worker helping the rate goes up to $40/hr. I dont know what your situation is but I started in HS and my goal was to make more than I would make at McDonalds.

The only prices i know about competitors is from my dad's company and a company my friend works at. I am just getting into commercial lawn maintenance.

jstcs6
02-17-2012, 02:50 AM
i plan to mowing resadital at first. i plan on buying a commerical lawn mower in the future. all i have for now is a push mower 22 self propeled and. a rideing mower 33. trimmer and blower i have to buy

Steve
02-17-2012, 01:52 PM
It sounds like you are doing fine. Keep us updated on how everything goes.

jstcs6
02-18-2012, 03:27 AM
today i get a call from Labor Law Compliance Institute this guy told me that i had to buy these signs from him i googled the 800 number and found a couple reports on ripoff.com i think it is a scam they want to charge me 180.00 and i can buy them for 35.00 from another website my question is do i need to have these signs any advice on this??

jymie
02-18-2012, 01:41 PM
I think if you found him on ripoff.com, then that tells you all you need to know about him. You should be able to get the signs through your state tax department or Labor Department. $180 is just ludicrous. $35 for the sign, $145 for him from unsuspecting business owners. Nice SCAM.

Check this site:

http://www.dol.gov/oasam/programs/osdbu/sbrefa/poster/matrix.htm

Steve
02-20-2012, 12:03 PM
I think this came up in the past on here. The thing I wonder is, do you need any of these signs if you are the owner/operator. I think they are for employees and I bet you could print them off your computer and be ok.

jstcs6
03-03-2012, 01:31 AM
www.speidellawncare.com i got my website up tell me how it looks

CHEESE2009
03-03-2012, 04:46 AM
www.speidellawncare.com i got my website up tell me how it looks

It's difficult to read the white font when it's placed over a light background.

Your clients don't need to know when you are starting out, it might work against you for them to realize you may not have the experience of others.

You should eliminate the left sidebar, the text in there does not look good at all.

I believe all of those credit cards below are what PayPal accepts. If you are using PayPal, why not have a PayPal button there instead of images of what cards you can accept?

If you want images of credit cards, I suggest getting some better ones that don't look so copy-pastey. Make the white background transparent and save as a .png if you can.

Other than that, I like it.

I realize you are with GoDaddy, do they offer WordPress?

Lawn Cop
03-03-2012, 08:15 AM
It looks like Cheese2009 covered it all.

jstcs6
04-08-2012, 01:28 PM
hey guys ive been looking around on the net for yard signs to put around town and some in my customers yards that will let me. has anyone used a company onling if so who where they and how was there signs was they good quality and afordable. any ideas? thanks for any help have a great day!

jymie
04-09-2012, 07:33 AM
http://www.buildasign.com/

also

http://696signs.com/

and 696signs is a member here.
http://www.gopherforum.com/member.php?u=74428