PDA

View Full Version : Interview Recording

CHEESE2009
02-15-2012, 09:02 PM
I did an interview for a class for some college.

Basically, I was just asked a bunch of questions and I had to answer on the spot... LMAO... I have never been so nervous. I wish I had a script.

Anyway, this is the unedited version, with a jingle thrown in.

LINK (http://breezelawnservice.ca/audio/Scott%20Interview.mp3)

ALSO,

Later this year sometime, I will be someones film project. Should be exciting. :D

willshome
02-16-2012, 07:44 AM
I think it was good, you sound like a real person a little burned out but a real person.

Steve
02-16-2012, 03:05 PM
What's the film project about?

I like your interview, it's pleasant :) The background music relaxes you as you listen to it. It would make for a great commercial audio track.

CHEESE2009
02-16-2012, 03:16 PM
What's the film project about?

I like your interview, it's pleasant :) The background music relaxes you as you listen to it. It would make for a great commercial audio track.

Yeah I was surprised with the music too! I don't think I will ever get the finished version, but I don't care.. I just wanna do the video!!! LMAO!!!

I'm not entirely sure what the video is supposed to be about, all I know is it has to do with me running my company. It should be scary. It might be like a documentary or something. I can just see the finished video where you can't hear anything because of a lawn mower in the background, ahhah!

"My name is rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I sta rrrrr rted... rrrrrrrrrrrrrr".

Either way, I feel special to be chosen for this project. At least now I don't have to buy thousands of dollars worth of equipment to do it myself!

-

ALSO, I noticed I can hardly pronounce "business" right... more like "Biznazzz". LOL

Steve
02-17-2012, 01:57 PM
What is fascinating to me about that interview is how much the interactions with customers has effected you. Do you think that happens to most all new business owners or do you feel you were especially troubled by interacting with them? And why so?

CHEESE2009
02-18-2012, 08:22 PM
What is fascinating to me about that interview is how much the interactions with customers has effected you. Do you think that happens to most all new business owners or do you feel you were especially troubled by interacting with them? And why so?

It probably happens to other business owners. I've never had trouble selling my services because of the way I deal with my clients, yet unfortunately I'm also stuck selling them my friendship it seems.

Sure it's nice to get along with your clients, but the ones who feel 'connected' to you always expect better deals that are difficult to decline. They think they can get away with requests other clients aren't able to, as if they have first priority.

It's always easier to tell someone off that you don't know, than someone you've let into your bubble.

-

This year I will have a problem. Why? Because of one of my clients neighbors. This neighbor has stopped me every so often to chit chat, he is very kind but eats up a lot of my time. I got a call from him to ask the measurements of my mower, so he can install a new gate into his backyard. In other words, he will be hiring me.

As nice as this sounds, I will now have to deal with him and his loneliness from retirement every week. This means I have to pretend to care and seem interested.

In theory, having all of my clients like me should make my business successful. The truth is, I have wasted a lot of time and energy talking rather than doing actual work. You will only be able to take on so much work, because you wont be able to get any other jobs done if you are constantly being interrupted throughout the day.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED
Avoid retired people, they are not for me. I have too much energy, and being stopped causes me to panic and become disorganized. Who woulda thought the people who most likely need our services can cause such an awful problem?!

I'll just point out that I will do my best to cater to the Asian community. They have caused me absolutely no problems. They pay on time, all the time. They only call to make their payments.

Great... now I have to paint a dragon on the truck or something..

Steve
02-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Scott,

Do you think this is the dirty little secret most try not to talk about because everyone pays so much lip service to the whole concept of customer service?

CHEESE2009
02-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Everything I say can be used against me at any point in time, but if I don't discuss it there will be no improvement for myself, and for those who don't speak up.

Speak of the devil. That client called asking if I am still around.
... It's been spring for the past month over here... lol

Anyway, there is no perfect company and absolutely no perfect client.
I can go through my entire list of clients and have more bad than good to say about them.

There seems to always be a negative reaction to everything that was intended to be positive. My perfect day would be to receive a clients payment, and to do the work without being interrupted, granted, I don't mind if I'm interrupted for something urgent.

I feel like i'm running a hotline for lonely elderly folks, more than running a lawn maintenance business.

I'm upset about that fact. I thought my phone would only be required to take on more clients, and to receive payments and actual complaints.

Steve
02-21-2012, 02:06 PM
How do you feel having to deal with all these phone calls has effected your view of running a business in this industry?

CHEESE2009
02-21-2012, 04:06 PM
How do you feel having to deal with all these phone calls has effected your view of running a business in this industry?

I thought customer relationships would be a walk in the park for me, but I'm actually losing my patience every single day when it comes to making small talk.

Being somewhat solo with a fairly large clientele, it's very discouraging to make progress. It's a breath of fresh air when I'm not receiving any more clients, because that to me means less phone calls to answer, it's really not a good thing as it's kind of backwards thinking.

This company really needs someone to take the fall/scapegoat, that person is unfortunately me considering I am the only owner. I need someone in 'charge' (me) who can say "NO" a lot. I just can't do it when I'm forced to visit the client every week while providing my services to them.

I suppose in time, I will find someone reliable and well trained to do the labor. I'll stick myself on the phones, but at least I don't have to stress out over how awkward it'd be to then see them in person (labor)- I wouldn't ever have to ever see them.

All the above could be avoided if I could learn to be a good guy, and a bad guy. I just can't deal with being both, and I desperately need to be the bad guy who puts his foot down without upsetting the client. I will have the guy doing the work to keep them happy.

My man on the field can say, "I don't make the rules, you have to call Scott". He will be FREE from all the complaints, and be able to be on the clients side, never hurting their feelings. lol.