PDA

View Full Version : Kmz lawn care first post on this site.

kmzlawncare
02-14-2012, 04:54 PM
I want to say hi to all the good lawn care guys on this great site. I,m going to post some pictures of my equipment and a few from some of my jobs. First some of my stuff.

kmzlawncare
02-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Here are some pictures. The truck I bought new in 1999 It is a f-350 4x4 and has 40,000 miles as of today. My trailers and my mowers one is a toro lazer z 22/62. The Dixie chopper is a 27/60.

kmzlawncare
02-14-2012, 05:39 PM
4835 This is how we change our blades. Only takes a few minutes.

willshome
02-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Wow great looking set up. PLease tell me you put a jackstand under the mower when changing blades.
how long have you been in the lawn game?

kmzlawncare
02-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Wow great looking set up. PLease tell me you put a jackstand under the mower when changing blades.
how long have you been in the lawn game?

No I have a really good strap its rated a lot higher then what the mowers weigh. I have been plowing snow since 1990 and I started my lawn care four years ago.

kmzlawncare
02-14-2012, 06:45 PM
A few job piciures.

kmzlawncare
02-14-2012, 06:53 PM
My trucks & my shop.

Steve
02-15-2012, 12:06 AM
Welcome to our forum!

You have a very nice set up.

What do you have for new lawn care start up business owners to help them make it through the first couple of years?

Any tips or lessons you have learned over the years that you can share?

kmzlawncare
02-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Well when we first got started we went around to a lot of businesses in our area to see if we could give them a price on there lawn maintenance almost every one we went to was interested in a price. When you first get started I know you won't No all the prices so don't price them to high try to be fair and also If you are really cheap they may through out your bid or you my get stuck doing a job that you are loosing money on. What we did was call a lawn care in a different town to get some Idea on what they we charging You may have to call a few to get somebody that will help. Once you get some jobs do your very best work don't cut corners. Remember you are making a name for yourself. If you do good work at every job it will lead to getting more work. Your customers will refer you to other to more potential customers. Also if you have other skills let your customers no that way you will get more jobs from customers you already have. For example I have been a union Bricklayer, cement mason, and did construction work for 25 years and I blend this skill into my lawn care. (To make more money) When first starting don't go get a big loan and buy all new equipment and get yourself in a big hole. When you first get started get some jobs lined up in the off season. Then only get the tools you need to just get started I recommend getting a used commercial ztr, a small trailer. Remember you need a mower that can make you some money. If you think your going to make a living with just a push mower you won't last long. I hope this helps some new guys out. KMZ Lawn Care.

Steve
02-20-2012, 02:21 PM
That is very interesting! What did you find was the most difficult time in your business timeline so far? Was it the startup? The first year? Or maybe something else and for those running into the same problem at the same time, what would you suggest to push forwards and get beyond that problem?

kmzlawncare
02-20-2012, 03:07 PM
The most difficult thing I guess is finding good help. I try to look and be professional.

pfreeman
02-20-2012, 03:21 PM
This first year has been difficult, but quite successful. We exploited our background, much like the Brickmason. We thought outside of the box and suggested multiple solutions to little problems that customers never knew what to do with or how to handle. Installing gutter drains, regrading steep back yards, and reworking gravel driveways helped fill in the gaps. I have obtained my tree pruners license and this has given us quite a bit of work over the winter.

kmzlawncare
02-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Nice to see somebody from Indiana on here sounds like your doing well. I have been finishing a basement for a customer of mine sine we have had very little snow this winter.

Steve
02-21-2012, 01:59 PM
I have been finishing a basement for a customer of mine sine we have had very little snow this winter.

WOW Any pictures of what you have done? How do you like performing that kind of work?

kmzlawncare
02-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Well I haven't took any pictures I will have to take some when I get a chance. I like doing this kind of work I have been doing it for years. I have to try to get this project done soon because march 1 we start mulching, clean ups, trimming bush's and get ready for the mowing season.

Steve
02-22-2012, 02:36 PM
The job you mentioned is a great example of how to keep yourself busy and profitable even through winter months when there is no snow.

kmzlawncare
03-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Here's a new fence I did for one of my customers last fall I laid up 10 new brick post and set all new stone caps.

Steve
03-05-2012, 03:54 PM
That looks fantastic! Can you tell us a little bit about the job. What the customer was looking for and how long it took to do it? Did you come upon any unforeseen issues while working on the job?

kmzlawncare
03-05-2012, 06:33 PM
That looks fantastic! Can you tell us a little bit about the job. What the customer was looking for and how long it took to do it? Did you come upon any unforeseen issues while working on the job?

This is a senior community and they are wanting more privacy so they wanted a new fence so they had me lay up the brick posts for the fence. I put new footing in one day then it took 3 or 4 days to complete I did 10 last fall and I'm supposed to do 10 every fall till it's all done. They only have a budget for 10 a year.

Steve
03-06-2012, 04:15 PM
WOW Now that is an interesting budget isn't it?

What is in the center of them when you construct the brick posts? I'd love to hear more on how they are built.