PDA

View Full Version : new kid on the block

lawnguy12
02-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Hi i am starting a lawn care business is southern michigan, any tips and advice would be well appreciated. thanks everyone i enjoying reading posts and the great info.

willshome
02-13-2012, 11:03 PM
1. get insured
2. door hangers
3. dont over spend "go small or go home"
4. door hangers
5. learn your cost per hour
6. DON'T LOW BALL
7. door hangers
8. dress like a pro
9. craigslist

Steve
02-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Welcome to our forum!

That is a great question and it is pretty broad too. I'd suggest start reading through posts on here and in my lawn care business blog (http://lawnchat.com/). As you read, you will learn more and have more questions that will be more specific we can help you with.

Keep us posted on how everything is going for you too.

lawnguy12
02-22-2012, 05:40 PM
I have a salesman deadset that gravely is best buy for price/reliability/performance anyone have any experience with a gravely

im looking at a pro-turn 100 series

Steve
02-23-2012, 01:38 PM
See if this post would be helpful

Gravely or Exmark? (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=12622)

lawnguy12
02-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks steve i read through your suggested post. I did however purchase the Gravely. for reasons such as this. The price coupled with the quality of product, features of machine such as suspension seat on all comercial models 1/4 increments on mowing height The service center is top notch in our area and been there forever. head mechanic for 20+ years, selling and servicing Gravely kubota and simplicity and he hands down recommends Gravely
and a friend of mine who runs exmark and has for awhile said its going to be a great machine for the price and if he was in the market for a new machine he would consider one. (he went with me of course)

pfreeman
02-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Don't be proud, find opportunities to expand your reach and influence.
Ask for referrals.
Ask for a letter of recommendation.
Increase your education level, education increases opportunities.
Leave your business card everywhere.
Think outside the box.

Hope this helps.

lawnguy12
03-03-2012, 05:18 PM
thanks guys, what do you think the % of bids put in, to bids accepted
like 20%
i know some of it has factors you cant compute but just as a guide.
Im bidding alot of commercial stuff getting good acceptance as far as letting me put bids in im just trying to figure out what i can expect.

Steve
03-05-2012, 02:14 PM
That's a really good question. I'd figure if the bid acceptance % was high, chances are your prices are too low. And conversely, if the acceptance was low, your prices would be too high.

The % accepted may change over time as your schedule fills up and you need to win less of them and instead you are tying to maximize your profit so you raise your prices more and if you win a bid at a higher price then that would be great.