PDA

View Full Version : Licensing and all that fun stuff

jklawncare
02-13-2012, 01:26 PM
I've recently went to legalzoom to try and make this whole business licensing thing i have been putting off a little easier. For the DBA for sole proprietorship and the tax form.

Here are the costs, is it worth it or should i try and do it all on my own?

Premium DBA - $99.00
Required Filing , Publication and Other Fees - IN - $30.00
30-Day Trial of Business Advantage Pro - Free
Tax ID Obtainment - $79.00

All together its a whopping 208.00

Just wondering if there was an easy, or cheaper way to go about all of this. Any help or advice at all would be great :D

dpld
02-13-2012, 01:54 PM
you don't need to go through all that as a DBA.
just register your business with the state and apply for a tax ID #, its free where i live and should be the same everywhere.

when you do your taxes as a DBA it is not much different from a regular tax return, all the same standard deductions and credits for the most part.

jklawncare
02-13-2012, 01:56 PM
you don't need to go through all that as a DBA.
just register your business with the state and apply for a tax ID #, its free where i live and should be the same everywhere.

when you do your taxes as a DBA it is not much different from a regular tax return, all the same standard deductions and credits for the most part.

Where should i go to get the forms? will they cost me anything upfront or to file? I have done some research in the past but have forgotten about everything :confused:

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Where should i go to get the forms? will they cost me anything upfront or to file? I have done some research in the past but have forgotten about everything :confused:

Town hall/City Hall.... It was $12 to file for me. They have the forms.

tax ID is free, go to http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=102767,00.html

Legalzoom is only good for LLC, other then that there ripping you off.

jklawncare
02-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Town hall/City Hall.... It was $12 to file for me. They have the forms.

tax ID is free, go to http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=102767,00.html

Legalzoom is only good for LLC, other then that there ripping you off.

Thank you so much :)
I went to my town hall last year hoping to register and they had no idea what i was talking about.. i guess ill try at it again.

a DBA is what i should be after correct? I'm the only owner, may hire an employee sooner or later.

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Thank you so much :)
I went to my town hall last year hoping to register and they had no idea what i was talking about.. i guess ill try at it again.

a DBA is what i should be after correct? I'm the only owner, may hire an employee sooner or later.
I would say register a business to the clerk not DBA. Every state is slightly different. I know I read some have to register with the state other the county.

Usually only Corps have to register with the Secretary of State.

TLC131
02-13-2012, 05:52 PM
My banker helped me through it because I had to have a tax ID# to get a business account. I am filed with the county and I'm not sure all of what i paid but I had to put a notice in the newspaper for some reason. it didnt cost $200 though.

CS-LawnService
02-13-2012, 06:05 PM
mine was all on line though west virginia cost a whole 31 dollars and tax id is free through fed gov

TiedemanLLC
02-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Go to your County Clerk. Normally its only around $10 to $20 for DBA. Of course all states are different though.

JeffK26
02-13-2012, 08:54 PM
This is what i did.

1-went to my state website and signed up for my LLC. Prices vary from state to state, $50 bucks in missouri.

2-Called my county asked the appropriate questions. taxes licenses i need. Turns out I need none in my county since a business is not assessed a tax unless they sell a product.

3 Called my city. turns out it's the same as my county.

Each state, county, city is different. Just touch base with each and ask them what a business needs to do to get started.

Do not pay a lawyer to fill out paperwork UNTIL you try it yourself and absolutely cannot figure it out AND have taken that paperwork into your county office and ask them to help. Do not assume you need a lawyer for paperwork until all else fails, it is a waste of money.

I've recently went to legalzoom to try and make this whole business licensing thing i have been putting off a little easier. For the DBA for sole proprietorship and the tax form.

Here are the costs, is it worth it or should i try and do it all on my own?

Premium DBA - $99.00
Required Filing , Publication and Other Fees - IN - $30.00
30-Day Trial of Business Advantage Pro - Free
Tax ID Obtainment - $79.00

All together its a whopping 208.00

Just wondering if there was an easy, or cheaper way to go about all of this. Any help or advice at all would be great :D

Steve
02-14-2012, 04:28 PM

Like Troy said, try your county court house and look for the clerk there to do it. There is probably a nominal filing fee, maybe $25?

Let us know how this turns out for you.

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
02-17-2012, 07:21 PM
This is what i did.

1-went to my state website and signed up for my LLC. Prices vary from state to state, $50 bucks in missouri.

2-Called my county asked the appropriate questions. taxes licenses i need. Turns out I need none in my county since a business is not assessed a tax unless they sell a product.

3 Called my city. turns out it's the same as my county.

Each state, county, city is different. Just touch base with each and ask them what a business needs to do to get started.

Do not pay a lawyer to fill out paperwork UNTIL you try it yourself and absolutely cannot figure it out AND have taken that paperwork into your county office and ask them to help. Do not assume you need a lawyer for paperwork until all else fails, it is a waste of money.

I agree 1000% lol

I actually called the state corporation commission and filed my business name then called the irs and got my tax id for free and then went to the state and got my fictitious name (so i could drop the INC) and so i could do business in that city and sent the fictitious name back off to the state all in all in VA it cost me $130 for everything.

Legal Zoom is a rip off i learned after my last business that lawyers are crooks!!!