PDA

View Full Version : Kohler Aegis LV625 20HP

marks500
02-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Any of you have experience with this Engine? I got a Friend that has a mower he is trying to sell for a very reasonable price.It is a 52inch Exmark Turf Tracer with Kohler Aegis LV625 20HP on it. I have never seen these motors before. Cant even really find that much about them on the internet as far as reviews. Wasnt sure if this was one of those motors that are Junk or not?

dpld
02-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Any of you have experience with this Engine? I got a Friend that has a mower he is trying to sell for a very reasonable price.It is a 52inch Exmark Turf Tracer with Kohler Aegis LV625 20HP on it. I have never seen these motors before. Cant even really find that much about them on the internet as far as reviews. Wasnt sure if this was one of those motors that are Junk or not?

i am not 100% sure but i think that motor has been retired along with the LV680.

parts are still available and the main difference is this and all aegis motors are liquid cooled which is fairly new to kohler and it has a better air filtration then what has been commonly used in the past by kohler.

20 hp on a 52" turf tracer is a little under powered especially if you use the vac-bag set up.
it will get the job done but being used and slightly under powered will effect it's longevity.

how old is it? and how many hours?
how much does he want?

if you go to your search and type in kohler aegis you should get many results.

willshome
02-13-2012, 10:14 AM
before I buy any power tool used I go talk to my parts guy, I bring everything I know about it model #, year, pic's... He tells me what he thinks, what to look for and if he can get parts. I got a 32" wb this past fall went and talked to him first, when I told him the brand he said "what" then he looked at the pics and told me who made every part. It was great to talk with him and he loved that i talked to him first he said "no one comes in first they buy then cry to him"

wandfsmall
02-13-2012, 11:44 AM

Kohler had issues with the Aegis engines that is why they were discontinued. In fact that is prob partly why I am not a fan of liquid cooled engines for mowers.

dpld
02-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Kohler had issues with the Aegis engines that is why they were discontinued. In fact that is prob partly why I am not a fan of liquid cooled engines for mowers.

even though my two walker mowers have kohler engines i have never been a fan of them and that is the biggest downfall of the walker brand mower in my opinion.
but in fairness to walker, it is the only motor that fits into their configuration.

definitely agree about the liquid cooled mower engines, i have had one and i will never buy one again.
too uch dust and clogging of the radiator and one more thing to fail.

marks500
02-13-2012, 02:19 PM
i am not 100% sure but i think that motor has been retired along with the LV680.

parts are still available and the main difference is this and all aegis motors are liquid cooled which is fairly new to kohler and it has a better air filtration then what has been commonly used in the past by kohler.

20 hp on a 52" turf tracer is a little under powered especially if you use the vac-bag set up.
it will get the job done but being used and slightly under powered will effect it's longevity.

how old is it? and how many hours?
how much does he want?

if you go to your search and type in kohler aegis you should get many results.

How is a 20HP underpowered for a 52 walkbehind?? I have two 48' Exmark Turf Tracer walkbehinds that I bought new and they only has 18HP and the other has a 19HP on it. Also I dont ever use a Bagging system, I do have one. But our Business does not bag anything.

It is a 2007 model mower with 1100 hrs on it. He wants 500 for it. Price is the only reason I am interested. But the engine has kinda scared me away from the deal. If it was such a great motor I would see more of them.

dpld
02-13-2012, 04:23 PM
How is a 20HP underpowered for a 52 walkbehind?? I have two 48' Exmark Turf Tracer walkbehinds that I bought new and they only has 18HP and the other has a 19HP on it. Also I dont ever use a Bagging system, I do have one. But our Business does not bag anything.

It is a 2007 model mower with 1100 hrs on it. He wants 500 for it. Price is the only reason I am interested. But the engine has kinda scared me away from the deal. If it was such a great motor I would see more of them.

compareing a walk behind to a rider is apples and oranges.

there is a lot more going on with the rider, more weight which results in more strain on the hydros which uses more power.
the drive belts for the blades is longer on the rider then the walk behind.

even if your walk behinds are hydros the system is totally different on the exmark rider and uses more of the engines power then the walk behind.
i have a couple hydro walk behinds that are around the 19hp mark and they have much more cutting power then the riders with 25 hp.

as far as bagging systems go does your walkbehinds have a bagging system with a blower?

the bagging system i am referring to on the exmarks is the one with the blower that ponies off of the drive belt for the deck.
a grass catcher will not alter the hp.

500 bucks sounds like a great deal but the mower is not that old and the hours are actually real low and it should be worth a lot more like closer to 3,500.00 and even if the guy is your best freind, why would he throw 3 grand away.
for me, the red flag is a discontinued motor that was only in production for a couple years and then being axed.
and if i was gonna unload a 5 year old mower with only 1,100 hours that probably cost at least 8 g's new i would be looking for more then 500.00 unless it was whooped.

either way good luck, but just keep in mind that those motors don't really give you much warning, they usually run pretty good or they are beat with nothing in between and what appears to be in good working order could come back and bite you in the tail.
also with a 5 year old machine the hydros could be hit or miss at that point and exmarks hydro parts are not cheap.

either way you will know more then me being you are there and i am not, just trying to give you some insight from another perspective of being around this stuff for the last 27 years of my life.
as they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.