PDA

View Full Version : aerator what kind?

willshome
02-12-2012, 10:49 AM
So I thinking about getting an aerator. any one use a tow behind? I was thinking that I could mount it on the back of my 32" walkbehind. Do they sell something like this, would it work? I know they sell thatchers for the front. I don't really need another tool with a small engine if not needed.

shadrach
02-12-2012, 04:06 PM
I have a 48" BlueBird tow aerator. Not sure if I would want to pull it with a walkbehind mower though.

ringahding1
02-13-2012, 01:49 AM
If you are seriously targeting aerating jobs, spend the money and get a gas powered walk behind aerator. You will regret trying to rig something up, when you could have already completed the job.
I actually have a pull behind from Northern Tool and Equipment, I mean that is a way to go, but not with a walk behind mower.

Steve
02-13-2012, 04:21 PM
I was thinking that I could mount it on the back of my 32" walkbehind.

How would you do that so it didn't interfere with your walking or become a safety hazard?

marks500
02-13-2012, 04:50 PM
So I thinking about getting an aerator. any one use a tow behind? I was thinking that I could mount it on the back of my 32" walkbehind. Do they sell something like this, would it work? I know they sell thatchers for the front. I don't really need another tool with a small engine if not needed.

I would Def. Get a good walkbehind Aerator. I am kinda confused how you could tow an aerator and still walk behind the mower???

I have a walkbehind one for my smaller yards and tight places and a Tow behind core aerator that I pull with my Exmark Lazer.

shadrach
02-13-2012, 05:11 PM
What about the new Exmark 30" stand on ?

Fireman Gus
02-13-2012, 06:55 PM
We have a small walkbehind aerater but last year bought a ZRATER for our Walker mower. It does great.

willshome
02-14-2012, 08:11 AM
I was thinking that i could mount under the handle bar (right on the back of the mower). But now thinking about it, could only maybe pull a spike aerator with out killing the trans. I think I will just rent one this year and keep my eye out for a good price on a used. At the same time I will be looking for z-turn and tow behind Thanks for all the input

wandfsmall
02-14-2012, 09:13 AM
I was thinking that i could mount under the handle bar (right on the back of the mower). But now thinking about it, could only maybe pull a spike aerator with out killing the trans. I think I will just rent one this year and keep my eye out for a good price on a used. At the same time I will be looking for z-turn and tow behind Thanks for all the input

I would not worry as much about killing the transmission as I would killing you, what if you happen to slip for some reason?

Steve
02-14-2012, 06:52 PM
I was thinking that i could mount under the handle bar

Ok this may not be a good idea, but I am just throwing it out there, could you make a mowing sulky / aerator that you sat on?

Lake Area Turf
02-14-2012, 08:23 PM
I like the blue bird walk behinds. they pull a good deep core, you know, like you really feel like your accomplishing something when you pick one up and look at the profile. Any aerater that pulls a good core i like:D

wandfsmall
02-15-2012, 08:35 AM
I like the blue bird walk behinds. they pull a good deep core, you know, like you really feel like your accomplishing something when you pick one up and look at the profile. Any aerater that pulls a good core i like:D

For a walk behind I like the Ryan stuff, take a look at it then if it is too high look at the rental places they sell them after a while.

shadrach
02-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Shouldn't be too hard tp find one of the smaller Ryan or Bluebird aerators used from a reantal place in the $500-$800 range. I saw several in that range towards the end of last year

TiedemanLLC
02-15-2012, 11:13 AM
I was actually going to suggest just renting a walk behind, before purchasing one. I wouldn't spend the money on a tow behind if you are going to drag it behind a wb mower.

I have personally used tow behind bluebird, and walk behind blue bird and turfco. Turfco is still not there 100% I feel. Just something is missing from their products still. I don't know if they didn't do enough in field testing or what it is.

Lake Area Turf
02-17-2012, 07:12 PM
For a walk behind I like the Ryan stuff, take a look at it then if it is too high look at the rental places they sell them after a while.

Ryan, also very good machines. Been around forever, and most importantly pulls a good core.

hansenslawncare
02-18-2012, 11:26 PM
I use a Lesco 32" aerator. It's a walk behind, gas powered, 5.5 hp honda and it works great.

No disrespect to anybody else, but I wouldn't rent one. Renting equipment can be expensive. I bought my aerator used off craigslist for under$600. If you rent one you'll probably pay $70 or so for the rental fee. That's at least one aeration job down the rain in rental costs.

But, that's just my 2 cents. Check out Jrco (http://www.jrcoinc.com/) they manufacture front mounted aerators for almost every commercial machine.

Local Edge Lawn Care
02-19-2012, 01:26 PM
We mostly run bluebird lawn aerators they seem to move pretty good and turning is a lot easier than some of the others.

blakelawn
02-20-2012, 04:55 PM
If you are seriously targeting aerating jobs, spend the money and get a gas powered walk behind aerator. You will regret trying to rig something up, when you could have already completed the job.
I actually have a pull behind from Northern Tool and Equipment, I mean that is a way to go, but not with a walk behind mower.

I've got a 42" zero turn with a hitch, how are those John Deere tow behind plug aerators? Any recommendations at all? Thanks guys!!!