PDA

View Full Version : Being U.S. DOT

nickeckes
02-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Does your truck and Trailer have to Be U.S DOT, some guy was trying to tell me if you have "company" Decals on your truck or trailer that you have to register with with u.s DOT and get a DOT # to display on your truck. . .

i tried reading about it online but there website is just like the DMV. . alot of garbage that don't make since..

i always thought you only need that if your gross of your vec. and trailer and what your hauling is over 10,000 pounds. . .

Any help here???

I'm also sure it don't matter what state your in either. as if sure it has some of the same rules and a trucking company has with the DOT

TiedemanLLC
02-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Does your truck and Trailer have to Be U.S DOT, some guy was trying to tell me if you have "company" Decals on your truck or trailer that you have to register with with u.s DOT and get a DOT # to display on your truck. . .

i tried reading about it online but there website is just like the DMV. . alot of garbage that don't make since..

i always thought you only need that if your gross of your vec. and trailer and what your hauling is over 10,000 pounds. . .

Any help here???

I'm also sure it don't matter what state your in either. as if sure it has some of the same rules and a trucking company has with the DOT

It's funny, because a lot of the garbage doesn't make sense. Some commercial division police officers will say one thing, while others another. If you actually read the rules, some say over 10,000lbs, while others say it doesn't matter what weight, if you are doing business, then you need a DOT.

I have personally contacted two different state police posts here in Michigan and I can never get a straight answer. I have talked with my insurance agent, and the Secretary of State, yet everyone's answers are different.

I personally don't understand why they don't have a clear booklet explaining everything, or perhaps even newspaper releases. Heck even if they would mention a town hall meeting so you could learn what is what, and ask questions would help.

CanadayLandscaping
02-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Being a truck driver by trade, the rules are so vague about most things, and then it depends on how you or the officer interpret them.

What I do know is, if the vehicle is being used for a company, and it has dual wheels on the rear, no matter the weight, it needs to display DOT numbers. I do not believe if you are running typical pick ups, you should not have to display or register with DOT.

Again, rules vary state to state. But I do know that the dual tire thing is across the board.

ringahding1
02-13-2012, 01:02 AM
If you are registered in the state of MinneSnowta as a commercial lawn care, or landscape company, you do. Yeah you put your name on the truck normally because they will tell you, it is the law.

If you have a trailer with electric brakes, you need the DOT # on your truck. You also have to do what truck drivers do, inspect all the safety features such as: tires, emergency brake, blinkers, headlights, signals, etc. and you have to have a certified daily log of this.

What if your trailer battery was dead and you did not know it, because you did not check the emergency cable during your inspection. I guarantee you the POLICE will do this when they pull you over for their inspection.

Ask yourself this question: Would I want a landscape trailer coming at my vehicle with a load of equipment and the emergency brakes were not working, because of a $20 battery?

Do not B~S around!!! Find out through your state what is actually required. You do not want to get hit with any fines for simply not knowing.

dpld
02-13-2012, 07:57 AM
my state in nj you only need the DOT# if you are doing interstate travel as well as hauling restricted or hazardous materials and loads over a certain GVW.

if you haul debris and bring it to a waste transfer station you will need that number as well regardless of what size your vehicle is.

as far as landscapers go, if you have your business name on your vehicle it must be registered commercially and if your vehicle is over 26,000 gvw or your trailer is over 10,000 gvw you will need a commercial drivers license.

i have a DOT# because i have a account with waste management and i am free to use any of their waste transfer stations nation wide for all my debris disposal.
eventually they will probably make it a requirement nation wide because it is another way for them to get you for money as well as the fines are drastically increased.

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-13-2012, 11:29 AM
my state in nj you only need the DOT# if you are doing interstate travel as well as hauling restricted or hazardous materials and loads over a certain GVW.

if you haul debris and bring it to a waste transfer station you will need that number as well regardless of what size your vehicle is.

as far as landscapers go, if you have your business name on your vehicle it must be registered commercially and if your vehicle is over 26,000 gvw or your trailer is over 10,000 gvw you will need a commercial drivers license.

i have a DOT# because i have a account with waste management and i am free to use any of their waste transfer stations nation wide for all my debris disposal.
eventually they will probably make it a requirement nation wide because it is another way for them to get you for money as well as the fines are drastically increased.

Thats almost exactly how CT is. The only difference is the debris.