PDA

View Full Version : Lake Area Turf

Lake Area Turf
02-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Greetings fellow turf and grounds people...

A little about myself and my new company, Lake Area Turf LLC.

I have over 15 years of experiance dealing with all aspects of golf course maintenance. Currently I am employed as an Asst. Golf Course Supt. and making transition into comercial and residential property maintenance.

My passion for the last 15 years has been the golf course but, since the golf industry is and has been steadily declining these past years Ive decided to diversify my skills and release them to the general public.LOL:)

The heart of my new company ( Lake Area Turf LLC) is a 93 chev 3500 w/ 3 yd dump in the box, snow plow, and A Vermeer big wheel stump grinder Recently Purchased :D).
Also a variety of the essential tree care equiptment, lawn sprayer, spreader, mowers and trimmer etc... and me.

None of which above would be possible without the support (and permision) of my beutiful fiance. Im an old fasion kind of guy and really dont enjoy being on the computer at all so that says a little about this site.

Looking forward to getting some good information from here and helping out others where my strengths in the business can apply. Thanks.

willshome
02-09-2012, 09:43 PM
hi,
So your going to do tree work? Are you insured for that?
Do you have any customers yet? what are you doing to get them?

Lake Area Turf
02-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Yes, Yes,Yes, and my main marketing source is from members of the golf course that employs me currently. I also have an extensive network in the surrounding golf industry.

dpld
02-10-2012, 09:31 AM
good luck to you and you are making a wise choice.
the golf course industry by me has steadily lowered their pay scales and brought in a lot of illegals and are pushing all the good head greens keepers out.

you should call yourself "lake area tree and turf care" being it seems you will be doing both.
by doing a lot of trees with a turf only name you might lose out on work due to people not thinking you did that by your name.

thegroundscrew
02-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Great point dpld I would definitly register the company name as "Lake Area Tree and Turf Care". I also worked for the *************s for one year at Overlake Golf and Country Club in Medina, WA and currently work in the pro shop. Doing both I gained lots of experience and was able to market my company to the members once I started working in the pro shop. It helped working as a grounds keeper because the members can see the excellent job we do on the course and they know that I have some idea of what I'm doing. It must be very beneficial for you as well.

Lake Area Turf
02-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks guys, the golf world has been very benificial for me being in the business for over 15 years you meet a lot of good people.
the reason i got into the green industry was to enjoy the work that i do. with the way things are going in the golf world this is the way, for me to get back into doing what i love to do and to work with a small network of true professionals. Managing people (employees) sucks, I hate it. :mad:I love to do the work and please my customers.

O yeah, this is my key to happiness...

Less people more dogs.:D

Steve
02-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Welcome to our forum!

What kind of plan do you have to include your great experience into your new venture's marketing?

Lake Area Turf
02-10-2012, 05:52 PM
steve, great site. Been a silent on looker for a while.
I have kept a good record of pictures of the large projects we have accomplished at the golf courses where ive been. But for now, I will keep plugging away at the G.C. and do the Lake Area Turf LLC thing on the side. That is until I can reach about half of my G.C. salary from Lake Area Turf LLC then make the full switch.

Also as some mentioned before to register as Lake Area Tree & Turf... too late:rolleyes: I will change to L.A. Turf and Tree but, have been doing so much paper work these last couple months trying to go legit for myself and keep up with the G.C. I really just need to get out in the field and do some work. For my own sanity...

Key to happiness: less people more dogs.

Steve
02-13-2012, 01:24 PM
With your background in turf care, do you feel you will be able to make some of your customer properties, real show pieces where their property stands out from neighboring properties?

Could doing that help you attract more customers?

Lake Area Turf
02-13-2012, 10:39 PM
steve I believe so. Ever hear the expression " a little knowledge can be very dangerous." Ive been out looking at some comercial properties and im really amazed at the neglect of plant and landscape materials. Im used to keeping a property 150 + acers neat, healthy, and under budget, from property line to property line. To see the money these guys taking care of these potential clients are leaving on the table excites me. Just the ability to see every detail i believe i have an edge on the competition.

Not to mention as a formally educated turf manager and a decade + of experiance Ive dealt with far more plant materials and tools than the next guy. The work is lineing its self up.

Steve
02-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Ive been out looking at some comercial properties and im really amazed at the neglect of plant and landscape materials

Being able to see that and point that out to the property manager should really help you grab their attention and win more bids! I bet you could really come up with a detailed plan for each property you visit and show the property owner what issues you see and how you would correct them.