PDA

View Full Version : Newbie!

RobW
02-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Hi Guys,

Robbie is my name. I moved to the USA just over 3 months ago from Ireland.
I currently live in Stamford Connecticut. I'm 30 years old next month!:mad:

Basically I'm on here looking for as much info as possible about Lawn Care.
I currently have NO EXPERIENCE in the industry. My plan is to get work/trained in lawn care while in America and then start my own business in Ireland when i return in 2 or 3 years.

The main areas that interest me would be the Lawn treatment end of things. i.e. fertilizing, aeration, scarification and seasonal lawn treatment programs.

My wife works full time here in Connecticut. That's why i'm over here because she got a transfer with her company. So this gives me the chance to start a new career and educate myself.

I was wondering if any of you guys would know of a company near Stamford CT looking for a trainee lawn care technician. I would be willing to work for FREE a few days a week to show that i am a willing and eager worker and after that if you like what you see and feel i would benefit your company i could maybe get a paid, full time job?

Sorry for the long intro and i hope it all makes sense.

I look forward to your reply's. Great website by the way.

Robbie :)

CHEESE2009
02-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Hey Robbie!

Well I can definitely see that you are excited about this, good for you!

So let's start off with what you would like to be doing. It seems as though you want to get involved with products and materials, so your best bet is to find a bargain on a product(s) that work well, and show fair results.

You can take a look around most stores and see what they have to offer, and you should seriously try to connect with somebody who can sell you product in bulk for an even lower price.

So once you've found the product that's right for you, you're going to need to figure out the whole "money" issue.

When charging a client, you need to consider a lot;

1. What are my competitors charging?

2. Am I covering the expense of the products/material I will be using?

3. Am I making an investment to replace the tools I will be using, just in case they break? (wear & tear)

4. Am I making an investment in newer tools, so that I can be more efficient in the future?

5. How much is my time worth?

Let's say your competitors are charging $100 to apply fertilizer. You now realize this is what's working in the industry, and now you have to make it work for you!

Let's say you spent $30 on a bag of fertilizer to do a property, you should now charge the client $30 PLUS a little extra so that you can actually save up for a new backpack sprayer, and then you will be able to use liquid fertilizer! Perhaps this will increase your productivity?

I'm not saying you should charge the client the entire price of a new back back sprayer, but you should definitely charge a small percentage of it.

So in total, let's say the price you come up with is now $40. You would now need to consider your other expenses, like traveling to the store and to the clients property (gas+time). Maybe even charge for future advertising and office supplies. Now let's say your price has gone up to $60.

Once that's taken care of, it's time to figure out how long the job will actually take you. Let's say you estimate that it'll take 2 hours.

How much would you like to make for those two hours? Considering your competitors get away with $100 per job, why not go right ahead and make $20/hr, which will bring your new total to exactly $100.00. :D

After you've done the job, you can correct yourself for the future. Maybe you should charge MORE than your competitors?! Who knows!

willshome
02-09-2012, 07:10 PM
I would not work for free. there are tons of jobs starting soon and if your willing to learn and work you will find a job in lawn care. Finding workers that work is very hard. Start walking everday lawn care is alot of walking and work

RobW
02-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the advice so far guys! ;)

Steve
02-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Hi Robbie,

Welcome to our forum!

I don't think you will have trouble finding a job in the lawn care field. Take a look on craigslist and see what companies are in your area that are advertising either for employees or for work. Send emails to all of them.

Keep us posted on how it all turns out for you.

RobW
02-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks Steve! :)