PDA

View Full Version : Spray on mulch dye

knosaj
02-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Does anyone use these? What are the pros and cons? With limited experience I can only imagine they work well, especially with a built in fertilizer or something.

Besides replacing missing or decomposed mulch, Isn't one of the main reasons to remulch is for the curb appeal of dark fresh mulch?

Thanks once again!

I thought I had invented this stuff until a quick google search proved that I wasn't quite so clever.

dpld
02-09-2012, 08:56 AM
well, it is also for the retention of moisture in the soil as well as puts a non competitive median around the tree that does not absord all the nutrients in the soil like grass would do for example.

i have used the dyes in the past and they are messy as well as you have to worry about over spray and to do it right you need to have someone raking the mulch up and mixing it in so the color gets through out the mulch.

if you just spray topically then afterwards if the mulch gets disturbed you can see the difference night and day.

the people that sell you the product don't tell you that you need to mix up the mulch when applying it as well as redo all your edges. they make sound as though all you have to do is get a back pack sprayer and walk around and spray away.
when the dyes are used in the mulch manufacturing process it is usually is getting sprayed a couple of times when it is first falling on the conveyor and when it is falling off the conveyor before it ends up on the pile.

the stuff they are selling is the same thing.
i think dyed mulch is cheesy looking and it fades way to fast and more often then not after it gets bleached from the sun the customers will complain.

like i said i tried it in the past and for me the cost and effort did not result in any better of a profit as well as the finish product to dyeing and remulching did not compare.
just for the record, i am not a sell sell guy where i keep pushing mulch on people and put so much down that the property looks abound with volcano trees.
i keep a solid 3 to 4 inches and if there is plenty of mulch we just turn it over and re mix it and rake it and it looks fresh as a daisy and that is more profitable then spraying the dye.
all you need is a back with a hat and a cultivating rake and no materials you can charge a fair price for them and make yourself some easy money.

if there is not enough mulch then they need more and if there is allready a good amount of mulch, instead of dyeing turn it over and you and your customer will be happier and so will the shrubs and trees.

i seen a guy dye some mulch and then they had a big rain and it ran right off the mulch onto the walway and drive and it stained it all.
that did not turn out too well and just that alone is enough to make me say, no thanks.

when we drive down the road we can spot a krylon mulch job a mile a way.