PDA

View Full Version : Starting up in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia!

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
02-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Well you see the screen name and thats my business.....lol

I actually haven't bought my rig yet but I am getting all of the logistics out of the way first before making any big purchases.

I have got my License and insurance out of the way and now im about to buy my trailer and mowers.

Im kinda stuck between getting a small trailer with a nice 0 turn and have a 22" self propelled where the 0 turn wont fit and be done pretty quick except for the back yards were the 0 turn wont fit.

or

To go out and buy a nice walk behind that will fit everywhere and take a little longer to cut along with the big nice trailer that i can grow into that will be almost empty.

Any advice will be appreciated as I am new to this and thats why I have come here!

willshome
02-08-2012, 08:01 PM
both would work. what kind of yards are you going to do small,big, fenced? what way would cost less? Do you have any lawns yet?

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
02-08-2012, 08:44 PM
both would work. what kind of yards are you going to do small,big, fenced? what way would cost less? Do you have any lawns yet?

Thats what I have been lookin at I would like to get into the higher end jobs eventually but starting I want to do residential to get my foot into the door.

I was about to start handing out flyers and put a banner on my truck and see what kind of cliental I will be starting with I know the fenced yards I will loose time but will make up with the non fenced yards.

Thats what i am so torn in-between about is that the cost is about the same but I also in the future would like to upgrade to a 18FT enclosed and either the walk behind or the 0 turn depending on what I decide not to go with.

willshome
02-08-2012, 09:36 PM
I would be careful spending money with no jobs lined up and around here the new guy gets the lawns with the gates no one wants to do. Are you buying new? do you have a blower, trimmer, hand tools, leaf loader....? There is no job you can't do with a 22" if you have more time then money.

Steve
02-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Welcome to our forum!

What is your view on why not just start small and basic and scale up as needed?

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
02-09-2012, 06:16 PM
I would be careful spending money with no jobs lined up and around here the new guy gets the lawns with the gates no one wants to do. Are you buying new? do you have a blower, trimmer, hand tools, leaf loader....? There is no job you can't do with a 22" if you have more time then money.

Well the only reason I say that I wanted to buy a decent rig to start is because I have a full time job but this is what I really want to do once I have enough cliental and then the plan was to quit my full time job and do this full time. I do have rakes, shovels, blower, trimmer, edger, trash cans and etc.... but I do not have anything for the leaf season which I was going to invest next fall when that time is rolling around.

I want to look like a 1st class operation that is why I have been debating on doing a few different options and when I had everything i was going to start goin neighborhood to neighborhood with flyers and try to get started that way.

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
02-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Welcome to our forum!

What is your view on why not just start small and basic and scale up as needed?

Thank you!

in my ^^^ post I kind of explained that a little bit but do you think thats what I need to do???

stevef1201
02-09-2012, 06:27 PM
For the most part people dont care what your 'rig' looks like, A clean good looking truck, a working mower, working equipment is whats important.

Remember thsi:

Your customer does not care how hard you work, what equipment you had to use, what they care about is does the yard look good, and is the cost reasonable.

wandfsmall
02-09-2012, 06:41 PM
For the most part people dont care what your 'rig' looks like, A clean good looking truck, a working mower, working equipment is whats important.

Remember thsi:

Your customer does not care how hard you work, what equipment you had to use, what they care about is does the yard look good, and is the cost reasonable.

I think that depends on the client. You show up to some high end neighborhoods with a tractor mower and you will loose jobs as appearances mater to some people.

willshome
02-09-2012, 07:40 PM
If looks are what your thinking about (and I fully understand)
I would go with a bigger used trailer with racks (trimmers & blower) give it a fresh coat of paint and good signs
Most 99.99% of customer don't know anything about mowers. I would get a basic walk behind (they last long time) and you will want a backup mower later and this would be great

Steve
02-10-2012, 02:18 PM
A couple of thoughts I have on this are, how will you know you will like this until you get your feet wet a bit and would it be nicer to put less money in early on and have the rest of your money as back up in case you decide to take your business into a new direction that you hadnt initially thought of?

For instance, look at our member picframer, he started with lawn care but quickly found a lot more profitable work in light excavation so he changed his business course and found much success because of it. If he didn't have the money to buy the equipment he needed to do that, he might not have even attempted to go in that direction.

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
02-11-2012, 08:18 PM

Remember thsi:

This is great advice I do kinda feel like it is what it is all they want is the right outcome i remember thats probably why i made so much $$$ when I was young in my neighborhood with my mower gas can and bicycle lol

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
02-11-2012, 08:21 PM
I think that depends on the client. You show up to some high end neighborhoods with a tractor mower and you will loose jobs as appearances mater to some people.

This is my concern because ultimately I would like to work in the high end neighborhoods in Williamsburg because i believe this is where the real $$$ is to be made from leaf clean up and lawn care as well is plowing when it snows.

But I understand i have to start somewhere so thats why I was going to start doing small residential until I get my foot in the door.

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
02-11-2012, 08:24 PM
If looks are what your thinking about (and I fully understand)
I would go with a bigger used trailer with racks (trimmers & blower) give it a fresh coat of paint and good signs
Most 99.99% of customer don't know anything about mowers. I would get a basic walk behind (they last long time) and you will want a backup mower later and this would be great

I actually have made up my mind for now kinda lol

Looks are where it is at I believe so I am going to buy a new walk behind and a 5 x 10 utility trailer with 2ft screened in sides for (mulching season) then add the racks. This way everything is new and will get me @ least 2 years to start.

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
02-11-2012, 08:27 PM
A couple of thoughts I have on this are, how will you know you will like this until you get your feet wet a bit and would it be nicer to put less money in early on and have the rest of your money as back up in case you decide to take your business into a new direction that you hadnt initially thought of?

For instance, look at our member picframer, he started with lawn care but quickly found a lot more profitable work in light excavation so he changed his business course and found much success because of it. If he didn't have the money to buy the equipment he needed to do that, he might not have even attempted to go in that direction.

I appreciate this input Steve as you see the above post what I am going to buy then im going to save so that I can get a commercial 0 turn and 18-20 ft enclosed trailer and start bidding commercial jobs and apartment complexes when I get a little more experience and I am ready to dive into this full time and leave my job!

Thanks for everyones inputs!!

Will

DeMenkey
02-11-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm from Hampton Road's Area myself. :-D Haven't been back home for awhile. Hope it works for ya!

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
02-11-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm from Hampton Road's Area myself. :-D Haven't been back home for awhile. Hope it works for ya!

THANK YOU MUCH!!!

I have got my fingers crossed lol

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
02-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Also what would be the best way to try and get some accounts that maybe some other companies either don't want or don't have time for because they are to busy or have to many accounts already???

Steve
02-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Also what would be the best way to try and get some accounts that maybe some other companies either don't want or don't have time for because they are to busy or have to many accounts already???

Are you thinking about contacting other lawn care business owners in your area and asking them to send their overflow of business your way or are you looking more to be marketing to the consumer to do this?

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
02-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Are you thinking about contacting other lawn care business owners in your area and asking them to send their overflow of business your way or are you looking more to be marketing to the consumer to do this?

No I was thinking to contact some other companies and try to get something worked out like I take north and I send them my south of if they have to many accounts when new ones pop up to give me a call if they cant cut them!

Would that be crazy do you think????

Steve
02-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Well it never hurts to ask. Maybe you will be in the right place at the right time for something to come out of it.

Keep us posted.