PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Advocate

Ducke
02-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Up here in Canada we have show on the CBC that's called "Market Place" Its kind of like 60 min but about consumer rip offs etc...
Well this week on Friday at 8pm eastern they are doing an investigation into WEED MAN .

Market Place on CBC (http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/)

Snake In The Grass
We Canadians are tolerant people. We'll grudgingly put up with long lineups, discourteous drivers and other invasions of our personal space and patience.

But don't you mess with our lawns and gardens.

Tom Harrington reveals the story of how, for many unwilling clients, Canada's largest lawn care company has become a more invasive pest than the ones they promise to get rid of.

What do you do with a lawn care outfit that won't take no for an answer? Marketplace exposes their over the top tactics, and we speak with an insider who worked for the company.

How to Avoid Getting Ripped Off by Lawn Care Companies
1. Don't agree to anything over the phone. Ask for a written contract with price quotes and explanations of what is being done and read the fine print carefully. If a company tells you that you said 'yes' over the phone or at the front door, tell them you need to see a contract because according to Ontario's Consumer Protection Act, 2002, if you do not receive a written agreement, it is not binding.

2. Look at the company's track record. In order to help you decide which company to hire, check with your local Ministry of Consumer Services for more information.

3. Get more than one quote for the work you want done.

4. Check to see if the company you plan to hire is properly licensed and insured.

5. Check on the work as its being done to ensure you are getting what you paid for.

6. If you need to file a complaint against a lawn care company, write to your local Ministry of Consumer Services. They need something in writing in order to take action.

7. Consider doing your own lawn treatment and maintenance. Many products are now available at home improvement stores. It might be the easier…and in some cases, the cheaper option.

Ducke
02-08-2012, 04:52 PM
anyone got any ideas how someone could use this to their advantage ??
especially now with the start of the new season right around the corner.

CHEESE2009
02-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Where can I watch this? This looks amazing.

Kind of makes me nervous, but at the same time I suppose it's beneficial.

I'm very curious as to what it's about. I have heard lots of complaints saying they show up and do work that wasn't requested, yet bill the homeowners anyway. Could this be what it's about? Feeding off of the generosity/guilt of homeowners?

... If so, I'm jealous... I want generous/guilty clients! My clients would spit on me if they could get away with it.

Ducke
02-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Where can I watch this? This looks amazing.

Kind of makes me nervous, but at the same time I suppose it's beneficial.

I'm very curious as to what it's about. I have heard lots of complaints saying they show up and do work that wasn't requested, yet bill the homeowners anyway. Could this be what it's about? Feeding off of the generosity/guilt of homeowners?

... If so, I'm jealous... I want generous/guilty clients! My clients would spit on me if they could get away with it.

Friday at 8 pm, Market Place, CBC TV

CHEESE2009
02-08-2012, 06:37 PM
LMAO!!!

My bad. I am retarded on Wednesdays.

Ducke
02-08-2012, 07:43 PM
That's all right I understand man.

CHEESE2009
02-08-2012, 08:15 PM
This show is now my favorite.

I've been watching all of their episodes online. Love it!

Thanks Ducke!

(sometimes I think it's just you and me on this forum) <- LOL

Steve
02-09-2012, 02:53 PM
anyone got any ideas how someone could use this to their advantage ??

I would take that list and spin it to put you in a positive light.

Maybe have a headline that says "How to Avoid Getting Ripped Off by Lawn Care Companies"

Under that maybe say there are a lot of fly by night lawn care businesses operating in the area and the only way to be sure you are being cared for instead of being taken advantage of is to follow these suggestions.

1. Make sure the lawn care business is insured and have them prove it by showing you a proof of insurance. (we are insured and can prove it to you)

2. Don't agree to anything over the phone. Ask for a written contract with price quotes and explanations of what is being done and read the fine print carefully. (we provide all our customers with contracts so they know what they are getting for their money.)

etc etc

The thing I would take out would be 3. Get more than one quote for the work you want done. and I would replace it with another suggestion that would put you in the spotlight.

Ducke
02-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Some great points Steve.
I think it would be to my advantage to do this now as to wait for March April time frame
I already have a spring flyer but I think I might just do up something special for the weed man people in the area The tech that did this area is a good friend of mine so he is going to put together a list for me.
I kind of feel cheap using these kind of tactics but they (weed man) have brought this on them selves.

willshome
02-09-2012, 03:51 PM
I would make the heading " AS SEEN ON TV " then the list like Steve said. then at the bottom put then website of the news for them to look up "for more info"

Steve
02-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Putting such marketing out a little before your competitors would be great. Maybe you could even put in small letter, 'save this flyer on your refrigerator and share these tips with family and friends.' Doing something like that might encourage them to let others know about the tips you included and potentially even mention your business.

I think I might just do up something special for the weed man people in the area

Keep us posted on how it all turns out. I bet it will look great.

CHEESE2009
02-10-2012, 05:28 PM
The episode comes on tonight!!!

LOL

Ducke got me hooked on this show, I've watched just about every episode they have.

Are Americans able to see the videos on the site??

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Watched the show and what a grimey company. For anyone who is wondering whats the fastest way to get jobs. Follow the lead of weed man and just preform unrequested work.

CHEESE2009
02-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Watched the show and what a grimey company. For anyone who is wondering whats the fastest way to get jobs. Follow the lead of weed man and just preform unrequested work.

This reminds me of the 'Gym' episode they have. Same exact problem when it comes to cancelling gym memberships, the clients still get billed.

I can understand that a lot of paperwork needs to be evaluated at certain head offices, and that takes time. These sort of companies do get a lot of cancellations etc, probably so much that they can't always get around to cancelling service immediately, especially when the company would much rather focus on building clientele - things are bound to get hairy. None the less, it's not 'right'.

Basically, they would need to fork out a lot of money just to have staff working on cancellations, I don't think that's their best interest.

Let's not forget that they are also franchising. All it takes is one franchise owner to screw it up for the entire industry. Maybe they have a quota policy in place per each franchiser to keep their business?

(i'm doing my best to understand their point of view)

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-10-2012, 11:08 PM
This reminds me of the 'Gym' episode they have. Same exact problem when it comes to cancelling gym memberships, the clients still get billed.

I can understand that a lot of paperwork needs to be evaluated at certain head offices, and that takes time. These sort of companies do get a lot of cancellations etc, probably so much that they can't always get around to cancelling service immediately, especially when the company would much rather focus on building clientele - things are bound to get hairy. None the less, it's not 'right'.

Basically, they would need to fork out a lot of money just to have staff working on cancellations, I don't think that's their best interest.

Let's not forget that they are also franchising. All it takes is one franchise owner to screw it up for the entire industry. Maybe they have a quota policy in place per each franchiser to keep their business?

(i'm doing my best to understand their point of view)
The quotas are a possibility.

The reason most of us use contracts is to show scope of work and so we can get paid. These guys found a way around it by using their size. If you tell these guys you want a free quote they take that as approval of work. Imagine going to a auto repair place to get a estimate and getting a bill instead. This wouldnt work in any service field. I dont see how there getting away with it.