PDA

View Full Version : Landscapers Required Nursery Dealer License

jrwalker333
02-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Hello,

I was wanting to know if anybody has been required to obtain a Dealer Nursery License for just planting shrubs or trees? The reason I ask is we are fully state registered, licensed with the Department Of Agriculture, Have a Service Vendors License, Workers Compensation, Full Coverage Insurance, run all commercial truck, trailer tags, strictly by the book and law have been affiliated in the green industry for 32 years.

The other day a ODA Inspector came to our business asked for that specific License (Nursery Dealer License) we do not stock trees, shrubs, nor have a holding area or grow them. In disbelief I contacted our state Dept of Agriculture and they said this is a license for anybody that plants trees or shrubs, etc and they are required to obtain this for $125 and then if you grow it is another $100 plus some $11 per each planted acre. I asked them why then the nurseries in our state that sell wholesale to all of us landscapers do not ask us all for this required license as it is required of them to do so according to the dept of Agriculture. The only reason as we were approached as we are affected by the ALB (Asian Long Horned Beetle) and we offered our companies services to all of our neighbors in the affected area wholesale prices on trees and deep discounts on labor to help our neighbors to restore our community. I have also contacted some of our big nursery suppliers asking them to explain why they do not inform all of us small companies so we can be in total compliance with the Laws! I am not talking about pesticide or general business license. This again is a Nursery Dealer License according to the State Of Ohio Department of Agriculture we all must buy to plant a single shrub in the ground or to plant even flowers. Anybody have this issue before? We are of course paying for ours but I think it is just another way for the states Dept Of Agriculture to collect more fees. I guess next time I wont be so willing to help folks in need. If you know about the ALB Problem you will know they are destroying our land that is mankind for trying to control natural nature to protect the almighty profits, which they have destroyed more trees in a month then the beetles have done or would have done in hundreds of years. Appreciate any comments.

Thanks Rich

willshome
02-07-2012, 08:19 PM
THAT MAKES ME SICK!! Why do they make it so hard to do the right thing. When we go get a business license they should ask us what we do and they should print a list of what we may need. If they don't know how should we. Did you get a fee or fine for not knowing your breaking the law.

stevef1201
02-07-2012, 08:42 PM
sounds like somebody told them that you were uncutting thier outragous prices. If I were you I would have a freind start calling for estimates and ask each responder for HIS license, but you would find out who screwed you.
Of course what you do about that is up to you, I know what I would do

JeffK26
02-07-2012, 10:37 PM
It sucks, but all it is is the Mr. Big Brother Government trying to get more money.

They preach about small business friendly, but in reality they don't care about anything but getting more money from people that make money.

CS-LawnService
02-08-2012, 05:20 AM
Here in West Virginia we need a nursery License for any hard woods ( trees/shrubs ect...) its only 60 a year and no test of any type just fill out a form and send it in.
I guess the good part is you can then run a nursery at your office selling plants and trees :D

Steve
02-08-2012, 02:54 PM
I am amazed. Each new regulation seems to bring with it a new fee for a license or registration. It's no wonder so many businesses operate under the table, there is just no way to be sure how many licenses or fees you have to purchase until an inspector pays a visit.

I appreciate you giving us the heads up about it.

jrwalker333
02-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the responses, as far as checking whom supposedly turned us in of course we already know it is a competitor of ours locally. No fines as we are already licensed by them in numerous other certifications, or at least as of yet. As far as having a Nursery Dealer License in our state again required by anyone for planting, again this does not give you right though to have a nursery, stock or grow that requires a different license. Someone mentioned that above.

Some of the biggest companies in our area nurseries with sales between $10 million and $100 million yearly range have never asked us or anybody for the required license and I have been buying from most of them for over 25 years. I agree with you all they should initially compile (state) of all required permits etc needed. To my surprise I could not believe some guys do not even have a state vendor license (required by law) to operate don't collect taxes, Don't have a federal tax Id Number etc... Wow could I make some real profit if I ran under the table as I think about 50% of all of our competition does here. Thanks Again